• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Turning Simmons defense into offense

bloodbrother

Good read

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/andrelton-simmons-trade-los-angeles-angels-atlanta-braves-defense-offense-hot-stove-111315

This says nothing about any potential Simmons offensive upside. He's shown power before, he doesn't strike out, and he's just 26. He could still develop more on that front, and last year he took a step forward in hitting the other way. Some people will point out that Simmons' defense will only decline, and they're right, but that decline is going to be gradual. And Omar Vizquel showed you can remain a quality defensive shortstop almost forever. You know who people just fell in love with last month? Alcides Escobar. Escobar is a worse offensive shortstop than Simmons, and Escobar is a worse defensive shortstop than Simmons. The Royals still love him. The Angels will love their guy.

In my opinion, the offensive risk with Simmons is that's he is coming from the National League to the American League, and from a non contending team to a contender.  He will not be as familiar with the pitching to start with, and he will feel more pressure to perform with a contender.  That could regress his hitting to some degree.  I totally support the notion that defense regresses very slowly as players age.  The much bigger risk is the offense, and injuries.  Here's a perfect example - Albert Pujols.

In my opinion, the offensive risk with Simmons is that's he is coming from the National League to the American League, and from a non contending team to a contender. He will not be as familiar with the pitching to start with, and he will feel more pressure to perform with a contender. That could regress his hitting to some degree. I totally support the notion that defense regresses very slowly as players age. The much bigger risk is the offense, and injuries. Here's a perfect example - Albert Pujols.

angels haven't won a playoff game since 09 , they aren't perennial contenders

agreed...the question is can he?

I think it's worth the risk to find out.  There are no guarantees in baseball, we could sign Heyward and he could regress to something that doesn't contribute.  I like this move because it does try a different approach.  I'm totally in agreement with Notti, lower orders hitter that are elite defenders can be very effective weapons if they strongly contribute to runs saved.

You guys do realize having this monster defensive SS wont mean jack shit if our 2B is completely inept defensively?  

Not to mention, how many amazing Simmons throws is Cron going to boot over there at 1st base?  Pujols going to DH hurts the team defensively.  

Let's construct the new team first, then worry where the weaknesses fall.  None of the current big five have been addressed yet (LF, 3B, 2B, Relief Pitching, Bench), mainly because the free agent market is still forming.  We probably have the capacity to make one more trade using our pitching assets. 

More than second base, I wonder how this trade changes the pursuit of Freeze, i.e. is it better to let Kubitza and Cowert compete for third because they are better defenders, and hope they can adjust to hitting in the bigs?  Not signing Freeze gives us a better chance of upgrading 2B financially.

The nice thing about Simmons being a defensive player is that it should help shore up the BP a little bit. If Simmons gets 25 more ours than Aybar would then that's 25 batters deeper our starters can go into games or more batters our top end relievers can go instead of having to go deeper into the pen.

The fact he conveniently left out is alcides Escobar makes less than a third of what Simmons does, salary wise

If only your statement was actually a fact.

Escobar is slated to make 5.250 Mil in 2016 -- Simmons, 6.0 Mil.   Escobar will make 6.25 Mil in 17, Simmons' 8 Mil.    Both players made 3.0 Mil in 2014.  But let's not let "facts" get in the way of your storytelling.  

Escobar won't play for free in 2018, 19 or 20 and that's the only way your statement would ring true.

Nice attempted spin though...  

Edited by Inside Pitch