• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OPS

m0nkey

What's up with people' s fascination with this stat? I get it can be useful, but is it the best number to look at? I really don't know, which is why I'm asking

nah, but it's easy to understand and better than your standard accumulative stats.

Edited by Poozy

What's up with people' s fascination with this stat? I get it can be useful, but is it the best number to look at? I really don't know, which is why I'm asking

basically some math nerd analyzed all the stats in baseball, and determined that:

1. runs are the most important stat. the more you score, the higher probability you have to win.

2. OPS has the highest correlation to the probability to produce runs, and thus wins. its just the combination of two statistics (on base percentage and slugging average). it's important (ie more valuable) because it doesn't ignore important stuff like walks (which have also been determined to have correlation with runs, and thus wins).

Edited by mrwicked

Getting on base and hitting the ball hard are considered the two biggest components to scoring runs.  So, a stat that combines OBP and SLG is attempting to zero in on those two things.   OPS+ is better because its weighted.   OPS is probably as popular as it is because it's pretty easy to calculate.

The two players would have identical OPS.  The acronym literally stands for OBP (on base percentage) Plus Slugging (percentage).

They'd both be .850

As far as who's better, they'd be similar but not necessarilly exactly equal, other things could be considered (what do the rest of the team look like - if you got a lot of sluggers, maybe you'd rather have this guy be an on-base guy).  OPS is a good stat, but it's a quick-and-dirty method of comparing players only.  Don't get obsessed by an 0.003 difference between a couple players as being definitive proof of who's better.

Baseball is about, "Which team advanced 4 bases before making 3 outs first?"

The ability to advance bases is expressed pretty well by SLG(=bases per AB), and not making outs is expressed almost perfectly by OBP(You either make an out or get on base every PA).

It has its holes, such as its inconsistency in putting productive outs into perspective, but it does a good job while being easy to understand and calculate.

Had to check the date to make sure this wasn't a bump from 2004... then I remembered that this board didn't exist in 2004...

Fans in Japan still don't get it. All they talk about is BA and hits, and glorify free swinging singles hitters. Walks and XBH are still widely ignored and it drives me nuts.