• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bandy

I know theres other threads for this guy, but whats everyones take? With work and the team in the dumps i havent watched near as many games this year, but does he like a real deal type? Not superstar, but legit starter to cover C for the next few years? Or is he playing a bit above his head right now?

He's a better defender than Napoli was, with seemingly a more accurate arm. Won't quite have Napoli's power, but I think could settle in as an overall above average regular. One interesting thing about his minor league record is that he gets hit by a ton of pitches, which boosts his OBP a bit. 75 HBP in 426 minor league games translates to 20-25 per season.

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I know theres other threads for this guy, but whats everyones take? With work and the team in the dumps i havent watched near as many games this year, but does he like a real deal type? Not superstar, but legit starter to cover C for the next few years? Or is he playing a bit above his head right now?

I think both might be true. His minor league numbers say he shouldn't be this good a hitter so he likely will regress offensively. But given his defensive value he's still a perfectly acceptable starter, even if his bat regresses quite a bit. I see that as his floor with his ceiling being an above average catcher.

Bandy is better than Ianetta defensively so I think he'll get more playing time if he can put up decent offensive numbers. But I think about 125 games will be the upper limit. And honestly, that is fine for a decent catcher. 

I think average regular catcher is what Bandy will be, and that's great. Maybe his offense improves and he turns into a good starter and occasional all-star. There's nothing wrong with either option!

4 hours ago, ScottyA_MWAH said:

Scioscia runs a timeshare at catcher. Even when Iannetta was having his best season he was still routinely being substituted for. Bandy is going to be a very good major league catcher for a very long time. But I don't think he'll be a starter than plays more than 100 games a year.

And not only does he run a timeshare he rarely allows a young catcher like Bandy to pick up the bulk of games, he usually relies on the more veteran player and they allow the younger one to gain 2-3 years experience before taking over the head job.

I keep expecting him to go through a brutal week or two, and he hasn't. He barely strikes out, he takes a walk here and there, he makes good contact, and he's a big enough dude to really drive the ball. And Scioscia seems to be high on him.

I'm all about Bandy at this point. I go in to next season with him as my starting catcher for 100 games, easy. Even if he drops down to a .220/.300/.420 line he's well worth it, but I'm not sure that's going to happen with his contact rate. His BABIP isn't inflated either.

I think Bandy's offensive profile is that one of one that actually improves in the major leagues vs what he was in the minors.  Bandy isn't going to be the sole catcher, Scioscia just doesn't play his catchers that way.  Bandy's not expected to control the entire pitching staff on his own and add the pressure of making to the major leagues.  He's made it. 

Now, he hits when he's fresh, relaxed and in the zone.  If he goes in a slump, that's fine.  Scioscia will give him some time off until he gets his swing back.  Sharing time with another good defensive catcher like Carlos Perez really helps the Angels pitching staff.  And when either of them are hitting, it's really a bonus.  

I think that at the end of the day, the Angels will get more value from the catching position than most teams will, and Bandy plays a big role in that. 

On 8/24/2016 at 9:39 PM, Oz27 said:

I think both might be true. His minor league numbers say he shouldn't be this good a hitter so he likely will regress offensively. But given his defensive value he's still a perfectly acceptable starter, even if his bat regresses quite a bit. I see that as his floor with his ceiling being an above average catcher.

Yeah, I don't know that we aren't seeing the real Jett Bandy...  Keep in mind he's spent the bulk of his time in A and AA in severe pitcher's parks.  To date his wOBA is right in line with what he's done at AA and AAA the last two years... given catcher's are often slow to develop offensively -- we might actually be seeing what he's capable of.    If he ends up settling in as a .250/.325/.425 hitter I think we would have to call that a win -- particularly when we take into account that the AL average catcher is sitting at .682 this season.  Mostly, I just want to see his OBP continue to be a strength.

46 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, I don't know that we aren't the real Jett Bandy...  Keep in mind he's spent the bulk of his time in A and AA in severe pitcher's parks.  To date his wOBA is right in line with what he's done at AA and AAA the last two years... given catcher's are often slow to develop offensively -- we might actually be seeing what he's capable of.    If he ends up settling in as a .250/.325/.425 hitter I think we would have to call that a win -- particularly when we take into account that the AL average catcher is sitting at .682 this season.  Mostly, I just want to see his OBP continue to be a strength.

If he ends up a .750 OPS hitter then you're probably talking about a top six or seven catcher in baseball. I'm a bit more pessimistic but I can still see him settling north of .700 and if he does that he will be a very valuable player. His defensive skill set means he can be worse than that with the bat and still an acceptable primary catcher and even if his offense completely tanks, he'll make it work as a backup.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

given catcher's are often slow to develop offensively...

Exception = Posey. Damn, I wish the baseball gods would have let us sign him out of high school.

edit - didn't start catching till his second year in college after smart move by a coach so it wouldn't have mattered. He was a helluva pitcher in high school though.

Edited by Dick B Back
Did some homework.