• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Frequent shifting has not paid off, Simmons: "I can strike out more often"

ABC

The 139 times batters have put the ball into play against the Angels' shift in 2016, they are batting .302 with a .384 slugging percentage, according to Fangraphs.com. The 89 times hitters have put the ball into play when the Angels are not in a shift, they are hitting .202 with a .250 slugging percentage.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-20160415-story.html

Edited by ____

Simmons going right

It's a new development. Through his first three-plus seasons, the shortstop had become known as a classic pull hitter. He was once a power threat — he hit 17 home runs in 2013 — but has regressed since and Angels hitting coach Dave Hansen tried during spring training to stop Simmons from "getting so pull-oriented." What Bethancourt saw showed that Simmons had listened.

"I worked on going to right before," Simmons said, "but I never really mastered or got that good at actually doing it."

Simmons, 26, has struck out once in 34 plate appearances and has not walked. He puts essentially everything into play.

"Most of the time, I laugh when I strike out," he said. "I'm so used to making contact that whenever I strike out I'm like, 'Whoa, OK.' Maybe I should swing harder, because I can strike out more often. Maybe I should hack sometimes. I do take big swings every once in a while."

Spray-chart data is only available from the season's first week. In that week, Simmons hit more balls to the right side of the field than the left.

"This year, I'm a different hitter," he said. "I feel like I'm better at commanding, going the other way, on my own will. It's not that I do it every single time, but I feel more comfortable."

I duno about this.

Simmons doesn't have the power to hit the ball out to right field, and 17 homeruns would be nice to see. I'm not a big fan of "going the other way" - everyone should be focused on hitting the ball back up the middle. 

The hitting the ball the other way approach is good practice for guys who are pull happy and struggling with contact. Simmons isn't struggling with contact, in fact he's making too much of it, and not exactly hitting with much authority. He should be looking to drive his pitch early in the count, not trying to slap balls the other way.

I duno about this.

Simmons doesn't have the power to hit the ball out to right field, and 17 homeruns would be nice to see. I'm not a big fan of "going the other way" - everyone should be focused on hitting the ball back up the middle. 

The hitting the ball the other way approach is good practice for guys who are pull happy and struggling with contact. Simmons isn't struggling with contact, in fact he's making too much of it, and not exactly hitting with much authority. He should be looking to drive his pitch early in the count, not trying to slap balls the other way.

going the other way doesn't mean, slapping at it. anyone can drive the ball to the opposite field. it's just a matter of practicing it. the reason why they practice it is because it allows room for timing error. a hitter trying to drive balls the opposite direction will hit more balls up the middle, than a pull hitter.

going the other way doesn't mean, slapping at it. anyone can drive the ball to the opposite field. it's just a matter of practicing it. the reason why they practice it is because it allows room for timing error. a hitter trying to drive balls the opposite direction will hit more balls up the middle, than a pull hitter.

It depends on the goal. If you practice hitting the other way to improve your ability to hit back up the middle then it's fine. If you are actively trying to hit the ball the other way then you are doing yourself a disservice as a hitter.

Baseballs hit to the opposite field are statistically less valuable then balls hit to the pull field.

Source?

I couldn't find an article addressing this specifically but here are a couple of links that infer as much in the data.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/when-does-spray-data-become-reliable/

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013/9/9/4677304/outcomes-of-flyballs-line-drives-and-groundballs-by-direction-2013

the decision to shift is generally based on data obtained when there is no shift.  

so with a normal defense, a batter tries to hit the ball up the middle because there is a hole there.  

so his stats show that he hit quite a few balls up the middle.  

so let's put a guy up the middle.  

so what about the hole elsewhere?

he doesn't normally hit it there.

BECAUSE THERE ISN'T NORMALLY A HOLE THERE!!!

They do, IP, until it doesn't work, then they want to blame Scioscia.

I just think it's funny he was vilified for not shifting enough last year (despite having the best defensive efficiency in MLB at the time), and now he's stupid for shifting too much.  

Personally, I think it's just early in the year and there isn't a large enough sample size to really have an opinion on whether or not shifts are helping or hurting.  But whatever, people seem to always need a reason to point a finger.