• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teacher resigns after reading students book about gay couple

Tell me more about gay people converting to straight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010509/aponline013921_000.htm

They exist. Get over it. Do you think children should know about this and that teachers should read them stories about gay people who have turned straight?

It wouldn't be an agenda. It would be more of an awareness campaign. 

I know, Dad's Falcon was an automatic with a straight six. Boring as hell. He traded it in for a '66 Mercury Colony Park station wagon that had a 411Mercury Maurader V-8 with the 4 barrel carb towing package. It still had vinyl seats.

That is awful.  My uncle also has a white 69 Corvette that was the last one made that year.  Three Rancheros (project car and two parts cars) and a 1951 Ford F1 hot rod with a 5L blown mustang engine in it.  He and his friends did all the restoration and modification on the cars.  Needless to say I always loved going to their place for the holidays.  So much awesome shit.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010509/aponline013921_000.htm

They exist. Get over it. Do you think children should know about this and that teachers should read them stories about gay people who have turned straight?

It wouldn't be an agenda. It would be more of an awareness campaign.

Wow. One study from over a decade ago, with tenuous conclusions. I suppose it is possible, but about as likely as spotting a unicorn.

It's perfectly okay to not like gay sex. I'm not a fan of it myself. However, when you start trying to convert gays or discriminate against them, that's a problem. As you suggested, one needs to get over it.

This is the corollary to the professor who got fired for saying a joke about the differences in sexes. I would LOVE to know who thought that firing was OK and this one wasn't.  

The teacher chose to resign along with the principle. Neither were fired.

Wow. One study from over a decade ago, with tenuous conclusions. I suppose it is possible, but about as likely as spotting a unicorn.

It's perfectly okay to not like gay sex. I'm not a fan of it myself. However, when you start trying to convert gays or discriminate against them, that's a problem. As you suggested, one needs to get over it.

What about Anne Heche and the "gay until graduation" phenomenon. There are many people who claim to have re-oriented their sexual desire to some degree. 

Edited by Juan Savage

I have a way to handle this so that most people except those with an agenda are happy. 

What was the problem? Teasing. The most common teasing problem in school is against fat kids. Is the way to deal with this situation reading a book about how great it is to be fat or "famous fat people?"

The teacher should have just told kids that teasing isn't allowed. You don't have to take sides in a moral debate. 

Edited by Juan Savage

What about Anne Heche and the "gay until graduation" phenomenon. There are many people who claim to have re-oriented their sexual desire somewhat.

Somewhat. In yor prior post that qualifier was notably absent. People who are bisexual or experimenting don't count as homosexual.

Would you prohibit books by ex-gays? If they did read from those, would you just "get over it?"

Somewhat. In yor prior post that qualifier was notably absent. People who are bisexual or experimenting don't count as homosexual.

Thank you. A fair statement. Fine. This is a long, unpleasant conversation that I've had before and don't want to repeat it. 

As always, I'll get to the point.

If you think that the only proper sex is that which serves a reproductive purpose, as many do, then you don't want your school to endorse another kind, lest kids do the experimenting you mentioned or think that all methods of gratification are equal (thus serving no higher purpose, but gratification). 

If you think all forms of sexual gratification are equal (I'll leave coerced or non-consensual sex aside), then you don't mind this. 

If you hate the first group or think that society will progress from thinking the latter, then you want to push this belief to eliminate the former. 

Edited by Juan Savage

Using adult techniques for handling the issue of sexual identity bias is not applicable to 9 year olds. The teacher targeted an audience too young for the subject matter according to public standards of the community. At age 25 it is reasonable to think that this is simply a mistake caused by a lack of experience in the field and not a clear understanding of curriculum boundaries. Hopefully this teacher will keep that in mind for his next assignment.

Thank you. A fair statement. Fine. This is a long, unpleasant conversation that I've had before and don't want to repeat it.

As always, I'll get to the point.

If you think that the only proper sex is that which serves a reproductive purpose, as many do, then you don't want your school to endorse another kind, lest kids do the experimenting you mentioned or think that all methods of gratification are equal (thus serving no higher purpose, but gratification).

If you think all forms of sexual gratification are equal (I'll leave coerced or non-consensual sex aside), then you don't mind this.

If you hate the first group or think that society will progress from thinking the latter, then you want to push this belief to eliminate the former.

You make a lot of bizarre assumptions and seem to live in a world of absolutes that don't jibe with real life. Everything is either/or with you.

There are so many things I want to write on this statement

Ecxept he didn't force anything.

He didn't get approval to expose 9 years to concepts of adult subject matters using resources that were not part of the curriculum. The students had no choice other than listen to the story that didn't meet community standards. That would be forcing the issue.

Again, it could have been simply not enough experience in the education field to understand boundaries.

You make a lot of bizarre assumptions and seem to live in a world of absolutes that don't jibe with real life. Everything is either/or with you.

I gave three choices. There may be exceptions. There may be people who think gay sex is immoral, but want it taught to kids or who think thinking gay sex is immoral is bad, but who don't want it taught to kids anyways. There may be people who think that all sex is equal is the way forward, but who nonetheless don't want to teach it in school. 

He didn't get approval to expose 9 years to concepts of adult subject matters using resources that were not part of the curriculum. The students had no choice other than listen to the story that didn't meet community standards. That would be forcing the issue.

Again, it could have been simply not enough experience in the education field to understand boundaries.

I disagree. An incident occurred and he read a book that directly related to the issue at hand. No one is saying there weren't other ways to handle the situation. I agree that if he's faced with a similar situation down the road, he'll think twice because clearly we as a society aren't tolerant enough of sexual orientation in this day in age.

I disagree. An incident occurred and he read a book that directly related to the issue at hand. No one is saying there weren't other ways to handle the situation. I agree that if he's faced with a similar situation down the road, he'll think twice because clearly we as a society aren't tolerant enough of sexual orientation in this day in age.

The issue was that the other kids were teasing the boy. Shouldn't the book have been about teasing people? 

i think the appropriate response is to pull the student who used the slur and have a serious talk with him about what he said and why it's not okay.

if it's a widespread problem with several kids in the class, then you look to have a class solution, like some kind of sensitivity lesson or about bullying in different forms. and by all means, make sure your administrator and your parents are on board with something like that.

reading a book about two gay princes falling in love simply because one kid in your class called another kid gay seems a bit heavy-handed.

This is what would probably happen in my district.  It's called common sense.