• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

1983 vs. Today

Perhaps the biggest difference in the years is that in 1983, KROQ was listenable.

If you didn't like a song on KROQ, all you had to do was stick around and you would hear something you liked, whether if it was in heavy rotation or something you never heard before. 

And the station played a few different genres of music.  Without doing a search, I'm thinking you woulda heard the Stray Cats, Depeche Mode, The Stranglers, Culture Club, Heaven 17 (name taken from "A Clockwork Orange"), Translator, Killing Joke and on and on. 

And late night on Sundays, Rodney on the Roq played all kinds of new English stuff and local bands before it broke in the rest of the States.  There was alot of junk, but there were also alot of gems.

I miss listening to KROQ when it mattered.

That is one of the things that struck me. The top five playlist in 1983 is all stuff that I knew and enjoyed. I have heard one song off the current top five, and I don't particularly care for it. One of the main differences is that in 1983 you needed talent to succeed. Today, you need an image and a good publicist.

I think the difference a bit with music nowadays is in the earlier times, you did need talent to succeed because the radio and TV was the only outlet at the time. And I'd say there have always been two groups of people: the people that demand talent and substance, and the people who just consume whatever is given to them and back then both groups needed to be appeased.

Now with the advent of the internet, the people that demand more have no problem scouring the internet for new music and search for what they like whether new or old, will find music on their own terms while there is still that group of people, which seems to be the majority, that will gladly just listen to anything that is forced to them and give studios no reason to actually find talent, and would rather just create an image that is appealing and shove it out there.

Similar can be said for movies while arguably not as blatant.

Perhaps the biggest difference in the years is that in 1983, KROQ was listenable.

If you didn't like a song on KROQ, all you had to do was stick around and you would hear something you liked, whether if it was in heavy rotation or something you never heard before. 

And the station played a few different genres of music.  Without doing a search, I'm thinking you woulda heard the Stray Cats, Depeche Mode, The Stranglers, Culture Club, Heaven 17 (name taken from "A Clockwork Orange"), Translator, Killing Joke and on and on. 

And late night on Sundays, Rodney on the Roq played all kinds of new English stuff and local bands before it broke in the rest of the States.  There was alot of junk, but there were also alot of gems.

Everything was good about Kroq in 83 except Jed the Fish.   His suckage transcends every decade. 

For some reason, this stuck me while reading this thread:

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

And MTV actually played music.