• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Racist

Hollyw00d

Bud Norris: "However, if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don’t necessarily agree with.

“I understand you want to say it’s a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it’s been around.’’

Douchebag.

i don't think what he said is racist. perhaps it's rooted in racism, but i don't know the guy to judge that. i think this is culturalism, meaning my way of doing things is right and yours is wrong.

i'd say this has to do more with unwritten rules of mlb and "the right way of doing things" and probably nothing with race or creed. for my .02, i think all unwritten rules that govern what's acceptable or not are dumb.

Edited by ukyah

Bud Norris: "However, if you’re going to come into our country and make our American dollars, you need to respect a game that has been here for over a hundred years, and I think sometimes that can be misconstrued. There are some players that have antics, that have done things over the years that we don’t necessarily agree with.

“I understand you want to say it’s a cultural thing or an upbringing thing. But by the time you get to the big leagues, you better have a pretty good understanding of what this league is and how long it’s been around.’’

Douchebag.

He's a douchebag for thinking that new players to this league should respect the history and traditions of this game?  I have no problem with what he said.  When Americans go to other countries I think they should respect the history and traditions of those countries as well.  

He's a douchebag for thinking that new players to this league should respect the history and traditions of this game? I have no problem with what he said. When Americans go to other countries I think they should respect the history and traditions of those countries as well.

I think maybe he's a douchebag for saying that people from other countries don't respect "history and traditions" and also by implying that as a white American, he has some special knowledge or domain over those "history and traditions". It also ties back into the "hot blooded latin" meme that some people dispute.

I think maybe he's a douchebag for saying that people from other countries don't respect "history and traditions" and also by implying that as a white American, he has some special knowledge or domain over those "history and traditions". It also ties back into the "hot blooded latin" meme that some people dispute.

Would you think a Japanese player who didn't like the way some Americans played baseball when they went to Japan was a douchebag if he expressed a similiar sentiment?  Would he have a right to say so being that he was a Japanese player?  Or is it the white American thing that changes the calculus for you?  

I wouldn't have a problem with either scenario.  

Miami Vice was so much more than just entertainment.

It's true. I once had a conversation with the homosexual actor Jon Polito.  He was very proud of his role as El Gato in fifth season Miami Vice, where he played a bad ass gay drug lord. Polito went on and on how the episodes he was in was groundbreaking because homosexuality wasn't displayed like that in network tv then.  

Never mind that the Vice episode "Evan," one of my favorites, dealt with a character who had a death wish because he drove a cop to kill himself after outing him.

And of course, there are many other examples of the show being more than just entertainment.  The second season premiere still resonates today.  "Prodigal Son" deals with the machinations of corporate greed and how it controls so many things, and how Crockett and Tubbs are just cogs in the machine.

"You see money is a commodity. Those who have it can make more of it. And the American dollar is the best brand there is.  When America sneezes...the whole world catches a cold."