• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Signing Upton/Cespedes

Signing Upton/Cespedes  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How much does the amount of money/years matter?

• Offer a high AAV as long as we stay short with the length
    • Offer more years and less AAV ( stay below the threshold in future years)
    • 1 year deal is the way to go
    • Try to sign them... But there's a limit to everything
    • Sign them no matter what. Pshhhh, Arte is a billionaire plus we can't waste Trouts talent
    • Both will be bad signings. Stick with the platoon or trade for an OF

The Astros getting Cespedes would be the cherry on top of this offseason. They have a pretty good outfield already between Rasmus/Gomez/Springer.

If he signs with the Astros we know Arte has thrown in the towel. I prefer the Arte that would challenge the Dodgers not the one that would allow the perfect piece for our team to go to be what is essentially a luxury to our rival.

If he signs with the Astros we know Arte has thrown in the towel. I prefer the Arte that would challenge the Dodgers not the one that would allow the perfect piece for our team to go to be what is essentially a luxury to our rival.

But....muh economics

The Astros getting Cespedes would be the cherry on top of this offseason. They have a pretty good outfield already between Rasmus/Gomez/Springer.

I could totally see them doing this. They could trade one Gomez for a starting pitcher, or to re-replenish their farm after several deals this past year. 

That said, I don't see either the Nats or Astros signing him. Nightingale was just speculating. 

I can see the O's or Mets however.

F'n Arte, just offer the man 5 years, 110 million and get it over with. Cespedes is a run producer, clutch, has HR power, can run a little and plays a VERY GOOD defense with one of the best arms in LF. 

Raise ticket prices to pay for the Hamilton cluster****. I only go to 2-3 games a year anyhow in Anaheim. :)

But....muh economics

Obviously he knows more about it than we do, but it's his ego of, "I'm not spending more money that will tax me and give money to the teams I'm playing against", that is preventing this. It's not like he won't make a profit. I'd be willing to bet with a big signing it increases his chance of being more profitable.

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that "nothing has changed with the Angels" and they still aren't pursuing free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

The Angels are a perfect fit on paper, as they currently project to have a combination of Daniel Nava and Craig Gentry in left field, but owner Arte Moreno doesn't want to go over the luxury tax threshold. Barring a change of heart, he will end up elsewhere. The Mets and White Sox remain interest on short-term deals while the Astros and Nationals have also been mentioned as possibilities.

If Trump doesn't become POTUS maybe He can make the Angels Great Again.

Considering he is a racist he might have some "community relations" issues with our non-white fans.

On the bright side, if Trump works for the Angels.  Maybe he will put a wall around Arte, to prevent him from making another impulsive acquisition. 

Again the question is asked. Why is Moreno so scaredy cat to go over the threshold for one season, given $31 million AAV coming off payroll after 2016?

WTF does $3 million extra in tax mean to a billionaire, when he can recoup that AND THEN SOME with a team playing in the post-season?

Because he read all of your ridiculous posts about him meddling and being starry eyed, so he took your advice.

Can't have it both ways AO.

You know as well as I do that free agency isn't an exact science. Regardless of age or in Hamilton's case a bad second half and his past drug issues.

Cespedes is most likely going to turn into Cesspooldes once he signs a Hamilton sized contract. He has the most erratic career of any of the outfielders on the market and bounced from one team to the other. You would think a guy with that much talent wouldn't be passed around like Victor's mom but obviously there is something more than his golf addiction that scares teams away.

Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports that "nothing has changed with the Angels" and they still aren't pursuing free agent outfielder Yoenis Cespedes.

The Angels are a perfect fit on paper, as they currently project to have a combination of Daniel Nava and Craig Gentry in left field, but owner Arte Moreno doesn't want to go over the luxury tax threshold. Barring a change of heart, he will end up elsewhere. The Mets and White Sox remain interest on short-term deals while the Astros and Nationals have also been mentioned as possibilities.

No surprise here. Not sure why Arte would change his mind on a player after a month. He made it known that none of the remaining big name OFers are guys he wanted that would take them over the tax. Pretty cut and dried

Cespedes is most likely going to turn into Cesspooldes once he signs a Hamilton sized contract. He has the most erratic career of any of the outfielders on the market and bounced from one team to the other. You would think a guy with that much talent wouldn't be passed around like Victor's mom but obviously there is something more than his golf addiction that scares teams away.

Yea, I give him a pass for two of the trades that he was a part of. Who, with talent, isn't traded from the A's. Then he gets traded by a team out of it and the deadline. Hell, even when he was traded from Boston it was because Boston had Betts, and Jackie Bradley Jr waiting in the wings and they wanted pitching. As far as how erratic his career has been, yea, there is no arguing that. I would still take him because he is very solid offensively and plays a good left field.

Yea, I give him a pass for two of the trades that he was a part of. Who, with talent, isn't traded from the A's. Then he gets traded by a team out of it and the deadline. Hell, even when he was traded from Boston it was because Boston had Betts, and Jackie Bradley Jr waiting in the wings and they wanted pitching. As far as how erratic his career has been, yea, there is no arguing that. I would still take him because he is very solid offensively and plays a good left field.

