• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Demise of Peter Bourjos (Fangraphs)

Angelsjunky

An interesting article about our once beloved Peter Bourjos. As you probably know, he was claimed off waivers by the Phillies. The article talks about how much he sucked in St. Louis and never really took advantage of any chances he got.

I remember when he was a prospect and hearing folks rave about him, and me thinking that he was terribly overrated and wouldn't amount to much. But then he had an excellent 2010 in AAA and a surprising good first year with the big club in 2011, when it looked like he could become a borderline star. But then a combination of injuries and this guy happened. And then Peter was traded - and I, and most others, hated it. Now it is looking like Grichuk is the real loss and Peter is nothing to cry over.

Anyhow, it is really too bad. Peter reminded me of a post-2000 Darin Erstad - mediocre bat, but incredible defense and excellent speed. But that really was only one year. Oh well.

They did get fleeced. Cards have a cheap, young and quality looking player in Grichuk while the Angels have a massive hole in the OF + still have Fernando Salas.

quality looking player? You must mean his looks xxxx

Edited because poster hasn't grown up yet

Edited by Lou

Initial whining was over bourjos. Most people have realized long ago the true loss was Grichuk, which is a big loss. That being said, we win games with freese. A humongous sample size shows it. And people wanna roll with dudes like kubitza, which is laughable.

Not for this guy -- I was bent about Grichuk and only Grichuk from day one.  I was pointing to his predictive stats and calling for him to take big step forward even as people were piling on him due to his lack of walks -- those posts are all still up in the minor league forum.  Grichuk was vastly underrated because of triple slash stats and what IMO most people's tendency to dismiss park effects.   People also glossed over what had become a Randal Grichuk trend, he typically improve as the year went on -- something he did at the MLB level as well.  Grichuk has his warts, but the plus defense, extreme raw power and baserunning will make him a valuable player.

Some people thought we got fleeced from that trade Lmao!

We did, your head is just so far up Jerry's rear end you don't realize it.   PB for Freese was never a problem -- including Grichuk was.  But yeah, it's pointless to keep talking about it.  Freese played well enough to merit his end of the deal and while I hate the guy, Salas has pitched better than his traditional stats would indicate.  He's just got that Howie Kendrick flair for bad timing.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Some people thought we got fleeced from that trade Lmao!

lol what a terrible post.

I was upset about both Grichuk and Bourjos, figuring it was way too much to give up. Even with Bourjos tanking, it still was. I am surprised Peter never came close to recreating what he did in 2011 though. I was never totally sold on him until that year, but guys who are that good defensively and can have the good offensive year he had then are pretty damn rare. He hasn't been able to do it again, which surprises me. Maybe the likelihood of constant playing time with the Phillies will give him another opportunity.

that deal was a fairly good deal for both teams. Obviously not exactly a 'blockbuster' trade or even a significant one.

I always liked Bourjos and still do but understood that he was never going to get much playing time with the Halos.

I thought with his hustle and style of sparkling defense play and speed he would become a St. Louis fan favorite. It didn't happen - in fact -- instead he got off to a really poor start with the Cardinals and something went terribly wrong because the usually forgiving Cardinals fans sort of turned on Bourjos -- don't know what happened other than the slow start -- but Cards fans starting booing him and getting on him a bit which, again, is not what usually happens in St. Louis, a fan base that really appreciates the Cards' players.

The Grichuck got a hot bad and other folks were inserted into the line up and Bourjos was never able to get much playing time back.......he was limited to a very limited late inning defensive and sometimes PR role and seemed to have gotten totally forgotten at one point -- it was hard to tell when he was on the DL or off it because his playing time was so scarce.

Not he's in Philadelphia -- a town where you can go two for four with 5 rbi but if you struck out the last two AB's they on you in a hurry and booing you.

I wish the good natured Bourjos well with the Phillies -but something tells me it's a not a good fit for him there ----he may in AAA either to start the season or, if not, by June.

I'm not defending the slur in this post, but the AW moderators and staff seem to have no problems with various forms of offensive and puerile comments. Why this one?

I appreciated the censorship by Lou.  Thanks for doing it.

The comments by the moderator were fine, even a bit humorous.

lol what a terrible post.

I was upset about both Grichuk and Bourjos, figuring it was way too much to give up. Even with Bourjos tanking, it still was. I am surprised Peter never came close to recreating what he did in 2011 though. I was never totally sold on him until that year, but guys who are that good defensively and can have the good offensive year he had then are pretty damn rare. He hasn't been able to do it again, which surprises me. Maybe the likelihood of constant playing time with the Phillies will give him another opportunity.

This was my reaction as well. I hated the trade, and I hated giving up both players. I was mad about giving up Bourjos for Freese, I never would've made that move, but I understood it and thought it was a fair price to pay. Including Grichuk was just absolutely foolish.

I too was surprised Peter didn't do better in StL. At this point I think we do have to seriously question his fragility. It was a hamstring and a broken hand that cut his play short with us. In StL he had 2 surgeries but never missed time. Hard to say wether it was the injuries or lack of play time that really did him in. I'm still confident he could hit at a respectable level if he was in the lineup every day.

I'm not defending the slur in this post, but the AW moderators and staff seem to have no problems with various forms of offensive and puerile comments. Why this one?

what are some of your examples of offensive and puerile? i know there are plenty, but not having your examples yet, i'd imagine that they pale by example.

I wonder what the comments about Grichuk would be if the Hamilton the Angels thought they were signing produced?

Why?  Do you think if Hamilton had worked out that it would have been okay to throw away a legit talent?  

Giving up a player of that quality as a throw is was and always will be a foolish move.  When coupled with the pathetic state of the farm system, particularly the position players it's borderline insane.

Every front office has it's wins and losses, so it's pointless to dwell on it..  but no amount of revisionist history will make the Grichuk inclusion a wise move.

I wonder what the comments about Grichuk would be if the Hamilton the Angels thought they were signing produced?

If my aunt had balls, she wouldn't be my aunt anymore.

Also, even if Hamilton was 2012 first half Hamilton for us we would still be starting Grichuk as our DH now if he were still here. Or we could have traded him for something far more valuable than we did.

An interesting article about our once beloved Peter Bourjos. As you probably know, he was claimed off waivers by the Phillies. The article talks about how much he sucked in St. Louis and never really took advantage of any chances he got.

I remember when he was a prospect and hearing folks rave about him, and me thinking that he was terribly overrated and wouldn't amount to much. But then he had an excellent 2010 in AAA and a surprising good first year with the big club in 2011, when it looked like he could become a borderline star. But then a combination of injuries and this guy happened. And then Peter was traded - and I, and most others, hated it. Now it is looking like Grichuk is the real loss and Peter is nothing to cry over.

Anyhow, it is really too bad. Peter reminded me of a post-2000 Darin Erstad - mediocre bat, but incredible defense and excellent speed. But that really was only one year. Oh well.

he should've been stealing 40+ bags a year. You would think that would be a guys primary focus with that kind of speed.

He's a better hitter and equal defensively compared to billy hamilton, but the SBs is the difference maker.

Edited by Poozy