• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

James Holmes sentenced to life in prison

If you execute him, he doesn't have to spend the next several decades staring at unpainted concrete everywhere, look out his window at the fences and razor wire, or deal with a mind-numbing sameness to life for that same amount of time.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I have to wonder about the "Death Penalty isn't a deterrent" reasoning. Do we know if life in prison is a deterrent?

This guy was caught red handed. There is no question that he pulled the trigger. If anyone deserves the Death Penalty it is him. As to his mental state what the heck does that have to do with it?

Lethal injection, hanging and a seat in the electric chair is what he deserves.

Edited by Slegnaac

I'm not a big fan of the death penalty, for financial reasons as much as anything else. The mandatory appeals are insanely expensive, they take years to complete, and I have yet to see any evidence that they serve as a deterrent to anything.

A death penalty conviction for older criminals is largely symbolic because of the appeals process which takes decades to resolve, as you mentioned. 

So just as a practical matter, what's the difference between life in prison and sentenced to death if the defendant is, say, 50 years old?  That guy or gal is more likely to die from natural causes (i.e. old age) than capital punishment.

James Holmes is young enough that he probably would have been executed at some point, but you never know.  I have a feeling that a death sentence would have been overturned by reason of insanity anyway.

The appeals process is the problem. It should not take more than a few years, tops.

exactly

You guys would be suprised how many really really bad guys try and get a death sentance when theyre doing life, or "all day". They know theyre gonna get years of appeals, and desth row is a qay, way nice facility than the main yards

Single cell, your own TV etc...

I'm not a big fan of the death penalty, for financial reasons as much as anything else. The mandatory appeals are insanely expensive, they take years to complete, and I have yet to see any evidence that they serve as a deterrent to anything.

It's a deterrent to the murderer

I have a feeling that a death sentence would have been overturned by reason of insanity anyway.

This may have been part of the thinking during the sentencing phase. The judge may have been thinking that rather than risk having to go through a retrial, just impose something that would be much more difficult to appeal.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Death penalty is something I kind of don't have a real stance for or against. I suppose I can see, and agree, with both sides of the argument. I don't think it deters anyone from committing murder so it's pointless in that respect. I think it's there as retribution for the victim's family. If somebody murdered my wife or daughter I may be more inclined to support the death penalty. If it was outlawed I really wouldn't care all too much either.