• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OBP guys and 2016 Potential Lineup

What do you guys think about investing into or trading for some higher obp guys?

Looking at rankings by team obp, the angels are 20th, with none of the teams bellow them being playoff teams with the exception of the Cardinals who had the most balanced SP & RP in the game.

I don't think we can do much about our SP, I think signing one of the big free agents will be a huge mistake especially considering the depth we have. I think we roll with what we have and hope for some guys to begin to step up (Richards back to last year's numbers, Heaney to keep 2015 up, Skaggs to be heathy and effective, possibly Newcomb joining the rotation, etc.)

Transaction ideas:

1. Sign Denard Span (.365 OBP / .355 in 2014, bigger sample)
I think this is by far the most priortized need for the club. Not only because he would fill the whole in LF, but because he would fill in  gap in the lineup and bring along a high on base rate aswell as speed and athleticism to a dull and slow team. Batting him leadoff would definately impact the lineup and create more opportunity for Trout, all while taking care of the LF problem. Keep Murphy and use him as a weapon off the bench.

2. Trade for a guy like Martin Prado (.338 OBP)
Again, Martin Prado offers a high OBP aswell as consistenly solid batting average. He can play thirdbase to replace Freese, or if we re-sign Freese, maybe he can play 2b with Gio as a backup.

3. Trade for a guy like David Peralta (.371 OBP)

I don't know what it would take to trade for someone for Peralta but I think that the Diamondbacks would be willing to listen due to our excess of young cost-controlled pitching, something that they need. I think maybe we have to throw in Cron and work a three team deal since they already have Goldy. This trade may sound like we are starting to clog the outfield but what if either him or Calhoun move to 1B and move Pujols to DH? They both have minor league experience playing 1B, and think it would be an easy transition. I would hate to waste defense for a move to first base but I am open for it so long as the lineup is improved which I really think this would do.

I think those 3 acquisitions of OBP guys immediately impact the offense and don't think would be super difficult to acquire. I think after that you invest big into RP. Like someone else in another thread said, maybe O'day and Clipard.

Potential 2016 Lineup:

1. Span LF
2. Peralta 1B/RF
3. Trout CF
4. Pujols DH
5. Calhoun 1B/RF
6. Prado 3B
7. Aybar SS
8. Perez C
9. Giavotella 2B

I think this lineup looks much more complete, and alot more inexpensive than a contract to one of the buy guys like Cespedes, Upton, Heyward, etc. It allows for 2 high OBP guys infront of Trout. You also move Calhoun to 5th which I think he could really be effective at, not to mention Albert benefiting by hitting between Trout and Calhoun. Then you have Prado, a consitent and disciplined hitter with solid avg batting 6th. We have to stay competitive, all while avoiding going over the luxury tax and not completely depleting our farm, I think this is a way we can go about it.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Probably one of the better offseason wish lists in a long time...  I'd pass on trying to get Peralta but Prado has hit everywhere he's gone and you're right, he milks walks...  he only has one year left on his contract too.  Span is likely going to be a lot less expensive than any of the front line LFers, he's had some success in the AL and is LH, so he may help address some of the lineup balance issues as well -- the question with him is how that hip is.   Both those moves wouldn't eat up a lot of payroll which IMO would greatly aid in obtaining the pitching this team needs...

Edited by Inside Pitch

A little tidbit on the Dback's crowded outfield situation (from MLBtraderumors.com):

The Diamondbacks‘ outfield situation is crowded, writes Yahoo’s Tim Brown, meaning the team might end up moving one of its corner options this winter. David Peralta, Ender Inciarte and Yasmany Tomas have all seen time in the corners this season, but despite Tomas’ shrinking role and disappointing second half, he’s likely to remain with the club. As Brown points out, Tomas reported to Spring Training out of shape this season, and the club will push him to arrive in much better physical condition next year. Manager Chip Hale told Brown to expect “a huge jump” in Tomas’ performance next season, adding, â€œNo. 1, he’s going to come back in a lot better shape.”

