• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gibson Amp. Closing

Don't think so.

The venue's lease expires in September, and it will be torn down to make room for a thorough revamp and expansion of Universal Studios, with the new "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" ride expected to take its place in the complex.

Live Nation said it plans to relocate most shows scheduled for after September there, and will offer  refunds for any shows canceled due to the change.

Venues such as the 7,000-capacity Nokia Theatre and the 6,000-set Greek will likely pick up the slack left from the closing of the 6,000-capacity Gibson. Even if nobody could really call the Gibson a neighborhood venue, or a visually iconic part of L.A. music lore, its artist alumni roster is considerable,  and it was a staple performance space for many essential genres in L.A. music.

the last time i was there it was still called the universal amphitheater. saw rodney dangerfield there once, and then the redneck comedy tour with foxworthy, larry the cable guy, bill engvall, and ron white. good place for a show.

It's wiped out in the Universal Expansion.   

Verizon Wireless closing too... sucks.  

I've seen a ton of shows at both of these venues.

if your 73 children all started and signed a petition, they might listen to you about keeping it open.

I didn't see too many shows there. I caught a couple of Acoustic Xmas' and some other miscellaneous shows there. I assume Acoustic Chrstmas will end up at Nokia.

I haven't been on it but that Harry Potter ride is mighty impressive. It looks like they want Universal to be a legit, day long theme park experience.

I saw the Conan OBrian tour at Gibson. It seemed like a great and underutilized venue.

I can't tell you how many I have seen at Verizon. The first was Oingo Boing and the last was Sociol D and Avett Brothers.

Even though parking was pretty bad, it will suck to not have an outdoor concert venue in OC. I would rather deal with parking in Irvine than driving to L.A. In traffic and dealing with stack parking at the Greek.

From what I have read Live Nation has a land lease for Verizon in Irvine until 2017 so we should have a few more years of concerts there.

Yeah.. it's planned, and not nearly as easily accessible as where Verizon is.   I live 5 mins from there.   And what do we do for four years while we wait?   I don't want to go to Glen Helen out in Devore.  It's a pit.     I loved Meadows.

Irvine Company sucks, same thing happened to Wild Rivers, lease was up, not offered to re-new and apartments put in its place. I like Verizon a lot, I've never had issues getting in or out at sold out shows. I go to Weenie Roast every year.

Last year (or was it the year before?) I was going with my GF and brother - not the same person, before somebody asks - to see the Journey/Foriegner/Night Ranger show.  I was stoked to see Night Ranger, this was my first time for them and I'd seen the other bands multiple times.  I ended up wating almost an hour to get in from 2 miles away on the freeway.  Got there halfway through Foreigner's set.  Still haven't seen Night Ranger.  My life is incomplete.

Once Nokia theater opened, it was pretty much the demise of Gibson.

I hope they put another outdoor facility in OC for big shows. It's a tough trek to Cricket Wireless (Chula Vista) and San Manuel Amphitheater (Devore)