• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yankees acquire Aroldis Chapman from Reds

bloodbrother

then why the surprise as to his current value and what the Yankees gave up to get him?

I wouldn't touch this guy with a ten foot pole and I am sure most teams felt the same. Frankly, I am surprised they were even able to trade him at all.

Whatever his antics off the field are, he's still arguably the top reliever in baseball. Given what we've seen teams get for premium closers in the past, it's just odd that NY only had to part with a handful of back-end prospects to get him.

Not odd because I think the Angels could or should have matched it, but odd considering the absurd market for pitching. One would think a pitcher of Chapman's caliber would have costed at least one premier prospect, regardless of his baggage.

Whatever his antics off the field are, he's still arguably the top reliever in baseball. Given what we've seen teams get for premium closers in the past, it's just odd that NY only had to part with a handful of back-end prospects to get him.

Not odd because I think the Angels could or should have matched it, but odd considering the absurd market for pitching. One would think a pitcher of Chapman's caliber would have costed at least one premier prospect, regardless of his baggage.

Antics off the field matter to a lot of teams.  A reason why the dodgers are looking to trade puig yet can't find a buyer to give them what they think he's worth.  The other thing to keep in mind is that he's only got 1yr of control left and slated to make 13mil.  So you need to find a team that wants to win now, can afford to pay him and doesn't care about his baggage.  That severely limits the number of suitors.  If you don't trade him, you run the risk of getting nothing for him.  

What if the reds think he's going to jail?  or think he's going to serve a lengthy suspension? Not defending the reds here, but I can see where they are coming from.  

We gave up our two top prospects for a defensive player. Great on defense, poor on offense = average.

He's not poor on offense. He's average for a SS. Ranks 6th in BA, 4th in OBP, and 13th in OPS among 19 qualified SS. He's average. But he's the best defensive SS in baseball which just so happens to be an incredibly valuable position when it comes to defense. He's clearly an all around above average player.

The red Sox had to trade 2 top 100 prospects to get 2 years of Kimbrel. Angels have up 1 to get 5 years of Simmons. Ellis might have been our number 2, but wouldn't rank close to that in a better farm system. Yankees gave up nothing to get a player nobody wanted to touch because of what he's accused of doing.

He's not poor on offense. He's average for a SS. Ranks 6th in BA, 4th in OBP, and 13th in OPS among 19 qualified SS. He's average. But he's the best defensive SS in baseball which just so happens to be an incredibly valuable position when it comes to defense. He's clearly an all around above average player.

The red Sox had to trade 2 top 100 prospects to get 2 years of Kimbrel. Angels have up 1 to get 5 years of Simmons. Ellis might have been our number 2, but wouldn't rank close to that in a better farm system. Yankees gave up nothing to get a player nobody wanted to touch because of what he's accused of doing.

Plus no one is sure how long he will play. He could miss half the season due to suspension.

Think of what the Angels moved to get a year and a half of Street them look at what the Yanks just gave up to get what may be one year (or half a year) of Chapman.

Edited by eaterfan

Plus no one is sure how long he will play. He could miss half the season due to suspension.

Think of what the Angels moved to get a year and a half of Street them look at what the Yanks just gave up to get what may be one year (or half a year) of Chapman.

That's the luxury of having a deep farm system. The Yankees didn't even need Chapman and they didn't have give up a frontline player or any of their top prospects to get him. Yankees Win, theeee Yankees Win!

Other than Troll Daddy.

But he doesn't count, so you're right.

I appreciate the luv and you're right.

There's a equally good chance that Chapman doesn't get a suspension. It's a closed case as far as the police is concerned. I would imagine the Yankees looked into the situation with MLB before making the trade.

Since the price on Chapman dropped so very low, it would've been smart for just about ANY team to go after him.

Maybe the Skanks were offering the most attractive package. Doesn't seem entirely outside the realm of possibility. 

Why wouldn't the reds just hold onto him and get a free 1st rounder out of it then...

I would think a 1st round pick is more valuable than the prospects the yankees gave up.

Edited by Poozy

I really don't think teams flinched in the domestic violence, they have players throughout the league that have that rap sheet. Suspensions phase out and the player is on the team without as much as a couple days of media attention. The firearms violation is what really scares the shit out of everyone.

We would have all flipped our shit at the time.

Hindsight though....

to be fair, at the time that was a ton to give up. Wood obviously was a bust, but at the time he had huge, huge value. He could have landed a ton of impact guys via trade. Howie and santana were viewed as very good young guys too, howie had all sorts of hype. And i think the hangup was that mcab was a free agent after that year, so they were scared to make that trade due to it.

Mcab would have been nice though...him and vlad together would have been insane. Another ring im almost sure. And no pujols deal to boot...

Anyone read this theory that chapman isnt a FA after this year unless he plays a certain amount of games? So if he gets suspended, the yanks get him next year too?

It would be nice if we ever developed a Betances or Miller in the pen.

Nothing in the same time zone since K-Rod and Shields made their way to the MLB roster many moons ago, although if they would get off their butts and move Alcantara to the pen?  

Edited by Angel Oracle