• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels.com message board shut down?

59 minutes ago, shine said:

This is 2016, even if you think he was responsible for the 2002 World Series. That was 14 years ago. Scioscia   had chance to opt-out his contract. Why didn't he ? I will give him credit, no owner would be that stupid to hire him . Joe Maddon did.

You honestly think that if Scioscia was available he wouldn't get another job managing?  

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You honestly think that if Scioscia was available he wouldn't get another job managing?  

Teams haven't exactly been banging down the door to give Ron Gardenhire a job and there are certainly some similarities between the two of them.

3 hours ago, shine said:

You might think it's dumb. Most mangers would have been fired for those stupid mistakes. I think the Scioscia family and Marino  family must be related.

I think after Stoneman left and Reagins was unsuccessful, Scioscia was the only guy Arte had faith in.  Arte's top executives were, and are, salesmen and not baseball people.  In retrospect, perhaps the Angels might have won a couple of pennants like Detroit if Stoneman was willing to trade for Miguel Cabrera.  At the time Miggy was a risk because he was overweight and had an alcohol problem.  Detroit's gamble paid off.

In my opinion Arte tried to take matters in his own hands by ordering his people to acquire Wells, Pujols, and Hamilton.  Generally speaking, Arte's gamble didn't pay off.  I think Dipoto tried to assert himself by firing Mickey Hatcher and promoting Trout.  When push came to shove Arte sided with Scioscia because of Scioscia's past success.  I sided with Dipoto because I think the GM has to outrank the manager.  But the showdown was inevitable.  I'm impressed with Eppler because he can work with these strong personalities.

Generally speaking I have been OK with Scioscia because his teams play hard.  My disagreements have been mainly his quick hook with pitchers when they are still effective.   It seems like 2-3 games later he runs out of pitchers.  

This season the story has been injuries and I think everyone is doing the best they can.  

4 hours ago, shine said:

I really don't bet horses much anymore. I have a story for you. My biggest winning ticket. I was having a good day. I liked a horse at 25 to 1. I decided to bet him in a trifecta. I put him on top with a all for second and a all on the bottom .I decided at the last moment to cancel. The teller put the bet slip in and it popped out. He said sorry to late to cancel. 25 to 1 over a 17-1 over a 13-1. Really glad it didn't cancel. It paid $4800.00 to 1  I had it 5 times. I have lost a lot more then I will ever win. I have had some good times.

Hey Bob do you happen to remember a horse called Lindas Chief?

The horse cured me in 1974..haven't bet on a race since.

Horse was a mortal lock that jumped into the rail and died while pulling away in the stretch.

btw..be careful Bob and post a little more often.

I love the Scioscia sucks and no other team would hire him narrative.  He's top 50 All Time in winning percentage and only 7 guys in the top 50 have a higher win total.  So those of you who thought he should have been fired 10 years ago, well he's won a ton of games since then. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Reagins was the acting general manager the year Cabrera was traded. 

You guys think you know the team history but you recite a lot of urban legend. 

I didn't know that.  As I remember Stoneman retired after the 2007 season and Reagins was hired as his replacement with no interim tag.

6 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Dude, we get it. You like Scioscia, you think the Angels have a chance at the playoffs this year, and anything said objectively about the Angels is being negative. 

Damn man, I really think you need to relax and take your rainbow goggles off. This team is beyond terrible. Scioscia has ran his course. Is he to blame for everything? No. But why can't you just admit it's time for a change. Not every little thing needs to be questioned in here.

It's not about me liking Scioscia because I'm ready for a change its about people that don't like him thinking he sucks.  He doesn't suck, he constantly wins more games than projected.  He's respected throughout the league and is well liked by most of his players. Sure you'll come across a Guillen or a Trevor Bell, and obviously he made a huge mistake with Napoli, but in my opinion the pluses have outweighed the minuses with him.  That being said I'm ready for a change but I'm not ignorant enough to think that solves anything.

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

They do if they're on the hook for $5 million a year.

That is not even utility infielder money these days so his tenure has nothing to do with cost. 

As for the lack of playoffs,  maybe you Clowns forget what kind of teams he has been given. Go back and look at the mess,  either no offense,  no real pitching staff or a bullpen full of arsonists. Usually two of the three each year. This season,  all three. 

Blarg is correct, cost has nothing to do with it.  That is not what is keeping him here.  What keeps him here is his relationship with the players and how he runs his clubhouse, the front office, the owner, respect by his peers and other outside baseball professionals, and the fact that he gets a lot out of a little.  He's about number 25 on a prioritized list of problems with this franchise right now.  But keep worrying about it because when teams are losing all managers are easy targets for criticism, especially when you can hammer them with hindsight.  

If Sosh had a much more manageable contract, I guarantee he wouldn't still be with the team. 20-30 million of dead money for a player is bad enough, but for a manager, it's just absurd. 

And please don't lump me in with the Scioscia "haters". I defend the guy more than not. I believe he's a HOF manager. 

31 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Whether the teams were good or not, not many managers keep their jobs if they miss the playoffs 6 out of 7 years, in any sport. It may not be fair, but that's the way it is.

I prefer to have my ownership use logic rather than scapegoating the manager for the poor teams they provide him.

57 minutes ago, Blarg said:

As for the lack of playoffs,  maybe you Clowns forget what kind of teams he has been given. Go back and look at the mess,  either no offense,  no real pitching staff or a bullpen full of arsonists. Usually two of the three each year. This season,  all three. 

GM pitches a fit and quits.   Offense puts up an OPS+ of 97, Pitching staff combines for an ERA+ of 95 - Angels win 85 games and miss postseason by one game.

"It's Scioscia's fault" -- The totally "relaxed" and "objective" Angels fans on AW.com.