• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Teacher resigns after reading students book about gay couple

So as long as you agree with it then it is ok for teacher's to push personal agendas upon third grade students?

Look, I don't like the idea of people losing their jobs over this.  Seems like it didn't need to happen, but I also don't think that personal agendas have any place in elementary schools.

I don't think it had to do with an agenda rather he was trying to use it as a teachable moment.  If this had been about race (i.e. racial slur used by a student) instead of sexuality how angry would the parents be if the teacher read a book about a mixed culture family?  To be honest though reading something like that to 9  year old children who aren't yours isn't likely to go over well with at least a few parents.    

I don't think it had to do with an agenda rather he was trying to use it as a teachable moment. If this had been about race (i.e. racial slur used by a student) instead of sexuality how angry would the parents be if the teacher read a book about a mixed culture family? To be honest though reading something like that to 9 year old children who aren't yours isn't likely to go over well with at least a few parents.

Yeah, the ones telling him he's going to burn in hell didn't seem too pleased.

I don't think it had to do with an agenda rather he was trying to use it as a teachable moment.  If this had been about race (i.e. racial slur used by a student) instead of sexuality how angry would the parents be if the teacher read a book about a mixed culture family?  To be honest though reading something like that to 9  year old children who aren't yours isn't likely to go over well with at least a few parents.

Of course and while I don't share their opinion he had to know some parents being unhappy or flat out pissed off was the likely outcome.  There were other ways he could have addressed the issue that didn't involve reading the book he chose that would have been less divisive.

well said

Of course and while I don't share their opinion he had to know some parents being unhappy or flat out pissed off was the likely outcome. There were other ways he could have addressed the issue that didn't involve reading the book he chose that would have been less divisive.

Oh I agree, which is why I said it sucks we're not ready for this. We'll get to a point in time to where jobs aren't lost over this.

Edited by InsideThePark

Probably half of the old novels they read in school reference god and Jesus.  If the teachers are Christian then they are just pushing their agenda too, right?

Turn the scenario.  What if a teacher read from the Bible or other religious book in response to something that happened in the classroom?

The Christian oppression complex really is spectacular.

They can do it as long as the preface the bible as fiction.  I am fine with them explaining religious persecution, but using the bible is not how you do that.  Using history books and first hand accounts is how you do it.