• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Freese

Freese, 33, is having a nice season for the Pirates. He's hitting .276/.355/.437 with 20 doubles, 12 homers and 49 RBI. He's also transitioned into being able to play first base in addition to his customary third base. The versatility on this front has helped the Pirates through some injury issues on the infield.

Got himself an extension through 2018. Why wasn't he this good with the Angels?

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Freese, 33, is having a nice season for the Pirates. He's hitting .276/.355/.437 with 20 doubles, 12 homers and 49 RBI. He's also transitioned into being able to play first base in addition to his customary third base. The versatility on this front has helped the Pirates through some injury issues on the infield.

Because in Anaheim he didn't need to perform to play.

That should get things rolling.

4 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

he was

8 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Freese is one of those guys who brings value to his club in ways other than the stat line. Angels' record when he was in the lineup was substantially better than when he wasn't. The guy is a winner.

I absolutely agree with this although many people would tell you that win/loss records aren't necessarily indicative of anything. And that that value you speak of isn't real because its unquantifiable. I disagree. I think Torii was very similar in that way.

12 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Freese is one of those guys who brings value to his club in ways other than the stat line. Angels' record when he was in the lineup was substantially better than when he wasn't. The guy is a winner.

Does he stand in front of a an American flag while wearing riding pants and a Disar mask to drive the winning?   

How come his winningness hasn't kept the Pirates from having their worst season in four years?   Freese was actually better than I expected while in Anaheim (particularly on defense), and there is no question the Angels played better with Freese in the lineup last year... so I don't hate the guy....  But was it his winningness that drove the better record or the reality that his replacements were Connor Gillispie, Taylor Featherston, and Kyle Kubitza.

Good Player > Black Hole...  

16 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I know last year in particular, there were 5-6 consecutive spots in the batting order that went hitless in games.  To try to sustain rallies, Scioscia juggled the lineups.  I have to believe it's harder to hit on a team like that.  

Freese was very solid for the Angels and showed improvement after having to switch leagues.  He posted 2.2 fWAR/2.3 bWAR in 120 games last year.  In 13 more games than he has played this year he put up 14 HR, 27 doubles, and 56 HR.  Essentially he was better last year in a more difficult park to hit in.  Also consider he is now playing in the same division he spent the majority of his career.  

I agreed with not giving him a Q.O., but thought they should have tried to resign him.  He was more valuable than Escobar at least by WAR standards due to Escobar's terrible defense.