• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lincecum Close To Signing With Angels

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I'm guessing the answer to "why now" is as simple as, all the injuries.  The people questioning this, would you really rather the team quit and no longer try to improve?  

I think the question is why spend now and go over the cap (don't know yet, since the deal hasn't been announced yet), when you could have spent on much better quality this past offseason and really improved the team.  And it will be yet to be seen if this is an improvement.  For the last 4 years, Lincecum has had an ERA for 3 of those years north of 4 and a WHIP north of 1.3 and for 2 seasons north of 1.4. 

1 minute ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

If the Farm system wasn't so beyond bad it would be worth trying to improve cause they'd have the farm system to make trades to bring in high quality talent.

but since the farm is so bad they might as well use this injury ruined season to get a good draft position and reload the farm with high picks in each round as well as moving Santiago, Escobar, Smith at the deadline for prospects.

Perhaps employ the A's method of signing a low risk/somewhat high reward player you can deal for prospects at the deadline if he pans out well?

23 minutes ago, floplag said:

It isnt giving up FFS, its wondering why now... why spend on this which is a giant question mark when we passed on so many other things that would have definitely helped, it simply makes no sense.  
I assume the deal is small enough not to break the luxury tax?  

I really do think there is an element of marketing here.  The stadium was empty while losing 6 in a row at home.  As someone also mentioned, if he finds his stuff and we are still out of the running by the ASB, he probably accepts a trade to another team.  

As much as we throw the term around, this probably isn't a 90 loss team.  Even middle of the pack teams don't cart out guys that pitch 4 innings and give up 6 runs on a regular basis.  Frankly, that is actually embarrassing.  It puts the pen in a totally unreasonable position.  You've got to get innings from someone.  Chacin and Lincecum aren't likely to save our season, but you can't just close up shop 35 games in.  That's not a good precedent and it also means they didn't have a lot of faith in the team in the first place

So it does make some sense although I am with you on the notion of it being annoying that we didn't do more when there was more available.  

What this does tell us is that it's going to be business as usual going forward.  We aren't going to rebuild.  We aren't even going to start trading guys away unless they are about to be free agents.  

We have to bear in mind that Shoe and Weaver are currently in the rotation even with the addition of Chacin.  Tropeano is a rookie and it's not like Santiago is the poster boy for pitch efficiency.  We don't know when Skaggs or Wilson are coming back if at all.  We've got Nate Smith in the wings.  Another rookie.  Then it's Chris Jones, Kyle Kendrick, Yunesky Maya, Zach Nuding and Kyle McGowin.  

For a few mil you get some press, some clubhouse fluff, a potential trade piece and a way to keep your pen from turning into the monty python black knight.  

Edited by Dochalo

How many times is that gonna come up. It was noted several times the luxury tax was not a hard line. Eppler, Arte, beat writers all said that. It was merely a consideration. Another variable in the equation. It was always about commitment and how a commitment affected future payroll. They obviously felt none of the FAs were worth the amount of money or years that were required - from the 7yr/190m types to the 5yr/20m to the 3yr/33m. 

2 minutes ago, yamsi12 said:

Timmy brings a winning pedigree to the clubhouse. Maybe weaver needs to smoke out to get his velocity up. Pujols can chillax with Timmy and return to 2008 form, or at the very least get so baked he admits he's 42.

Conversations I have a hard time imagining... "What is this weed you speak of?" - J. Weaver

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Skaggs and C.J. Wilson are being evaluated today to see what their next steps are. 

I believe Skaggs has not been approved to throw off the ground or mound yet. 

Has be been throwing while flying? How do you not throw off the ground? Lol 

:572ac679b8023_sticker375x360:

Unlike a few others, I don't KNOW that this Tim Lincecum  is any better than the Shoemaker who pitches tonight or the Weaver who has been up and down with every start this season. Timmy showed what he has to 20 teams. Three were apparently serious. Now it's the Angels. Hopefully, they won't bid up against themselves.

But what's to lose? When TL works himself up to 90 or 100 pitches with the Bees, we'll all see what he has. Better than Kyle Kendrick? (That's a joke reference.)

want to see what the contract details are-- assume it's an incentive laden deal.

Hey, folks -- stop the griping -- we got a slight reprieve this weekend and Santiago pitched a gem yesterday -- but, heck, our rotation is in tatters. We are not going anywhere -- as long as we did not spend too much -- what's the harm here -- Lincecum may have something left it the tank and if he's anywhere close to his Cy Young form (like two-thirds of it) we're better off than where we stand now.

8 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Unlike a few others, I don't KNOW that this Tim Lincecum  is any better than the Shoemaker who pitches tonight or the Weaver who has been up and down with every start this season. Timmy showed what he has to 20 teams. Three were apparently serious. Now it's the Angels. Hopefully, they won't bid up against themselves.

But what's to lose? When TL works himself up to 90 or 100 pitches with the Bees, we'll all see what he has. Better than Kyle Kendrick? (That's a joke reference.)

That's pretty much how I feel about his signing.

There's not much of anything to lose, but I'm not expecting that he'll be of much help.

Again, I hope I'm wrong because we are in desperate need of some arms.

1 minute ago, hangin n wangin said:

He might not have much left, but I would be willing to be that he's better than what we have.

And what we have is Weaver and Shoemaker.

Weaver will at least give a few good starts here and there. I expect him to be up and down for most of the year. Shoemaker looks terrible and that's hard to except due to the great year he had in 2014 which is looking more and more like a fluke. Lincecum on the other hand hasn't done anything in three years to make me think that he's better than what we already have. Maybe we'll get lucky and his hip surgery has been successful and that he'll be able to work out as a backend starter, but as I said before I'm not holding my breath. If he was looking good I'd think there would be more than a couple of teams interested in him. There's really nothing to lose here so I don't see any harm in giving him a shot, it's just that I'm not expecting much.