• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

D-Backs jumped in on Grienke

HBMike

That's correct, but Arizona's top bracket rate for state income tax is 4.54%, much lower than California.  (Wait until there is a team in Nevada, that might be a much better draw for high ticket guys.)  I don't believe the city income tax in Phoenix, which depends exactly where you live is much to sneeze about.  I don't think it was an important factor in his decision, but it's kind of icing on the cake.  Probably gives him an extra $1-$2 million per year.  If you live and work in California, and you can't shelter much income you could end up giving back almost half of what you make to the government (federal and state) in taxes when you're in his bracket.  It's not as easy to shelter income as it used to be, but I'm sure his financial advisers will ferret out a few.

More than half...39.6% fed, 13.3% state.

I think grienke is over rated. He isn't a big game pitcher. He won't shut down great teams when it counts when he needs to be a dominant #1. He is what I call a great regular season pitcher who can't be dependent on leading the way to a championship

3-3 record with a career 3.55 ERA with 54 strikeouts and 9 walks in the postseason. 

Do you watch baseball or actually check your facts or do you just really enjoy trolling this much?

I guess Kershaw and Price aren't aces by your logic either. 

anyone else think this guy is just a whore chasing the money?

Money seems to be a high priority for Greinke but I wouldn't characterize him as a whore. He just wants to do his job and be paid. Let the other stuff take care of itself.

Who knows maybe Az competes but the goal of a season is to win the World Series, I hate the Dodgers but I have more faith they will do whatever it takes to win it all than I do Az. The other team rumored to be in on him was the Giants and they also have a great track record. So I guess what I'm saying is if I've already made my first $100 million I might settle for five years $170 million and increase my chances of being a champion.

Who knows maybe Az competes but the goal of a season is to win the World Series, I hate the Dodgers but I have more faith they will do whatever it takes to win it all than I do Az. The other team rumored to be in on him was the Giants and they also have a great track record. So I guess what I'm saying is if I've already made my first $100 million I might settle for five years $170 million and increase my chances of being a champion.

I dunno. They have had a shi##y bullpen for quite some time. :)

Greinke will never win a WS ring unless the Dbacks trade him after their in 4th place next year.

Well this is a point that I've mentioned in the past. For most professional athletes it's all about the money first. If championships were the priority they would be signing contracts with teams that offered less money that is surrounded by championship talent. Greinke is a great pitcher but he's also very greedy. Weaver is the polar opposite.

yep. at this point in his career, i'd think he'd want a championship a whole lot more. signing with arizona says he wants the money, not the ring. that to me smells of being a whore for the money.

I don't think anybody would walk away from 50 million. If the increase in salary was marginal like if the dodgs had offered 6/196 to the Dbacks' 6/206 then ok, but 50 million?? No matter how much money you've made you simply don't pass on that - if you "don't need it" there always the ability to make a change in the world by putting that to good use. So I think the whole "how much money can one need" argument is weak.

Plus , whose to say the diamondbacks won't be better than the dodgers or SF next year? They most likely aren't done this winter break. You don't just sign greinke and call it an off season. They have more holes and obviously have made a commitment to winning. There is rumors that they are in on Leake even after signing Greinke. I think they'll miss on him but pick up Chen/Gallardo. Make a bold trade with their excess OF/INF and prospects for a Salazar/Wheeler/Miller type.

Now you have a rotation of Greinke, Corbin, Salazar, Chen, Bradley/DeLaRosa along with one of the best offenses, defenses, and baserunning in the league.

Edit: of course, revamp their BP with 2/3 new arms via FA & trade

Edited by marcosantinia12