• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Billy Eppler - Discount Shopper

i'm real interested in seeing what we can get out of Choi, Guerra and Albequerque.  

I'm hoping for the best with Nava, if he can bounce back this season he's got a shot to take over LF entirely.  I also think that if Pennington can hit a little bit he might be able to steal the 2b job.   

I think i'm a little less optimistic about the actual yield we'll get from these guys.  But enjoyed the read as always Scotty, nice work.  Thanks !

Very good read Scotty,  You stated that Guerra was impresive in the minors.  When I saw him pitch (on TV of course:) ), his fastball seemed flat and very hittable.  What do you think?

Deolis did show an uninspiring fastball in his first Spring appearance, but that's pretty normal. The only pitcher I've seen so far and rock it in mid-season form is Tropeano.

I love Guerra's change up though, filthy. But it's a numbers game, and he has to out perform Rasmus (who is out of options) and Albuquerque, and I don't see it happening without injury. So I see Guerra being offered back to PIT.

Nice job Scotty.  

The direction Eppler is taking with the offense is interesting at the very least.  Yes it's clear that he values defense, but I think we are going to see guys that have some speed as well.  At the plate, I think he'll continue to put a lot of value on guys with a good obp, but another component will be guys with low strikeouts.  

Of course you are always going to need your middle of the lineup guys who hit for power and average as well as get on base, but I think we saw defense and contact/low k rate sacrificed for power.  It was boring as it seemed we were waiting around for someone to hit a bomb.  I am hoping that the new regime can influence guys like Calhoun, Cron and maybe even Pujols to not worry so much about the long ball but getting on base, and shortening up with 2 strikes in an attempt to make contact and hit the ball the other way.  

Not surprisingly, we had the second lowest line drive rate in baseball and the lowest BABIP by far.  I think we are gonna see a change in that with Eppler.  

I am less confident about the pen.  It's gonna be a story if it performs well.   It lacks depth and talent.  

Nice job Scotty.  

The direction Eppler is taking with the offense is interesting at the very least.  Yes it's clear that he values defense, but I think we are going to see guys that have some speed as well.  At the plate, I think he'll continue to put a lot of value on guys with a good obp, but another component will be guys with low strikeouts.  

Of course you are always going to need your middle of the lineup guys who hit for power and average as well as get on base, but I think we saw defense and contact/low k rate sacrificed for power.  It was boring as it seemed we were waiting around for someone to hit a bomb.  I am hoping that the new regime can influence guys like Calhoun, Cron and maybe even Pujols to not worry so much about the long ball but getting on base, and shortening up with 2 strikes in an attempt to make contact and hit the ball the other way.  

Not surprisingly, we had the second lowest line drive rate in baseball and the lowest BABIP by far.  I think we are gonna see a change in that with Eppler.  

I am less confident about the pen.  It's gonna be a story if it performs well.   It lacks depth and talent.

We need that change when your best base sealers had 15 (Aybar) and 11 (Trout) respectively.

I'm hoping for that, and better LF, 3b, and C. Those are what I think the Angels need.

Nice job Scotty.

The direction Eppler is taking with the offense is interesting at the very least. Yes it's clear that he values defense, but I think we are going to see guys that have some speed as well. At the plate, I think he'll continue to put a lot of value on guys with a good obp, but another component will be guys with low strikeouts.

Of course you are always going to need your middle of the lineup guys who hit for power and average as well as get on base, but I think we saw defense and contact/low k rate sacrificed for power. It was boring as it seemed we were waiting around for someone to hit a bomb. I am hoping that the new regime can influence guys like Calhoun, Cron and maybe even Pujols to not worry so much about the long ball but getting on base, and shortening up with 2 strikes in an attempt to make contact and hit the ball the other way.

Not surprisingly, we had the second lowest line drive rate in baseball and the lowest BABIP by far. I think we are gonna see a change in that with Eppler.

I am less confident about the pen. It's gonna be a story if it performs well. It lacks depth and talent.

It's interesting that when Dipoto was brought in, we heard so much about OBP and analytics. I think some of that is posturing. It's clear that Dipoto was more interested in trying to bombard his way to runs, as evidenced by an offense that was supposed to be Calhoun, Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Cron.

So far, it appears Eppler likes old school Scioscia offense, which had a strong core of heavy hitters (Trout, Pujols, Cron and Calhoun), that was surrounded by smaller, speedy contact hitters. Aside from bringing back Bud Black and Ron Roenicke, contact hitters like Simmons, Giavotella, Perez, Escobar and Nava/Gentry should play key roles.

If we can put some of those contact hitters in motion, or at the least manufacture runs, we'll be a very interesting team to watch.