• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this worth keeping Trout in an Angels uni?

One team making one bad trade isn't a reason for everyone else to not do something, not that I am saying we should trade Trout now or at any point in the short term.

It's more about the gamble of treading for prospects which is a high gamble. Even when you bring established players into a new environment it's a risk like they will play like they did in the past. Like I said earlier: you only trade Trout if he is making too much money or he is about to go into his walk year and he won't sign an extension.

I've been an Angels fan for about 30 years now. Up until the early 2000's most Angels teams were mediocre, and the ones that were pretty good would fold in the most heartbreaking ways (see 1986, 1997), but I still watched as many games as I could, and loved every inning of it. Even if this team is mediocre I can at least enjoy the fact that on any given day, we have THE best player in baseball.

Things aren't as bad as some people on this message board think they are. Calm the F$&k down turbo.

I would like to keep Trout but they blew their opportunity to build around him. They're kinda stuck with a lot of non-productive below average so-so players. Trout is a great baseball player on a team spinning their wheels. I would hate to see him leave but he's not surrounded by enough "WIN NOW" talent. Pujols and Hamilton (cost & draft) derailed this team's future for years to come. Mike Trout has taken more of a sluggers approach the past couple of seasons which has decreased his average and increased his K's. Still great but it certainly appears that Bryce Harper has taken over as baseballs best hitter. I'm not a fan of trading him unless we could completely rape someone else's farm system. There's always that chance that he will leave anyway.

This isn't the NBA, one player just can't make that big of a difference. The Angels are several players away from being good. There's nobody coming up from the minors to help out any time soon. But a couple key FA signings in 2018 will do the trick? I just don't get it.

This isn't the NBA, one player just can't make that big of a difference. The Angels are several players away from being good. There's nobody coming up from the minors to help out any time soon. But a couple key FA signings in 2018 will do the trick? I just don't get it.

You still havent answered how exactly trading Trout would rebuild the farm or make this team any better. What team who is in contention has enough prospects to trade for Trout? And even if there was a team, what happens if those prospects dont pan out?

Its not that people dont want to trade Trout, its that you cant trade Trout. It would be impossible to get equal value, and all it would do is piss off the fans and paying customers.

This team is boring as hell to watch with Trout. It is boring now and will be boring after he leaves when his contract is up. Why not completely replenish the farm and only be boring to watch for 4 more years instead of 15?

You're assuming that whatever the Angels got in return would help the team.

When you have a generational talent like Mike Trout, there is nothing you could get in return to equal what he brings overall to the franchise.  The organization should do everything possible to keep him here, ala Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant.  Actually it would be the best thing for his legacy as well.  Pujols would have a greater legacy if he had stayed in St. Louis.  Fans love it when players stay loyal to their franchise.  In a way that's one thing that makes Weaver such a favorite here, and the same can be said for Tim Salmon.  Players become popular because of this loyalty, and not winning a championship is not as damaging as you might think, one example is Ernie Banks in Chicago. 

I remember when the Mariners got Randy Johnson and Brian Holman for Langston the later traded Johnson and got Freddie Garcia and Carlos Guillen. And I remember the Indians getting Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Lee Stevens for Fat Bart and Tim Drew. I also remember all zero of the championships the teams involved in these trades have won since then.

Well... here we go again.
I said the same thing pre-season and got railed much like this thread and i was basically told that watching Trout was worth sucking.  I did not agree then and i dont agree now.
I told all of you "but we got Trout" people then that you had no right to complain about the team being terrible since you got your wish... welcome to that reality. 

I said the same thing pre-season and got railed much like this thread and i was basically told that watching Trout was worth sucking. I did not agree then and i dont agree now.

I told all of you "but we got Trout" people then that you had no right to complain about the team being terrible since you got your wish... welcome to that reality.

Ok deal, I won't complain.

I said the same thing pre-season and got railed much like this thread and i was basically told that watching Trout was worth sucking. I did not agree then and i dont agree now.

