• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade for Andrelton Simmons - Aybar, Newcomb, Ellis & $2.5mm to Braves $*#&

nate

What the serious F#@&   ?!?!?!?!?!!?
We gave up our top prospect in a move that made the offense worse?  plus gave Ellis to for what?  AND sent cash? 
We just got molested and paid for the process. 
We got fleeced.... Atl is laughing at us right now, this was horrific 

I dont hate Simmons but this is a terrible trade for us that address nothing we need and gave up our best possible chip... this is called hot stove season premature ejaculation  

No, we couldn't have. Brendan Ryan was worth negative value the last four years and even in his prime was not comparable to Simmons.

Ryan in his prime was worth about two wins a year and was the best SS in baseball.

Simmons in his prime now has been worth about 3 wins a year.

Not much of a difference to me.

While this was happening I was finishing up my Primer on Shortstop.... I feel like we will regret this trade in the long run. However Simmons certainly brings an elite defensive presence so we did improve for the next four years. But the cost of two young quality starting pitchers plus one year of Aybar was an expensive price to pay.

Bottom line now is Arte better spend big this offseason because he just sacrificed a big part of our future.

This is ridiculous.

The reaction to the trade, that is. 

I understand thinking the Angels overpaid, would've been better off using Newcomb to improve the offense, etc.... but I think many are underestimating Simmons. He isn't Jeff Mathis or Brendan Ryan with the bat.  He is more than slightly better than Aybar defensively.  

Now, the Angels should be set at SS for five years (or they have a SS with trade value if it comes to that).  Simmons won't be making that much... they'll probably spend to make other improvements. 

Well this sucks. I get out of a long day of meetings to this. I honestly don't know what to say. I truly can't believe that he could cost that much. I am not going crazy about the talent we got back, I think he is a generational defensive player entering the prime of his career, but man, we gave up a ton. I don't think our offense got worse, not when you factor in the decline of Aybar. Aybar has also lost a step or two at SS. When you guys watch Simmons play short you will understand that he is INCREDIBLY good.

What sucks is that no matter what he does, short of hitting .300 (which he isn't capable of) with 20 homers (probably not capable of), and multiple gold gloves, we will have to hear about how shitty the trade is for the next several years, regardless of how the other players pan out.

At least AO got his wish, we don't have to worry about a team winning long term with so many left handed pitchers.

Ryan in his prime was worth about two wins a year and was the best SS in baseball.

Simmons in his prime now has been worth about 3 wins a year.

Not much of a difference to me.

And Ryan is going to be 34 and hasn't had a positive WAR in 2 years. So signing him now would be exactly the same as trading for Simmons, obviously.