• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who SHOULD win the final bench spot for the Angels?

Chuck

Who do you want to win the final bench spot for the Angels?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the final bench spot for the Angels?

I think they cut Choi loose.

He is passable at first, but not significantly better than Cron to warrant playing time there. He is a disaster in left field. If they could put him in AAA they'd have him down there learning how to play LF, but on the big league team there is no time for on the job training. I don't think he'll hit enough to justify his lack of versatility.

Only way he makes it is if they are legitimately concerned that Cron or Pujols will miss the majority of the year, and I don't think things are looking that way at all right now.

Yeah I know, but Ortega is hitting .333 and has a plus plus arm, good speed just like Gentry --- but he's lefthanded. 

I'd hate to see either one of them get cut. 

Gentry has to make the team. While he wasn't good last year he's had success as a 4th outfielder in the past. He also does all the things you want from your fourth outfielder. He can play plus defense and is capable of playing CF. He runs well, steal a base and can bunt.

I'm not a fan of Choi. I like Ortega but I have no problem with him being sent down for now. So I pick Marte 😎

“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.”

― Tony Robbins

Edited by Troll Daddy

I haven't been overwhelmed by Choi to be honest.  He definitely cannot play the outfield and with Pujols starting the season with the team, I am not sure what Choi brings to the table.  However, it would be nice to keep him.  

Gentry makes it for sure.  

I like Marte actually.  His defense is a bit suspect, but I really like his bat.  The dude has some pop, gets on at a decent clip and can run a little.  Plus, he's not even 25 yet and was once a top 100 prospect.  He could totally turn into a late bloomer and end up a platoon guy or better.  

I think cunningham will go to the minors.  

Ortega is a guys I wouldn't want to lose from the system as well.  Good speed.  Really good OF defense.  Also still not even 25.  

Tough call all around.  All of these guys are way better than anything we got coming any time soon and frankly we really need to keep all of them as depth.  

I'm not a fan of Choi. I like Ortega but I have no problem with him being sent down for now. So I pick Marte

“Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.”

― Tony Robbins

did you just awkwardly force a tony robbins quote into one of your posts?  

Ortega won't make it over Gentry because Ortega can be optioned. We'd be throwing Gentry away and he's performed too well to throw away a potentially quality OF.

Choi will make it over Ortega simply because we will need a lefty bat off the bench and another 1B until Pujols gets his feet back.

Knowing the Angels, come end of April one of Choi, Gentry, Nava, or Cron will be slumping enough to justify sending one to SLC for Ortega to come up.

I think Choi and Marte are both Cron insurance as well. Plus Nava and Calhoun can handle first in a pinch. So it will be up to Choi to really impress out of the gate.

Edited by totdprods

Ji Man got exposed by being a starter during Spring Training and was barely able to do much more than slap some singles and take a few walks, his 2:1 K to BB is not good. They have plenty of time in the start of the season to let him ride pine but unless he shows something more I don't see another Featherston wasted roster space. Eppler seems too proactive to let even the last spot on the bench not be as productive as it can be.

Personally, I have watched almost every inning of every game (ok, I admit some innings were more medicated than others) and Ji Man just isn't ready. Not to say the other candidates are as well, they didn't spend most of Spring in a starting role but came in as B squad replacements against the other teams B squads. Their hitting is predicated on second tier pitching and fielding, some as bad as some of the scrubs the Angels tossed out there to eat innings. So in a way none were tested as hard as Ji Man so really it is hard to say they would perform better against better competition. 

I'm a Choi fan but agree that at this point he's really nothing more than Efren Navarro but 6 years younger. He will win the last spot but he's only going to have a couple weeks to turn things around, and in limited appearances.

Ortega or Marte will be up by May.

Edited by totdprods