• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nets down the foul lines?

laagamer

Instead, you'd probably have enjoyed a game and even caught a foul ball as a trophy.  Sounds like a pretty good night to me. 

The only time in my life that I have ever gotten a ball at a game was at a AAA game in Oklahoma City. It was the next-to-last game at All Sports Stadium before the 89ers moved to the Bricktown Ballpark downtown. It was also the last year for the American Association. A player for the Iowa Cubs tossed a ball into the stands for a fan. The fan muffed it, it bounced on the steps and it landed practically in my lap.

I have taken my glove to games many times, when I knew that I would be sitting close enough for a ball to be hit into my section.

Absolutely.....why should a hockey goalie wear a mask if he knows the puck is coming? Every parent who sits with their child behind the dugout should be arrested for child endangerment. Base coaches wearing helmets? What for? It's safe out there!

Out of the million or so fans that come to the stadium a year, I'd say less than a dozen are hurt by foul balls. Putting nets down the baselines would be an overreaction.

Out of the million or so fans that come to the stadium a year, I'd say less than a dozen are hurt by foul balls. Putting nets down the baselines would be an overreaction.

The actual figure as of 2014 was estimated at about 1750 per year, including some very serious injuries. This article mentions a girl with a shattered skull, for instance. And this stat doesn't include injuries from bats that end up in the stands.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-09/baseball-caught-looking-as-fouls-injure-1750-fans-a-year

And according to this article, the players union actually REQUESTED netting as part of the contract negotiations in 2007 and 2012. The owners refused. If the PLAYERS are feeling strongly enough about this to request it collectively, perhaps the MLB owners need to listen to them.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-fenway-park-mlb-broken-bat-injured-fan-safety-netting-060715

Edited by AngelsSurfer

We've had this thread before. I'm in the put nets up crowd. Scotty it's an absolute joke to say put your phone down and you'll be fine. The last game I went to a foul ball went into the stand just past the dugout, by the camera well. I sit in the 200 section pretty close to there. As soon as the ball went into the stands you could tell it got someone. People in the area stood up and were waving their arms for the usher to get the paramedics. Next thing you know a towel gets tossed in the stand from with the camera well or the visitors dugout, a second later another towel. Paramedics shows up and a few minutes later paramedics are assisting two women, who got hit, I assume one off the deflection. Both bleeding from the face and one looked like she was going to go into shock. Putting nets down the lines is an absolute no brainer to me. For those in the no net camp, there's nothing I will say to change your mind, but it's an absolute safety issue with or without the distraction issue. I'm seriously shocked we haven't seen someone get killed from a foul ball.

We've had this thread before. I'm in the put nets up crowd. Scotty it's an absolute joke to say put your phone down and you'll be fine. The last game I went to a foul ball went into the stand just past the dugout, by the camera well. I sit in the 200 section pretty close to there. As soon as the ball went into the stands you could tell it got someone. People in the area stood up and were waving their arms for the usher to get the paramedics. Next thing you know a towel gets tossed in the stand from with the camera well or the visitors dugout, a second later another towel. Paramedics shows up and a few minutes later paramedics are assisting two women, who got hit, I assume one off the deflection. Both bleeding from the face and one looked like she was going to go into shock. Putting nets down the lines is an absolute no brainer to me. For those in the no net camp, there's nothing I will say to change your mind, but it's an absolute safety issue with or without the distraction issue. I'm seriously shocked we haven't seen someone get killed from a foul ball.

Your last sentence says it all.

How many games a year? 4,000? How many years has baseball been around? Even with the 154 game schedule before this, we are looking at about 400,000 games and about 250-300 pitches or more per game. You've had 120 million pitched balls, and not one person has been killed.

Quit overreacting. Shit happens everywhere. If you sat on a random street corner every day, chances are some car would come careening into you.

You had a better chance of getting killed by falling concrete in Wrigley, heat stroke in Texas, and getting hit by obnoxiously bad breath at Fenway.

I never understood why Nascar has fences around the track? Hell, what's the point of having a center divider on the freeway if you already know what's going to happen.

What I meant is you know the nets are going to happen. What's the point of wasting good smarmy sarcasm on someone who agrees with you?

The actual figure as of 2014 was estimated at about 1750 per year, including some very serious injuries. This article mentions a girl with a shattered skull, for instance. And this stat doesn't include injuries from bats that end up in the stands.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-09/baseball-caught-looking-as-fouls-injure-1750-fans-a-year

And according to this article, the players union actually REQUESTED netting as part of the contract negotiations in 2007 and 2012. The owners refused. If the PLAYERS are feeling strongly enough about this to request it collectively, perhaps the MLB owners need to listen to them.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-fenway-park-mlb-broken-bat-injured-fan-safety-netting-060715

The players get paid whether there are screens or not. They want to keep raking in the coin.

The owners don't want to see the drop in attendance.

Is baseball become a zoo, where the game and players are sequestered from the fans. Please. We live in such a pussy society.

How many millions attend games each year?

It's like adding a traffic signal even though the warning signs are already there it usually takes a death to make the necessary changes.

Yep. There's a reason the people you come to see play where helmets oh and they don't take off the helmets when they get on base.

When will they demand that the pitcher wear a helmet with face mask to protect them. To me, every pitcher that takes the mound is in more danger than I am sitting in the stands.

Yes. He's also a professional athlete. The people in the stands are your average person that probably doesn't have a reaction time anywhere near what a pitcher does.

Yes. He's also a professional athlete. The people in the stands are your average person that probably doesn't have a reaction time anywhere near what a pitcher does.

Fans in the stands have time to get out of the way. The pitcher is just ~50ft away when releasing the ball, significantly closer to the action, literally no chance to get out of the way from some line drives.

Fans in the stands have time to get out of the way. The pitcher is just ~50ft away when releasing the ball, significantly closer to the action, literally no chance to get out of the way from some line drives.

Ok so the person sitting directly in front of you gets out of the way, you're going to be able to get out of the way after they don't wear it?

How many millions attend games each year?

If you read the article you'd know that. There's probably a 23 in a million chance of being hurt in a plane crash, too. Does that mean we don't equip planes with safety measures?

The bottom line is that this is something the players want. No, the average fan sitting in a crowded section does NOT have the reflexes or time to get out of the way of a ball going approximately 130 mph. If they did, we wouldn't have 1750 injuries a year, and these players don't want a fans' death or massive head injury on their hands. It's time to listen to them.