• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia: "We need a guy in the ninth inning that's going to hold leads"

Oz27

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, I don't like seeing that the team lost because of a blown lead, but at least it's not in the midst of a pennant race.  

If our rotation had Heaney, Richards and Trop on top of Shoe and Skaggs, this place would be full on nuclear because of the pen.  

Hate to say it, but I've been singing this song since spring.  Our pen sucks.  Increasing it's exposure because of our injury issues hasn't helped, but less of them wouldn't have made them any more talented.  Would there have been opportunities to match them up better?  Maybe, but I still think guys like Salas, Alvarez, Morin, Street and Smith would all have about the same number of innings.  

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Granted, I don't like seeing that the team lost because of a blown lead, but at least it's not in the midst of a pennant race.  

If our rotation had Heaney, Richards and Trop on top of Shoe and Skaggs, this place would be full on nuclear because of the pen.  

Hate to say it, but I've been singing this song since spring.  Our pen sucks.  Increasing it's exposure because of our injury issues hasn't helped, but less of them wouldn't have made them any more talented.  Would there have been opportunities to match them up better?  Maybe, but I still think guys like Salas, Alvarez, Morin, Street and Smith would all have about the same number of innings.  

Pen might have done better this year if they weren't over worked the pen in April and May.

What blows my mind is people are upset that Scioscia went to Street when

1.  When we a trying to convince teams to offer a trade for street. 

2.  When we are 11 games out of the playoffs 

3.  When a large percentage of this board not only believes this season is lost but so is 2017.

4.  When a large number of people on this board has suggested we should do poorly so we get a better position in draft and slot money.

In other words who really cares if Scioscia wanted to stay with Street!

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

Pen might have done better this year if they weren't over worked the pen in April and May.

What blows my mind is people are upset that Scioscia went to Street when

1.  When we a trying to convince teams to offer a trade for street. 

2.  When we are 11 games out of the playoffs 

3.  When a large percentage of this board not only believes this season is lost but so is 2017.

4.  When a large number of people on this board has suggested we should do poorly so we get a better position in draft and slot money.

In other words who really cares if Scioscia wanted to stay with Street!

I don't think anyone is particularly upset about it. I'm not. But it's certainly noteworthy that Scioscia is still pretty strongly backing Street.

I'm really really really really hoping this is all just for posture and show because the trade deadline is tomorrow and he's still talking like he believes in him.  If he comes out and says how he just lost his job and Cam will be the new closer, it kills all hope of a trade.  I know I know, today's meltdown probably killed any trade but that's why it's all hope. We'll all know tomorrow at 1:01 p.m.

He's talking to the press ... what do you think he's going to say?

You invest. $10M+ into your closer, you just don't give up on him, yet. It's not like we have any realistic chances of making the playoffs. He was injured earlier in the year. There's no need in shattering his confidence ... you have next season to consider. There's absolutely no reason to rush Cam. 

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

He's talking to the press ... what do you think he's going to say?

You invest. $10M+ into your closer, you just don't give up on him, yet. It's not like we have any realistic chances of making the playoffs. He was injured earlier in the year. There's no need in shattering his confidence ... you have next season to consider. There's absolutely no reason to rush Cam. 

That exactly right TD.  Street hasn't been as effective as usual the last few months.  I think age, the reduced speed of some of his pitches, and a shrinking strike zone are eroding his effectiveness.  I about came out of my chair on some of those ninth inning pitches that were not called strikes.  I wouldn't push Cam into the closer role quite yet either.  Give him some shots in September just to let him get a feel for it.  It's a real mental headache of a job.

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

according to the k zone chart from brooks baseball, there was one pitch that was in the zone and not called a strike while there were 3 others off the plate that were called strikes.  

his pitches have no zip and he's not locating.  

Oh well, there goes that theory.  I guess when you want a strike really bad they all look good, LOL.

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Good thing that it will never happen again. Oh, wait.

Well, since he's 9/12 this year on saves, does that mean we have three good ones coming in the next four?  If he was on his career norm he would have been 11/12, so we got shafted twice.

1 minute ago, tomsred said:

Well, since he's 9/12 this year on saves, does that mean we have three good ones coming in the next four?  If he was on his career norm he would have been 11/12, so we got shafted twice.

Save percentage is a really bad way to calculate how well a pitcher has performed. In fact, it's seemingly what led us to sign Fernando Rodney.

12 minutes ago, Oz27 said:

Save percentage is a really bad way to calculate how well a pitcher has performed. In fact, it's seemingly what led us to sign Fernando Rodney.

Well, if we use ERA, he has a 6.45 ERA.  That's kind of meaningless in a way too, once you have blown a save what does it matter how many extra runs score?  So what's the best way of measuring a closer's effectiveness?  I was just going on what the media brings up all the time, save percentage.  Actually, career wise, Street is number 5 on the all time list for those with at least 300 saves, but that's a career number.  Until we focus on what players do over a much shorter near term period, both in hitting and pitching, career numbers mean little.  I'm the guy who would like the Stadium scoreboard to post averages and stats for the past 30 days instead of for the full season, but that's a pipe dream, it will never happen in the slow to change baseball world.

Oh, by the way, if he were 12/12 on saves as a closer, no matter what his ERA is, this thread wouldn't exist.  Another way I look at it is that he has only had 12 save opportunities, that may not be enough to remain sharp on his command.  I'm not making excuses for him, just stating possible problems.