People also forget that he has been in the MLB for a total of 4 seasons.  He did well his rookie season.  Not so well his second season.  Third season, A's sold like they usually do to Boston.  He looked like he was going to have a good season in Oakland up until the trade, and 1/3 of a season in Boston I more attribute to getting used to.  4th season, Boston then trades him to the Tigers, and Tigers trade him to the Mets.  He had good numbers in both those lots.

The other thing regarding Cespedes and his age is, he doesn't have as many miles as most players that signed this offseason.  He played mainly 90 game seasons in Cuba.  So he may age better than most of the players. 

Of course it's all a moot point, because we won't sign him. 

I don't think that money is the deciding factor here. Hes a businessman but a competitor first and foremost. He told everyone that he wouldn't go over the threshold and could feel quite adamant about that decision. Maybe he feels he will lose future negotiating power or just be viewed as a weaker man/owner for "flip flopping" on his word. You would think that he would be more embarrassed that he has meddled in the teams day to day, has acknowledged the issue and then apparently has just continued to do it. He is the man who puts his name on the checks but why hire people if you think you can do it better. When the Orioles gave Davis an ultimatum, I think they might have actually given Arte one. Yoenis was always the big name outfielder that we would sign if we went that direction. No one expected the market to take this long to establish itself but it has done nothing but help that Angels IMO. The long off-season has dwindled down the main competition and gave us ample time to really get creative and explore other possibilities. There's always the chance that the other two big FA's signed so quick here in the last couple of days, because Yoenis has already verbally agreed to a contract and is waiting on the details. If he is coming to the Angels though, you'll be hearing about in the next day or two. A deal does take a few days to consummate so..... We all got the impression, that if we went after a game changing player, it would be for someone like Cespedes. I say he gets around 5yrs/$110MM and even possibly our first ever opt-out for a player, getting it after years 2 and 3 in the contract.  All we need to know is Yoenis is now the top dog on the market and we all know how Arte likes his top dogs.

Edited by DailyHalo

Because he read all of your ridiculous posts about him meddling and being starry eyed, so he took your advice.

Can't have it both ways AO.

You know as well as I do that free agency isn't an exact science. Regardless of age or in Hamilton's case a bad second half and his past drug issues.

That being said, how many MLB teams have signed as many bigger money FAs as the Halos have since 2010, who basically flubbed in their time with the new team?

And yes, part of that is Moreno's starry eyed meddling with Pujols and Hackilton.

Yes I am glad the ridiculous contracts to aging superstars are a thing of the past.

BUT, doing a 180 isn't the solution either.

Hiring better scouts and development folks is.

The above doesn't mean Cespedes for 5 years/$100-$110 million is automatically like that.

He isn't declining at all, and only has played 4 MLB seasons plus the shorter 90+ game seasons in Cuba.

He fills a desperate need too.

All we need from him is at least an .800 OPS, something Pujols apparently can't do anymore, to go with the defense/arm in LF.

And thus would be the ONLY acquisition involving that kind of money for at least 2 years, per the cruddy FA group a year from now.

By two years from now, $56 million (Weave, Nibs, Hackilton) will have been subtracted from AAV payroll plus adding in $20-$22 million AAV if signing Cespedes.

That's still $34 million AAV freed up by then.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't think that money is the deciding factor here. Hes a businessman but a competitor first and foremost. He told everyone that he wouldn't go over the threshold and could feel quite adamant about that decision. Maybe he feels he will lose future negotiating power or just be viewed as a weaker man/owner for "flip flopping" on his word. You would think that he would be more embarrassed that he has meddled in the teams day to day, has acknowledged the issue and then apparently has just continued to do it. He is the man who puts his name on the checks but why hire people if you think you can do it better. When the Orioles gave Davis an ultimatum, I think they might have actually given Arte one. Yoenis was always the big name outfielder that we would sign if we went that direction. No one expected the market to take this long to establish itself but it has done nothing but help that Angels IMO.

How has the this market helped us? Everyone is getting what had been predicted, or more.

And exactly how is Arte "meddling"?

Edited by Lou

People also forget that he has been in the MLB for a total of 4 seasons.  He did well his rookie season.  Not so well his second season.  Third season, A's sold like they usually do to Boston.  He looked like he was going to have a good season in Oakland up until the trade, and 1/3 of a season in Boston I more attribute to getting used to.  4th season, Boston then trades him to the Tigers, and Tigers trade him to the Mets.  He had good numbers in both those lots.

The other thing regarding Cespedes and his age is, he doesn't have as many miles as most players that signed this offseason.  He played mainly 90 game seasons in Cuba.  So he may age better than most of the players. 

Of course it's all a moot point, because we won't sign him.

what I read there were a lot of excuses for his play.

so why have so many teams rid themselves of thus guy in such a short period of time?

Gaylord Cespedes. Works for me

So where's Scioscia in all of this?

How come he hasn't used his amazing influence to prevail upon Arte and Eppler to bring in a free agent OF?

no, no, no.

everybody demanded he just manage the team and stay away from the FO decision makers.

I'm surprised this place isn't ecstatic over this off-season