• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So, the Academy Award Controversy

What are your thoughts about it?

Here is my confusion.  African Americans make up about 12% of the population.  So why is there such a outrage that they didn't get a nomination?

Also, the hypocrisy, George Clooney makes some big statement about how blacks have been wronged in movies yet none of the movies he has produced or direction have any main black characters.

This is going to backfire spectacularly in the Academy's face.  And not for the color or whatever.  BTW, no Asians in movie, I'm boycotting, or at least I should have China boycott.  And those damn Hispanics bogartting the director award.  Boot em.

Anyways, regarding the backfire.  They are changing their membership requirements.  It's probably going to be a much smaller group now.  Smaller groups now pretty much go to a popularity contest.  But on top of that.  With the oldies getting booted out.  I can see a shift in the nominations going from art films, to popular films.  Which won't necessarily be a bad thing for the viewing audience.

What cez said.  I look at these award shows as rich famous people getting together to pat each other on the back.  I realize they aren't voting in most cases but to me it's ultimately just one more way for them to get their egos stroked.  Now this controversy is a way for them put on their SJW capes and act like they give a crap but it trivializes the real issues.    

Idris Elba deserved a supporting actor nomination for Beasts of No Nation, however, I assume Hollywood hates Netflix so I'm not surprised he didn't get one. Similarly, Trumbo deserved more recognition, but I am not surprised that it didn't since it is an anti-Hollywood/Academy movie. Straight Outta Compton definitely deserved more nominations, and I am pretty shocked it didn't get one for Best Picture since it is a biopic that received both critical and public acclaim. Will Smith wasn't anything special in Concussion and I am glad he didn't get a nomination. 

Idris Elba deserved a supporting actor nomination for Beasts of No Nation, however, I assume Hollywood hates Netflix so I'm not surprised he didn't get one. Similarly, Trumbo deserved more recognition, but I am not surprised that it didn't since it is an anti-Hollywood/Academy movie. Straight Outta Compton definitely deserved more nominations, and I am pretty shocked it didn't get one for Best Picture since it is a biopic that received both critical and public acclaim. Will Smith wasn't anything special in Concussion and I am glad he didn't get a nomination. 

Regarding Straight outta Compton.  While I hear it's a great movie.  I wonder if it suffered from marketing? 

Now I don't know if it was sent out or not.  I do know that every academy voter got a copy of Revenant.  Even if it's still out in theaters.  Does this play into the voting?  Comton has been out on DVD for a while.  But for an academy voter, who are you going to vote for, the film you got for free in the mail and just saw, among the 20 other movies you got?  Or a movie you have to go out to buy/rent. 

Again, not sure if Compton or other movies got sent to voters.

I don't care about millionaires complaining about getting shunned by an awards show, no matter their color.

Race and class are major issues in our country, and stuff like this trivializes it in a way. Really stupid.

Ice cube said the same thing

He doesn't give a damn about a Grammy, he was happy the movie made a billion dollars

fangraphs sayws trumbo is overrated, and the academy agreed

As per MT's original post, i agree. Not on terms so much of what percentage of the population of the country is black, but the amount of movies are "black". I think denzel and will smith are usually praised at least as much as the top white actors. And in terms of the top white actors, aside from dicaprio, pitt, cloony and those types, how many have really had the longevity of guys like denzel and will smith?

I liked straight out of compton a lot. Was way better than i was expecting, watched it again last week. But i liked socario better, and it only recieved filler award nominations too.

fangraphs sayws trumbo is overrated, and the academy agreed

As per MT's original post, i agree. Not on terms so much of what percentage of the population of the country is black, but the amount of movies are "black". I think denzel and will smith are usually praised at least as much as the top white actors. And in terms of the top white actors, aside from dicaprio, pitt, cloony and those types, how many have really had the longevity of guys like denzel and will smith?

I liked straight out of compton a lot. Was way better than i was expecting, watched it again last week. But i liked socario better, and it only recieved filler award nominations too.

Benecio Del Toro in Sicario could be considered a snub and you don't see Hispanic people getting up in arms about it.

Edited by Ray McKigney

And in terms of the top white actors, aside from dicaprio, pitt, cloony and those types, how many have really had the longevity of guys like denzel and will smith?

I think one of the problems with Denzel and Will is they do more popular movies.  I have not seen it, but Concussion had a more Draft Day type vibe to it.  It could have been so much more, but it didn't have that over the top quality to it. 

Again, maybe I'm too critical.  But when I see the ads for Concussion, it doesn't draw me in.  Race on the other hand, I can't wait for.

I'll say it.

The racism and reverse racism by some blacks is a joke. It's either an entitlement issue like today's teenagers or they do shit like this where they create racism, or what really amounts to a certain type of reverse racism where they make issues out of non-issues and it adds to the divide that I personally feel is shrinking as the older generations die off (yes, you whitey who when I ask race questions to for mortgage docs you reply with american).

It's pretty much only blacks too and it bums me out. You don't see other races creating this kind of drama or attention to themselves, which ultimately isolates themselves and adds to prejudice and racism.

I felt like we were turning a corner when the Trayvon Martin shit happened and you saw how many different races and mainly whites came out to protest. It became a real issue and not a race issue.

I'm not naive enough to think shit doesn't exist (for all races, religions, and genders), but shit like this fuels the fire and is really disappointing. It feels like a step back every time a black person pulls the race card on non-race issues.

Straight Outta Compton was probably a snub, so we're others.