• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The pension gap; California is an asshole

This year, state employee pensions will cost taxpayers $5.4 billion, according to the Department of Finance. That’s more than the state will spend on environmental protection, fighting wildfires and the emergency response to the drought combined.

And it’s more than 30 times what the state paid for retirement benefits in 2000, before the effects of the new pension law, SB 400, had kicked in, according to data from the California Public Employees’ Retirement System.

Came across the article yesterday and when I saw it posted here my first thought was yk found it.  Here's another small article that talks about how Calpers responded to local governments that want out:

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/09/19/dear-govt-workers-about-those-pensions/1/

The fact that the state doesn't ever tackle these growing issues much like the feds don't do anything to seriously address SS/Medicare is why I fear our state and country unraveling from within more so than I do from outside influences.   

This is going to be like the bubble in the 2000's.  Everyone could see the problem.  Houses, doubling, trippling in price in a matter of months.  0% loans with practically no credit check.  People refinancing and buying, because on paper all these things said they could.  Then people realizing, how could someone that makes 30k a year, get $2 million in loans?  Then boom goes the dynamite.

This is what the pensions will do.  It's already affecting places like Detroit, and Illinois.  And yet it's them, can't happen to us.  Boom.

Our California government is busy with more pressing matters:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/09/19/cow-fart-regulation-passed-into-california-law/

Cow Fart Regulation Passed Into California Law

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation that regulates emissions from dairy cows and landfills for the first time as California broadens its efforts to fight climate change beyond carbon-based greenhouse gases.

• 2 months later...
On September 19, 2016 at 9:04 AM, Glen said:

If I live to retirement age I'll be set, assuming whomever is president next doesn't destroy the country.  I'll have military and civil service retirement, and social security.  I'll just be too old to do much with it.

bollox (been watching a lot of BBC lately)

you'll be able to pay for that new hip ..... in cash! 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

bollox (been watching a lot of BBC lately)

you'll be able to pay for that new hip ..... in cash! 

Mexicans in the US of A watching the BBC, what has this world come to?

By the way, the Romans, at the height of their power, built Hadrian's wall to keep the English out in 122 AD. Shortly thereafter the empire started to decline.

Emperor Trump Von Clownstick is going down in history.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

By the way, the Romans, at the height of their power, built Hadrian's wall to keep the English out in 122 AD. Shortly thereafter the empire started to decline.

IMG_6029.JPG

6 hours ago, Lawrence said:

LOL at the city of Irwindale.  Market Pension Debt/Household $134,907. 

What's even sadder.  New York is ranked 19th at $40,812.  But we are keeping good company with #3 at $84,353 that bankrupt state of Illinois. 

20 hours ago, wopphil said:

This is the type of issue that has created the political climate that lead to Trump being elected president. It serves to demonstrate just how vile politicians really are.

In the end there is no representation for the tax payer in our current political climate. Passing spending bills is a big win for virtually every politician and recipient organization. It's like a child with mommy's credit card with no spending limit.

On 12/3/2016 at 4:43 AM, Blarg said:

Never heard it spun that way,  Hadrian's Wall was built as a marker that the Roman Empire would not try to expand beyond (the first emperor to end the philosophy of expanding the empire for expansions sake)., then he built a wall as a rampart to defend against raids. So you are saying that Trump needs to keep invading neighbors,  looting and subjugating them in order to not being seen as a "Clownstick?"

I see our analogy to the long slow fall of Rome much more related to the political system being used as a way to enrich the politicians and  politically protected classes, and not worry about the well-being of the country.