• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Earthquake Thread

the first earthquake i remember was the 1971 shaker. it was early morning and woke me up. i thought someone was shaking all of my baseball trophies for some weird reason. opened my eyes and realized no one was there. dad came in and said it was an earthquake (i was 11) and needed to get in the door way immediately. i lived in hawthorne and we were relatively unscathed. i remember a VA hospital in san fernando was hit hard and there were concerns about cracks in a dam out that way, though those haven't really materialized.

I grew up in Northridge, the '71 quake was a real eye-opener.  They condemned the main building of the elementary school I was attending.  I was 11 at the time.

I moved to OC before the '94 quake but we felt it for sure.

I remember Landers and Big Bear a couple of hours later. I was living in Riverside at the time, and was on my way to work that morning. I remember driving down Magnolia Ave and feeling the car bouncing around and thought that my alignment was screwed up. Then I saw the swarms of birds flying from tree to tree in the median and the traffic lights bouncing around and I knew what it was.

Then, when driving my hotel's shuttle to Ontario Airport, the radio station I was listening to mentioned that the ground was shaking again, although I didn't feel it at the time. That was the Big Bear quake.

I went to Landers about a week later and stood in the fault line. One side had been raised about two feet in relation to the other side.

I grew up in Northridge, the '71 quake was a real eye-opener.  They condemned the main building of the elementary school I was attending.  I was 11 at the time.

I moved to OC before the '94 quake but we felt it for sure.

That means you and I are the same age. Figured you for being much younger for some reason.

I was 6 when that one hit. My mom had gone to Mississippi for a funeral and I was staying with my uncle in Canoga Park. It shook me off the sofa where I was sleeping and I still remember the confusion of being on the floor of a strange apartment trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

My wife and I were looking at houses with a real estate agent in Granada Hills on a nice warm sunday afternoon. Even found one that was the spitting image of the house I grew up in. The price was right and the boys would go to this nice school called Van Gogh Elementary.

Monday morning the Northridge quake hit, we were rattleld pretty hard in Chino. I turned on the news and they were showing the destruction, the elementary school had collapsed, the main street had both briken water mains and gas lines that made a sureal picture if Dantes Inferno the Granada Hills edition. Countless millions in damage, the freeway overpass that would take me to work had collapsed. No utilities, no water, a national disaster is called.

What also called that day was the real estate agent asking if we wanted to bid on the house. That also was surreal as he was saying what a good value the home would be since it wasn't damaged by the quake.

Edited by notti

There was a pretty good shake on Easter a few years ago. Nothing like Northridge though.

Funny, this thread came up because I was talking with some friends about how we haven't had one In a while and how we have had "earthquake weather" lately.

yeah, remember that one. It wasnt too bad out here, but a friend who was a firefighter down there at thet time said his city got absolutely leveled. Not sure where is was, it was a starter fire job before he lateralled back up here to a better department. But i remember talking to him like a year after it happened and him telling me how their city still had collapsed buildings all over. It was some low income area out in the desert, near the border somewhere

I remember Landers and Big Bear a couple of hours later. I was living in Riverside at the time, and was on my way to work that morning. I remember driving down Magnolia Ave and feeling the car bouncing around and thought that my alignment was screwed up. Then I saw the swarms of birds flying from tree to tree in the median and the traffic lights bouncing around and I knew what it was.

Then, when driving my hotel's shuttle to Ontario Airport, the radio station I was listening to mentioned that the ground was shaking again, although I didn't feel it at the time. That was the Big Bear quake.

I went to Landers about a week later and stood in the fault line. One side had been raised about two feet in relation to the other side.

that was around 91/92 right? I always mention that to people and so many forgot that one. Two big ones on the same day. I was in OC but it was real strong

Seemed like we used to get a lot more 5s when i was a kid. Like every 2-3 years. Been a while, and thats scary.

We do drills at work sometimes where we head to predetermined spots to check for damage. Things like freeway overpasses, water resevoir, power stations etc. The reality is if/when it hits wed be totally overwhelmed.

Off topic, but a guy i used to work with was at LASD before we worked together. He was the first cop on scene for the plane that went down in cerritos back in 86 (?). I asked him what you do in something like that. He said "stand there and freeze basically". I know that sounds shitty, but being the first guy in on any emergency is always tough becausw youre swamped with a 1000 things to do, where to start. A whole neighborhood destroyed and burning, with a hundred or so dead bodies all over, looking for survivors and trying to protect evidence...id probably freeze up for a bit too.

• 3 months later...