• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Chris Cotillo: Angels and Padres after Daniel Nava

jsnpritchett

you have to build interest in the team every season. the exception being a world series hangover. the truth is that surprise winning teams don't see an immediate influx in attendance and merchandise during the season. sometimes not at all. the media working hand in hand with the league is what builds fan interest and along with that come expectations. you must manufacture the first, but it's meaningless if you don't win on the field.

it's really no different than attracting someone's interest at a party or something. you can get them to look your way with any number of tricks, but if you want to hold their attention, then you better show them something interesting.

We have the best player in baseball Mike Trout and we have yesterday's best baseball player in Albert Pujols. We have the Rally Monkey, the Trout Farm, sunny skies, bobble heads the Strike Force and plenty of giveaways so the entertainment value is already built in. Now we might go through some lean years but we will remain in the mix because of Trout, Calhoun, our young pitching and the other pieces. I know a lot of people who still go to Disneyland even though the Matterhorn is under repair. Hang in there and give Eppler some time to fix the team.

We have the best player in baseball Mike Trout and we have yesterday's best baseball player in Albert Pujols. We have the Rally Monkey, the Trout Farm, sunny skies, bobble heads the Strike Force and plenty of giveaways so the entertainment value is already built in. Now we might go through some lean years but we will remain in the mix because of Trout, Calhoun, our young pitching and the other pieces. I know a lot of people who still go to Disneyland even though the Matterhorn is under repair. Hang in there and give Eppler some time to fix the team.

i'm sorry, but this is nonsense. other than trout, everything you mentioned is a platitude.

i appreciate the sentiment of "hang in there", but i'm fine. i think the angels are ok too, they just need to spend FA dollars if they want to win, because basically for the past decade they've decided that's mostly how they want to build their team. it wasn't my decision, so the onus isn't on me, the fan.

Edited by ukyah

If they're going to go cheap, I'd rather they sign Eric Thames. A 29 year old power bat who put up a .769 OPS as a rookie with Toronto and has become the Barry Bonds of Korea. Even though there's little chance he's going to be the next Cecil Fielder, he seems to have a lot higher upside than the other schlubs they've been signing or discussing.

He certainly wasn't my first choice when he signed with us, but I really thought I could find some positives in it, but as it turned out there are only negatives.  Maybe it can be seen as an expensive lesson.

Edited by tomsred

It's like everyone wants Arte to keep feeding the same slot machine because he knows there's money in it because he put it there. Maybe if he pulls the handle one more time he might hit the jackpot.

Good point, although in Cespedes' case no draft picks are lost and it may end up costing as low as 5-6 years/$22 million per season for a just turned 30 guy with only 4 MLB seasons and a few shorter Cuban seasons under his belt.

Maximize the situation by keeping all draft picks and getting a solid LF in here.

I do not understand the Simmons trade if we were going to be ridiculously frugal in free agency.  Makes zero sense. Why not keep your top prospect if you're just assembling a team to compete for 3rd place at best. 

I will be completely be on board with this statement if by March nothing else has changed. Until then, it's too soon to speculate on the state of the off season.  

We need a special party when the team is done paying him off.  The only consolation in it all is when he get paid a good portion of it goes to his kids, and the taxes he pays flow back to the government.

So...hookers & blow?

Edited by Mark68