• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Salas and Angels Avoid Arbitration

mulwin444

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/players-avoiding-arbitration-van-slyke-jennings.html

• Fernando Salas and the Angels are in agreement on a one-year, $2.4MM deal, thereby avoiding a hearing, per Rosenthal. The 30-year-old Salas, who will be a free agent next winter, posted a 4.24 ERA in 63 2/3 innings this past season but had more encouraging peripherals; Salas averaged 10.5 K/9 against 1.7 BB/9 with a 35.1 percent ground-ball rate, prompting FIP (3.15) xFIP (3.23) and SIERA (2.65) to forecast markedly better results.

Exciting time to be an Angels fan!

So the Angels agreed to give Salas $2.4 million but wanted to give Calhoun $2.35 million? They know where to allocate their money when it comes to this stacked roster

Come on, bb. You know unless a guy is a star, arbitration figures have as much to do with service time than anything else.

This was Salas' last season of arbitration while Calhoun is in his first.

The upside is his peripherals give reason to hope he can be an effective reliever. I know we're jaded and cynical here when it comes to expecting positive results from some guys but at least the potential exists

his peripherals have always been better than his actual performance.  he's like the anti-weaver/santiago.  

he did have 7 runners score that he left on base when he exited the game.  which is pretty random.  

After doing a little digging, he was actually pretty good last year.  held opponents to a .538 ops in ties and a .614 when the team was ahead.  

His era was typical of a reliever where it doesn't come close to telling the story.  

I was always under the impression that the closer the games, the worse he was, but in fact it was the opposite last year.  

No, he'll come in, give up the game tying HR, THEN blow the next two guys away and walk off all smug like he deserves a nice pat on the bum.

nah he'll come in with 2 on and one out.. give up a 2 run double and strike out the next 2..

I've never seen a reliever give up so many runs that counted towards the previous pitcher.

Edited by Poozy

nah he'll come in with 2 on and one out.. give up a 2 run double and strike out the next 2..

I've never seen a reliever give up so many runs that counted towards the previous pitcher.

Well, here is the definitive answer, he allowed 10 inherited runners to score in 2015.

Here's the whole list:  http://www.sportingcharts.com/mlb/stats/pitching-inherited-runners-scored-leaders/2015/

Cesar Ramos, who just about everyone wanted to keep over Salas allowed 14.  Al Albuquerque allowed 15.

Edited by tomsred

he let in 10 of 48 inherited runners last year.  The former was he 11th most inherited runner in baseball.  Put him at 21%.  League average was 30%.  

Jose Alvarez let in 12 of 35

Gott allowed 9 of 22 to score

Ramos let in 14 of 68.  (he lead baseball in inherited runners)

Not a big fan of Salas, but the more I dig into his numbers, the more I realize he was pretty solid last year.  

The thing that concerns me is that if 2015 was a good year for him, does that mean he's due?  

he let in 10 of 48 inherited runners last year.  The former was he 11th most inherited runner in baseball.  Put him at 21%.  League average was 30%.  

Jose Alvarez let in 12 of 35

Gott allowed 9 of 22 to score

Ramos let in 14 of 68.  (he lead baseball in inherited runners)

Not a big fan of Salas, but the more I dig into his numbers, the more I realize he was pretty solid last year.  

The thing that concerns me is that if 2015 was a good year for him, does that mean he's due?  

I stand corrected...His ERA has been shit for his entire career and his stuff kind of sucks for a reliever.

I've just never felt comfortable with him on the mound.

Edited by Poozy