• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bernie Sanders Says He Has "Serious Problems" With Uber Because It's "Unregulated"

NrM

I think Uber has minimum insurance requirements and verifies its drivers' criminal and driving histories before approving them to drive.

The implications of this go way beyond Uber. You know all those semi-trucks driving around southern California, hauling containers? Many of them are independent contractors. As are many of the people who deliver for FedEx, Amazon, and others.

You have get specialized training to get a job driving trucks and other heavy vehicles

You have get specialized training to get a job driving trucks and other heavy vehicles

Same with cars. It is just that the training doesn't take as long.

And it doesn't seem like people care about regulating Uber because of the supposed safety concerns. After all, is Uber really less safe than a taxi? This is all about tax dollars and creating lawsuits that benefit plaintiffs' attorneys.

Actually, if you are rich enough and are able to buy the semi, and you pass the driving test.  You probably can drive it.

If you don't have your own semi, and pass the driving test.  Not sure any companies or rental places will let you rent/hire you to drive theirs.  

My buddy got a job driving one of those smaller food delivery trucks, not semi more like an oversized uhaul, and come to think of it, I don't even think he needed a different license or had any training driving trucks.  Although he did get fired for not doing his route fast enough.

And it wouldn't be a political thread without me pointing out that the reason these business models are under attack is the left. They want everyone to be classified as an employee and paid on an hourly basis with no ability to use their ambition and work ethic to get ahead. Look no further than Obama's National Labor Relations Board if you don't believe me.

I agree.  Their cars need to be painted in rainbow colors and only transgenders can drive them.  The drivers will not be paid a wage or salary but receive tax payer assistance vouchers to turn in after every fare. Nobody on the left has ever used their ambition and work ethic to get ahead other than those two gay mice who, coincidentally, are hell bent on taking over the world. 

I agree. Their cars need to be painted in rainbow colors and only transgenders can drive them. The drivers will not be paid a wage or salary but receive tax payer assistance vouchers to turn in after every fare. Nobody on the left has ever used their ambition and work ethic to get ahead other than those two gay mice who, coincidentally, are hell bent on taking over the world.

Eloquently put, but I wouldn't go so far as to make them paint their cars in a rainbow. They'd probably find a way to tax me even more in order to pay for those paint jobs.

Edited by wopphil

Also, why does the left think everyone who works a blue collar job is stupid and incapable of thinking for themselves? You hear the argument all the time: "we have to regulate because big bad corporations take advantage of (insert blue collar occupation)." The left seems to believe they are smarter and know what is best for everyone else.

If driving for Uber is so terrible, won't people just stop driving for Uber? Why can't the market dictate how this plays out? There are minimum wage laws that protect employees. If these Uber drivers aren't content with their pay, can't they go get a job as an employee earning at least minimum wage somewhere?

Edited by wopphil

Setting aside the unregulated and independent contractor vs. employee aspect of it uber, lyft and so on are the evolution of what cab companies could and should have become but they didn't because they weren't forced to since they basically monopolized the service they provided.  I equate cab companies or rather the industry as a whole to that of an inefficient government agency that got too big, output or service declines and they didn't keep up with the times.  Getting a cab in a big city is one thing but trying to get one in OC has been a joke at times in my experience.  Now you see in some cities the cab companies/unions/whoever are getting politicians involved (money) trying to ban these companies that have a much better product.  It sucks for the person who saved up enough to buy a medallion and is now a part of a struggling service but that's how business and capitalism work.  If someone else does it better and cheaper then you've got to adapt or you're done for.    

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

If someone else does it better and cheaper then you've got to adapt or you're done for.    

and that's been a very successful motivator in this country. competition is usually a very good thing, and often spurs innovation. it's been a hallmark of the american business model.

i don't know how it's considered fair competition between taxis and uber though. either regulate uber/lyft or deregulate taxis.

Think about how many lives uber/lyft has saved from decreasing the amount of drunk drivers.

I haven't seen the numbers, but i imagine it has been significant.

The left and right don't care about saving lives though, they only care about what fits their agenda.

Edited by Poozy

Think about how many lives uber/lyft has saved from decreasing the amount of drunk drivers.

The left and right don't care about saving lives though, they only care about what fits their agenda.

Thanks for bringing us some hard hitting facts that you simply made up, Senator Poozy. Edited by notti

If the death isn't a result of a gun, no one gives a s**t.