What's the problem? The stadium is full of fans and the new player posters outside the stadium entrance are all smiles. Have you ever noticed how many fans clear out of the stadium right after Trout's 4th at bat. Winning or losing the show is over at that point for many fans. Trout is finished for the day so let's beat the traffic.

What's the problem? The stadium is full of fans and the new player posters outside the stadium entrance are all smiles. Have you ever noticed how many fans clear out of the stadium right after Trout's 4th at bat. Winning or losing the show is over at that point for many fans. Trout is finished for the day so let's beat the traffic.

All very nice and fine if you are team ownership, for me a lifelong fan over over 40 years, not so much.   AS ive said be fore i can far more for the name on the front of the jersey than i do the back, but thats me. 

Watching a great player is fun, no questions, but watching a lot of terrible ones to get to it is not. 

I remember when the Mariners got Randy Johnson and Brian Holman for Langston the later traded Johnson and got Freddie Garcia and Carlos Guillen. And I remember the Indians getting Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips, Cliff Lee, and Lee Stevens for Fat Bart and Tim Drew. I also remember all zero of the championships the teams involved in these trades have won since then.

I remember when the Marlins traded the best player in baseball Miguel Cabrera for.......

Who again?

All very nice and fine if you are team ownership, for me a lifelong fan over over 40 years, not so much.   AS ive said be fore i can far more for the name on the front of the jersey than i do the back, but thats me. 

Watching a great player is fun, no questions, but watching a lot of terrible ones to get to it is not. 

If you've been a fan for 40 years then you've been through far worse times than this, and you've also never seen a player as good as Trout wearing your team's uniform. 

If you've been a fan for 40 years then you've been through far worse times than this, and you've also never seen a player as good as Trout wearing your team's uniform. 

I've seen a lot of great players wear the uniform... Baylor, Downing, Grich, Carew, Reggie, Ryan.  Trout may be the best ever, but it isnt like we havent had great players in the past.  I saw many of Baylors MVP season games, ive seen a Ryan No Hitter, i was there for the first few division titles this club won.  I've witnessed great moments.... and i dont recall ANY of them coming in a loss.   One thing was true thru all of that, i wanted the team to win more than i wanted one player to succeed. 

Yes, ive been thru worse, but never under these circumstances, ever.  Certainly never with the amount of expectation and promises by the front office to win. And absolutely never with a front office that had every chance to get better and chose not to.   I understood in the past when they said they simply couldnt afford it etc... but we all know thats bull today.   Especially when its their own bad moves that put us in this place.  We as fans deserve better.

Edited by floplag

So saying all that flop, how could you possibly trust this front office to acquire that right players back in a Mike Trout trade?

As opposed to doing nothing and wasting the next 3-5 seasons?

Do i trust them, no.  Has everything thats been done been bad, of course not.

It comes down to is it worth wasting the foreseeable future, for many of you thats fine, for me, its not.  

Who should they get for Trout then? I'm not being condescending I'm legitimately curious. 

If they ask for all prospects, they likely get nothing of value for the next 1-2 years at least. They possibly get nothing of value period. Then they're back in the same spot with no Trout. 

If they want young, talented, cost controlled major leaguers, I'd love to know which team would not only have enough players that fit that criteria but also be willing to part with them. Think of the Angels trading Calhoun, Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, and Simmons for Bryce Harper. Would you do that trade? Would any organization cripple their team like that for one player, regardless of how good the player is? 

I havent thought thru all the trade options, its kinda pointless to waste that time i think.  Do i think its something we should at least be exploring, yes i do, but i cant say with who or for who right now.
Though if i had to guess i would say the whole reason you make that trade is both for now and the future, so it would likely require players that are good now, and later.

Unless the intent is to just go all in for the future and raid someones farm to rebuild ours in a day.  Without Trout are we any good anyway for good players now to matter, idk. 
Again all im saying is that at this point with what we have and how we are likely to perform over the new 3-5 years or more, it seems foolish not to at least consider options, and like it or not, this IS an option. 
No, i would not do it for anything less than a huge haul, i would not trade him just to trade him for a few prospects or anything stupid like that.  It would need to be impactful.