• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question regarding Weaver.

19HALO71

Let's say that Weaver goes 12-10 with a 4.25 ERA.

Would you offer him an extension or would you let him walk? If you would offer him an extension, how long would you go and for how much?

As much as it pains me, I would let him walk.

Go Halos!!!

I think there is no question you let him walk if he still wants to pitch next season. Unless his fastball magically goes to 88-90 MPH this season, there is too much risk. I think he retires, though, and the Angels should see if he has an interest in coaching at all.

Doesn't have to increase that much does it? Wouldn't he be a dominant pitcher if he consistently pitched 85mph?

Not at 20M per! 

If he wants to take a 8-10M plus incentives deal sure! But, that is a huge pay cut for your aging star who very well may like to pitch more and I don't believe his competitiveness will allow him to take a 25-50% pay cut and due to his history here and that would be great on the business side. But, shitty on the personal side and what Weaver has meant to this organization.

However, with that being said. You tell him you want him to be a part of the Org long term and see what you both can work out. Maybe, a playing salary and then personal services contract long term that would not go against the Budget.

Let's just pray he goes the Tim Salmon route rather than the Garret Anderson route! (retire an Angel rather than embarrassing himself by playing another year or two for another team at a poor level) Dude is toast, he's never gonna make the All Star team ever again, he's never gonna win a Cy Young, this team won't be winning the World Series anytime soon, he has enough money saved up and he's a local guy.

WHAT ELSE IS LEFT TO PROVE?JUST RETIRE, BRUH!

Edited by HighDesertHaloFan

Not at 20M per!

If he wants to take a 8-10M plus incentives deal sure! But, that is a huge pay cut for your aging star who very well may like to pitch more and I don't believe his competitiveness will allow him to take a 25-50% pay cut and due to his history here and that would be great on the business side. But, shitty on the personal side and what Weaver has meant to this organization.

However, with that being said. You tell him you want him to be a part of the Org long term and see what you both can work out. Maybe, a playing salary and then personal services contract long term that would not go against the Budget.

You can no longer pen a personal services contract for an active player.

Can't say now. It all depends how well he pitches this year. Weaver looked really good against the White Sox yesterday and really good against Texas in his first start. He already took one hometown discount to stay with the Angels and I think he will take another one. If he is effective this year I have no problem keeping him around. 

Let's just pray he goes the Tim Salmon route rather than the Garret Anderson route! (retire an Angel rather than embarrassing himself by playing another year or two for another team at a poor level) Dude is toast, he's never gonna make the All Star team ever again, he's never gonna win a Cy Young, this team won't be winning the World Series anytime soon, he has enough money saved up and he's a local guy.

WHAT ELSE IS LEFT TO PROVE?JUST RETIRE, BRUH!

You are nuts. From 2008 to now Weaver has had one bad season, 2014. Other than that he was been a really reliable starter that has provided 200 + inning with a sub 4.00 ERA every season since 2008. 

This "situation" regarding Weaver will eventually resolve itself. If he's not effective then he will pitch himself out of the rotation at some point, however if Weaver continues to be average or better he'll finish the season in the rotation which is how it should be.

As far as next year goes, if I were king of the Angels, I'd let his performance dictate whether he should be resigned or not. What I wouldn't do is to let one bad season cloud my judgement on a player that has been an asset to the team for 11 years. If Weaver repeats 2015 then I'd have to say goodbye but I wouldn't make that decision in April. ymmv

Weave's avg velo is still down almost 1-2mph from last year overall.  Maybe he will bump up again, but he actually peaked in around mid to late may through mid june last year and then started to slowly tail off.  

His last start where everyone was so excited about his velo had him at 83.5 avg.  That would have been his second lowest of last season.  

So weave would call me a hater, but I just can't imagine how a 3.63 k/9, 2.6 bb/9, and 1.56 hr/9 is going to amount to anything but sheer disaster over the course of the season.  

Love Weave, but it's full on kev's mom if anyone thinks he's gonna be able to do that and maintain a 3.12 era.  If he didn't it would be the most miraculous season ever.  

Weaver is a baseball player, all players age and lose their stuff. He has been paid very well and played very well, but it is time to go younger and cheaper. The Angels need plan ahead and start using their money better. Pujols also was once great but those years are over, he is not worth $20+M a year and does not and will not play up to his pay ever again. He is a proud man but is he proud enough to say good bye before fans only remember him as he is now?