• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

All time Angels lineup

Frank Tanana has to be in the rotation. The guy was great and if he hadn't hurt his arm at the age of 25 would have been a HoFer. Without the injury I believe Tanana would have become the first Angel in the HoF!  As it is he won 240 games most of which without a fastball. Those of you that weren't fortunate to see him before the injury really missed out. 

Just now, elixir said:

Yeah probably right. He had an arm when he was on the Angels. Witt was pretty nasty in his prime, him and Blyleven were the 2 nastiest in their prime. I'm really projecting Witt for a short span where he was dominant, bonafided #1

'

It's why it's hard to actually pick what was really the best team. Some kind of criteria needs to be established. Is it going to be determined on career numbers or just the numbers put up as an Angel player? After all Frank Robinson and Reggie Jackson did play for the Angels albeit at the end of their careers.

2 minutes ago, elixir said:

Just because they are big in name and put up numbers, doesn't equate to success, some numbers can be gaudy. The list is subjective if you really look at it, you may put up the your favorite team/best, but it doesn't result in the best team if you know what I mean. Chemistry, how players compliment each other, being hot at the right time,  right mixture of speed, power etc... I won't agree with any one roster and make it the holy grail of Angel teams.

I completely understand what you're saying.

If you put team chemistry and success in the equation then the list could just start and end with the 2002 team.

The rotation: Nolan Ryan (1973), Frank Tanana (1976), Dean Chance (1964), Chuck Finley (1990), Jered Weaver (2010 or 2011). 

Long Reliever: Garrett Richards (2014) or Scot Shields (2005),

Closer & Bullpen: Frankie Rodriquez (2006), Bryan Harvey (1991), Huston Street (2014), Troy Percival (1996)

Bench: Chone Figgins (2007 or 2009), David Eckstein (2002), Don Baylor (1979), Garrett Anderson ('02 or '03), Rod Carew (1980), Lance Parrish (1990) 

Starting Lineup: CF Mike Trout (2013), LF Darin Erstad (2000), RF Vladimir Guerrero (2004), Troy Glaus, (2000), DH Tim Salmon (1995), 1B Wally Joyner (1987), 2B Bobby Grich (1979), C Brian Downing (1987), SS Jim Fregosi (1970)

So there it is. I'd take this team against the best of them in the history of the game. That pitching staff and having Trout, Salmon and Vlad in the same lineup, in their best years. Hell yeah! 

18 hours ago, Oz27 said:

Is GA an obvious starter? If we're not going by outfield position and just sticking three outfielders in, Edmonds, Salmon and Hunter were all pretty damn good.

I think it has to be Glaus at 3B too.

how dont you have Vladdy?

18 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Not sure how GA would make the squad. Edmonds or Salmon could slide over, Hunter maybe as well. GA does get points for longevity, though.

How is Grich not the de facto second basemen? 

Hopefully in four or five years we can have this same topic with SS Simmons ??? 

was hunters numbers as good as GA's?  even if you dont take longevity into account.

Any list that doesnt have Vladdy is illegitmet.  

taking into stats as an Angel i would go:

salmon rf

trout c

ga lf

vladdy dh

carew 1b. although joyner or even erstadt has a good claim

grich 2b

Fregosi ss

Decinces 3b

B Molina c

pitching

Ryan, Tanana, Chance, Weaver, Finley

taking total career into account

salmon, Vladdy, trout in OF

Reggie Jackson DH

Pujols 1b

grich 2b

Fregosi ss

Decinces 3b

B Molina C

This is my best/favorite Angel team.

Rotation:

Nolan Ryan
Frank Tanana
Jered Weaver
Andy Messersmith
Dean Chance

Outfield:

Trout
Vladimir Guerrero
Tim Salmon

Infield:

1B: Wally Joyner
2B: Bobby Grich
3B: Troy Glaus 
SS: Jim Fregosi
C:   Brian Downing
DH: Don Baylor

Bench:

Darin Ersatd
Bengie Molina
Garrett Anderson
Jim Edmonds
Chili Davis
Rod Carew

Bullpen:

Troy Percival
K-Rod
Bryan Harvey
Chuck Finley..(long man) (spot starter)
Scot Shields

8 minutes ago, stormngt said:

was hunters numbers as good as GA's?  even if you dont take longevity into account.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Hunter's 5 years with the Angels are pretty similar to GA's best 5 year stretch with the Angels. The rest of Hunter's career is significantly better than the rest of GA's Angel career. The defensive stats also strangely don't like Hunter, so if you think Torii was an above average defender then he has to slide ahead of GA as well.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Depends on how you want to look at it. Hunter's 5 years with the Angels are pretty similar to GA's best 5 year stretch with the Angels. The rest of Hunter's career is significantly better than the rest of GA's Angel career. The defensive stats also strangely don't like Hunter, so if you think Torii was an above average defender then he has to slide ahead of GA as well.

if they are similiar i will still go with GA because GA played on a WS title and three division titles (?).  yes team accomplishments should go into a tie breaking scenario.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

The rotation: Nolan Ryan (1973), Frank Tanana (1976), Dean Chance (1964), Chuck Finley (1990), Jered Weaver (2010 or 2011). 

Long Reliever: Garrett Richards (2014) or Scot Shields (2005),

Closer & Bullpen: Frankie Rodriquez (2006), Bryan Harvey (1991), Huston Street (2014), Troy Percival (1996)

Bench: Chone Figgins (2007 or 2009), David Eckstein (2002), Don Baylor (1979), Garrett Anderson ('02 or '03), Rod Carew (1980), Lance Parrish (1990) 

Starting Lineup: CF Mike Trout (2013), LF Darin Erstad (2000), RF Vladimir Guerrero (2004), Troy Glaus, (2000), DH Tim Salmon (1995), 1B Wally Joyner (1987), 2B Bobby Grich (1979), C Brian Downing (1987), SS Jim Fregosi (1970)

So there it is. I'd take this team against the best of them in the history of the game. That pitching staff and having Trout, Salmon and Vlad in the same lineup, in their best years. Hell yeah! 

Fixed mine. I had one too many players. :)

Carew was not that good as an Angel. I would take Erstad @1sb.  Bobby Knoop was the best defensive 2b, but Grich better overall. Fregosi @ ss . Decinces @3rd. Glaus a close 2nd.

Boone was the best catcher, Bengie Molina backup. Dh is Baylor over Chili  only because of Baylors MVP year.  Trout and Vlad on the outfield. 3rd OF spot, take your pick of Salmon, GA, Edmonds, Torii, Lynn.

SP Chance, Ryan, Tanana, Finley,Weaver.

Pen. Bob Lee, Percy, KRod,Harvey, Shields, Minnie Rojas.

Seriously, though:

C - No great choices, but the best candidates are Bob Boone, Bengie Molina, Lance Parrish, and Mike Napoli.

1B - Rod Carew or maybe Wally Joyner. Again, no great or obvious choices.

2B - Bobby Grich. Easy.

SS - Jim Fregosi. Easy.

3B - Three solid choices: Doug DeCinces, Troy Glaus and Chone Figgins.

LF - Brian Downing. Garret Anderson is worth considering, but Downing was a better hitter.

CF - Duh.

RF - Tim Salmon. Sorry - Vlad was better at his best, but Timmy is Mr. Angel (before Trout, that is).

DH - Vlad. If you need a true DH, then Downing first or Chili Davis.