A little tidbit on the Dback's crowded outfield situation (from MLBtraderumors.com):

The Diamondbacks‘ outfield situation is crowded, writes Yahoo’s Tim Brown, meaning the team might end up moving one of its corner options this winter. David Peralta, Ender Inciarte and Yasmany Tomas have all seen time in the corners this season, but despite Tomas’ shrinking role and disappointing second half, he’s likely to remain with the club. As Brown points out, Tomas reported to Spring Training out of shape this season, and the club will push him to arrive in much better physical condition next year. Manager Chip Hale told Brown to expect “a huge jump” in Tomas’ performance next season, adding, “No. 1, he’s going to come back in a lot better shape.”

He's gonna lose 5 lbs in the offseason.

I like any of those scenarios. Also agree that a speedy LH hitting OBP type is needed somewhere in the line-up; moving Calhoun down would do wonders for the line-up length.

A solid multi-positional player like Prado, Zobrist, Holt, Solarte, Harrison, etc. is a MUST. We need someone who could cover LF, RF, and IF positions if anyone struggles or injures.

I think Zobrist and Prado to platoon at 3rd and 2nd and to be an insurance policy for cowart and kubitza and even giavotella woulda be a very smart investment.

And either could slide to LF, or back-up 1B if Pujols is hurtin'...really, any option like that offers up so much more roster and transaction flexibility.

Prado is a terrible idea. He's not leaving South Florida anyway.

Zobrist makes more sense as he can play the OF when needed.

Span makes me hesitate since he missed so much time last season. He's also a CF, not a corner OF. Does he or Trout move to LF?

I'd like to get a Peralta type but what would it cost? He's under club control for one more season and under arbitration for three more. Exactly the same as Kole Calhoun. 

Peralta and Zobrist makes sense.

You'd have a lineup like

RF Calhoun

2B/3B/OF Zobrist

CF Trout

LF Peralta

1B/DH Pujols 

DH/1B Cron

SS Aybar

C Perez / Bandy

3B Cowart / Kubitza

The bench would be a INF backup in Featherston, a corner infield guy, a 4th OF in Cowgill, and the backup C.

Since there aren't the best power options to go behind Trout and Pujols, I like the idea of stacking everyone up at the top of the lineup. Span's a terrific center fielder (mostly based on the eye test from when he played with Minnesota), lacks a great arm, but I'll take plus defense even if it means no cannon for an arm. He could make the outfield defense airtight. Zobrist or Prado would make me happy, I'd just like to see someone who can give us depth at second AND third who can hit atop the lineup. Prado can play left field too. I'd go. Flip Hector or Shoe for some positional player prospect depth.

1. Span LF

2. Prado or Zobrist 3B/2B/LF/RF/1B/DH

3. Trout CF

4. Calhoun RF

5. Pujols 1B/DH

6. Cron and Pujols will get the bulk of DH'ing, Zobrist or Prado can get some reps there.

7. Aybar SS

8. Perez C

9. Giavotella 2B

No way we have the resources to get Peralta from the Dbacks for what they're gonna want. I know they're excited about Brito, but it wouldn't surprise me to see another team outbid the Halos for Peralta. Use the rest of what's available cash wise to bulk up the pitching (curious to see what Cueto gets, bullpen needs an arm or two). Go heavy on OBP guys, find a power bat only if it makes sense.

The D'Backs had the worst production from 2B in the NL. Chris Owings can move back to SS platoon with Nick Ahmed until one of them hits.

I don't like Giavotella's defense, but on a team like the D'Backs he could do well. They need offense from that position. They have four OF and Goldschmidt entrenched at 1st, plus a solid prospect ready to contribute.

If they moved Peralta, they'd want to solidify their rotation or pen or both. They'd likely ask for Johnny G, Gott and Heaney. I'd counter with two solid arms and a prospect plus Johnny G.

Would any of you guys be open to giving up Cron for Peralta? I was thinking maybe a three way trade of Cron, Santiago, and Shoemaker (sweetener) for Peralta. Possibly another young arm?

Cron has no place on the DBacks with Goldschmidt - would need to be a three-team deal.

I've been a big proponent of Trout batting third in the lineup. I'm now open to the idea of Trout leading off again. He can utilize his speed at the top of the lineup more easily. Obviously he'll get more AB's which should produce more runs and possibly more rbi's.

What do you think?