• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia's bullpen management

nate

He has options. De La Rosa has been good as well as Burnett. Roth has been solid and Frieri too. And even Downs has been all right in the right spots. But guys on back or back nights? Mark Lowe and Carpenter when it isn't a mop up roll? That's ****ing terrible

Isn't Burnett hurt.  Didn't De La Rosa pitch three straight games?

Good micro managing guys!

I just don't get the management of the pen last night.  

Roth did great the first three innings.  Then in the fourth it started walk, single, single/run.  He keeps Roth in, and walks the bases loaded.  Mistake number one.

Then he calls on Carpenter.  Who this year in the minors has a 6.48 ERA, 1.85 WHIP, and a .275 OBA.  Mistake number 2.

Then he follows it up with Maronde.  Who this year in the minors has a 6.14 ERA, 2.25 WHIP and a .286 OBA.  Luckily he got out of it, when the score was already 5-0.

He next brings in Kohn.  A 0.00 ERA, 0.48 WHIP, .143 OBA, who gives up 2 runs.

Then they turn to Williams to finish the game out.  A guy on the MLB roster, in a 11-0 game to pitch the final 3 innings.  A guy with a 2.51 ERA and 1.12 WHIP.  Heck, that's the point where you bring in one of the minor league callups.  

Not to mention having MLB guys sitting on the bench that are paid for situations like yesterday.  

It's like the pen was handled backwards last night.  That game was winnable last night.  But it was managed to maximize the chance at a loss.  

Exactly, when your owner spends all his money on age 30+ players, and until Dipoto finally hired much needed new scouts and development folks this past year, you are left with an org devoid of farm system talent and sufficient support players at the MLB level.

I hope Arte Moreno has finally learned his lesson about quick fixes. I'm willing to miss the next 3 post-seasons, if it means perennial post-season appearances afterwards, like Texas is in the midst of.

As if the manager has some way of knowing ahead of time which pitchers will suck that night... 

The extremely drastic swings of emotion here after a win or loss are absolutely ridiculous. 

All I would say is that I was surprised to see David Carpenter coming to the mound in the fourth. I expected Jerome there. But I'm not butt hurt about the choice...

That's all. Hate on. 

Sure, a manager doesn't know ahead of time which pitchers will suck that night with 100% accuracy, but terrible pitchers are going to be suck more than ones that aren't terrible.

David Carpenter is terrible. He doesn't miss bats, he doesn't throw strikes, he gives up too many dingers. Jerome Williams is at least somewhat useful out of the bullpen.

It may not have made a difference with how Darvish was throwing, but why use Carpenter to try to get out of that bases loaded jam and then save WIlliams for garbage time?

I just don't get the management of the pen last night.  

Roth did great the first three innings.  Then in the fourth it started walk, single, single/run.  He keeps Roth in, and walks the bases loaded.  Mistake number one.

Then he calls on Carpenter.  Who this year in the minors has a 6.48 ERA, 1.85 WHIP, and a .275 OBA.  Mistake number 2.

Then he follows it up with Maronde.  Who this year in the minors has a 6.14 ERA, 2.25 WHIP and a .286 OBA.  Luckily he got out of it, when the score was already 5-0.

He next brings in Kohn.  A 0.00 ERA, 0.48 WHIP, .143 OBA, who gives up 2 runs.

Then they turn to Williams to finish the game out.  A guy on the MLB roster, in a 11-0 game to pitch the final 3 innings.  A guy with a 2.51 ERA and 1.12 WHIP.  Heck, that's the point where you bring in one of the minor league callups.  

Not to mention having MLB guys sitting on the bench that are paid for situations like yesterday.  

It's like the pen was handled backwards last night.  That game was winnable last night.  But it was managed to maximize the chance at a loss.  

I think you forgot Williams has a history of getting shelled by the Rangers

I think you forgot Williams has a history of getting shelled by the Rangers

carpenter has a history of getting shelled by everyone.  he shouldnt even be on the active roster and scioscia chose him to get out of the jam over williams?  lol

I find it hilarious that the organization is paying Carpenter the league minimum to pitch with the game on the line and paying Williams 2 mill to be a mop up guy.  Scioscia is a terrible manager and I'm shocked there are people still  defending him.

This thread is liking complaining about how Scioscia rearranged the deck chairs when he worked on the Titanic. The bullpen, hell, this pitching staff, is a total wreck and it has nothing to do with Scioscia, or Butcher.

No kidding, like I said before people are complaining that Sosh is giving a bad wax job to a car that has no engine.

Ridiculous.

I was mad last night and said "fire them all", but I've calmed down since then. Still think it will be a battle for 3rd place. And still taking a break from watching these games, it amazingly contains not a shred of enjoyment.  Things may pick up, it is baseball afterall.

Why is Scioscia bringing in THE best reliever in the 6th????!!!!! Are yu fuc&ing kidding me right now????

Looked like the 6th was the critical point in the game to shut down the Mariners. So the best non closer would be the guy to use.

Dumb, you must be one of those "hate the winning Ron Washington fans", you guys are a hoot.

ron washington is considered one of the worst in-game managers in mlb and he's considerably stupider than mike scioscia. mismanagement isn't unique to the angels. washington doesn't platoon, doesn't pinch hit, regularly uses his worst relievers in high leverage circumstances, and calls for bunts at the worst times. when arthur rhodes was on the team in 2011 he was washington's go-to guy and blew the lead almost every time.