• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This team reflects their leader

nate

This team is and has been way to comfortable for a few years now. Sosh was the starting catcher and supposedly one of team leaders on a team that was the same way in the mid-80's. They brought in a player that right off the bat in spring training let everyone know that wasn't acceptable and they won a World Series. There is nobody on the field or in the dugout who will call everyone out and let them know this is not acceptable and since no one on the field seems to want that role it is the manager's responsibility. If he can't or won't do it, the find someone who will.

Scioscia has worn out his welcome here. He was good at one time and now he stinks. Just like anything you buy, when it is new it is great, when it gets old time to replace it.

Please don't tell your wife that - if you're married.  Or your girl friend for that matter.

This team could use even one Gibson like player.

You aren't it Hamilton!

After Jose Guillen's infamous blowup, they seem to focus their acquisitions on mellow, level-headed guys. 

That's great for people getting along with each other, but mellow and level-headed people sometimes act this way out of apathy.  I'm reluctant to make this association but the Angels' collapse the last few seasons coincided with Lackey's departure -- and I think Lackey was the last hot-headed Angel in that clubhouse?  Could it be his getting pissed off helped motivate the team?

Folks, Scioscia just didn't suddenly "lose it."  The guy has been and always will be achievement motivated.  I know you would like to believe that he's working some second agenda, but that's just some silly convenient answer to justify change.  The only argument that flies with me is that the players don't get the "message", and someone has to explain things a little differently to them.  There is no way you can effectively threaten the players short of trading them.  But Scioscia just suddenly become unmotivated, he has way, way too much pride in his career.  He's a high achievement, highly goal oriented manager who exercises a great deal of control in a professional manner.  That's why he's respected throughout the baseball community.

The "fat" and "eating" references are silly and disrespectful.  Trying to manage this pack at the moment most managers would either be drunk most of the time or on drugs.  If the poor performance levels continue changes will be made soon enough.  I wouldn't expect a highly charged Kirk Gibson type manager to take over, I think this organization doesn't fit that style.  If Scioscia goes, don't expect much improvement, the problems go way beyond what Mike can control.  That's why if changes are made you should be prepared for a clean sweep of the entire organization.  And before you do any replacing, you better have a darn good replacement manager, GM, coach whatever in place. 

You can pick away at manager moves all night, for any team and any manager.  That is so darn easy to do, when things go wrong the "other" answer is always the right one as far as the fans are concerned. 

After Jose Guillen's infamous blowup, they seem to focus their acquisitions on mellow, level-headed guys. 

That's great for people getting along with each other, but mellow and level-headed people sometimes act this way out of apathy.  I'm reluctant to make this association but the Angels' collapse the last few seasons coincided with Lackey's departure -- and I think Lackey was the last hot-headed Angel in that clubhouse?  Could it be his getting pissed off helped motivate the team?

Lackey?  Lackey couldn't motivate a baseball player, maybe a filly in a field somewhere, neigh.

A team built around famous multi-millionaires with long term contracts seems to breed apathy.  They won't fire you.  They can't trade you.  They won't send you down.  Once you've achieved the ultimate contract, what drives you to produce and/or improve?  Self motivated?  Perhaps, but try this, you just won the $100M lottery (huge long term contract equivalent for us common folk).  Do you go to work the next day busting your ass to maintain or get that $2/hr raise?  Probably not so much.  Scioscia, even if he tried, would likely have little influence over these guys. 

Scioscia worked well with the small ball teams that were energetic and scrappy.  His relaxed demeanor seemed to offset (balance) the emotional play of guys like Erstad, Percival, Eckstein.  Now he just seems to be another apathetic guy in a dugout with lots of them.

Either way, a 10yr contract for an MLB manager is just foolish. 

Folks, Scioscia just didn't suddenly "lose it."  The guy has been and always will be achievement motivated.  I know you would like to believe that he's working some second agenda, but that's just some silly convenient answer to justify change.  The only argument that flies with me is that the players don't get the "message", and someone has to explain things a little differently to them.  There is no way you can effectively threaten the players short of trading them.  But Scioscia just suddenly become unmotivated, he has way, way too much pride in his career.  He's a high achievement, highly goal oriented manager who exercises a great deal of control in a professional manner.  That's why he's respected throughout the baseball community.

The "fat" and "eating" references are silly and disrespectful.  Trying to manage this pack at the moment most managers would either be drunk most of the time or on drugs.  If the poor performance levels continue changes will be made soon enough.  I wouldn't expect a highly charged Kirk Gibson type manager to take over, I think this organization doesn't fit that style.  If Scioscia goes, don't expect much improvement, the problems go way beyond what Mike can control.  That's why if changes are made you should be prepared for a clean sweep of the entire organization.  And before you do any replacing, you better have a darn good replacement manager, GM, coach whatever in place. 

You can pick away at manager moves all night, for any team and any manager.  That is so darn easy to do, when things go wrong the "other" answer is always the right one as far as the fans are concerned. 

Uh what???  He should be able to motivate the players which seems to be lacking, he should be able to prepare the team for the season which is nonexistent and he should be able to manage a bullpen.

He has lost it.  10 years is usually the longest a manager is ever successful in one franchise.  Change is needed.

tomsred has always been a Scioscia apologist.  Whatever the man does, he is there to defend him. 

mp170.6 has always been a Scioscia critic.  Whatever the man does, he is there to criticize him.

At least my avatar is better than his avatar.  I'm also beating him in the Predictions Game 9 to zero.

My favorite type of "fan" is the one that thinks players stop caring or trying when they get the big contract. The reason these guys all made it to the bigs is because they were so competitive that they outperformed equally talented players.

That doesn't stop them from becoming complacent, Stradling.  For the record I am not talking about Hamilton.  He has had streaks like this before and just changed teams.  Took Pujols a while to get going last season too.

My favorite type of "fan" is the one that thinks players stop caring or trying when they get the big contract. The reason these guys all made it to the bigs is because they were so competitive that they outperformed equally talented players.

Your point about the players making the big league team is spot on, but I don't know what that has to do with them not caring or trying after they get a big contract. The point is not that they stop caring once they make the majors, it's that they go all out until they get paid then say "f it I'm rich" and stop putting the effort in.

For the record I feel this is an exception and not the rule, and I don't think anyone on the Angels is like this (including Hamilton). But I believe it does happen.

That doesn't stop them from becoming complacent, Stradling.  For the record I am not talking about Hamilton.  He has had streaks like this before and just changed teams.  Took Pujols a while to get going last season too.

So who then doesn't care on the Angels?  You made the point.  Who is it that isn't caring? 

Your point about the players making the big league team is spot on, but I don't know what that has to do with them not caring or trying after they get a big contract. The point is not that they stop caring once they make the majors, it's that they go all out until they get paid then say "f it I'm rich" and stop putting the effort in.

For the record I feel this is an exception and not the rule, and I don't think anyone on the Angels is like this (including Hamilton). But I believe it does happen.

I agree with you that it has happened but it happening is the exception and not the rule.