• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Classic Baseball Photos

On 9/11/2016 at 1:23 PM, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Wow, how much hitting talent is there on that couch?

Yep. Not just that those guys were good, and not just because they're hall of famers. It's that they are sacred cows, guys who are still talked about years and years after they died...guys who everyone since has tried to live up to, whether it's legit or more myth. 

All 3 of those guys are in a class that only guys like Griffey, magic johnson/bird/jordan, Montana, Ali, tyson, etc are in. Not just the best of their time, but were bigger than the game. Non fans were "fans" of those guys, and guys like them

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 8:09 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Gibson, Marichal, Drysdale

Three of the most intensely competitive pitchers ever, and in the same decade

It's crazy to remember that Marichal finished his career with the team that he formerly sooo despised (the Dogs).

Saw them all pitch. Gibson several times up close and personal at Wrigley Field. The vocabulary of players in the day was pretty colorful. Met Drysdale when he was an announcer, walking through Dodger Stadium with Harry Caray. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Leroy "Satchel" Paige watches his Cleveland teammates practice in 1948.

Leroy "Satchel" Paige watches his Cleveland teammates practice in 1948.

I saw Satch pitch in an "Old Timers" game in Cleveland, must have been 1962 or 63.

Nobody could hit him even then. What ever happened to old timers games? Must have gone out with double-headers.

9 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

There was never a player who loved the game more. I wish he was alive to see the Cubs today.

santo-heel-click-1969.jpg

Jack Tripper's inspiration?    He always did that whenever he met a beautiful woman.

Ron Santo was a type of 3B that the Halos have lacked for quite some time now.   Good fielder, clutch hitter with power

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Jack Tripper's inspiration?    He always did that whenever he met a beautiful woman.

Ron Santo was a type of 3B that the Halos have lacked for quite some time now.   Good fielder, clutch hitter with power

Saw him hit a walk off homer against Bob Gibson. Laser shot to left at Wrigley.

ronnie.jpg

I know the guy had demons and was no saint  (and not the reason he killed himself) but I can't help but feel for him in this photo. Maybe because I feel it represents more than just him. Gene Autry, Gene Mauch, Brian Downing, Bobby Grich, Don Baylor, Bill Buckner, Houston and Angel Fans, and my dad. I was only a year and a half old in '86 so I didn't experience it like most of you (my '86 came in '95).

I grew up listening to my dad tell stories about this game (and the '82 series) while we were stuck in commute traffic while he took me to school. I didn't quite grasp the emotional let down and never will. But I've watched the game on YouTube and I catch myself thinking maybe that forkball will have just enough snap to it and the outcome will be different this time.

2016-09-15-17-08-01--144749648.jpg

So many things went wrong besides one Moore pitch.

Lucas decides to hit his only batter faced with his only pitch thrown, first lefty batter hit by him in years.

Wilfong fails to advance to 2B on his tieing single after Evans threw to the plate to try to get Jones.

A red hot DeCinces is unable to drive in the winning run with just a FB in the bottom of the 9th.

Grich hits a loopy liner back to the pitcher to end the 9th.

Rice barely catches Pettis' drive at the LF fence in the 10th, otherwise, the pennant is won.