• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Collin Cowgill, CJ Cron, Pujols, Trout...and Calhoun too

Spring training, in my opinion, is completely relevant and indicative of how a player will probably perform in the regular season. Regardless of how you might interpret spring stats, it's fun to analyze each player's performance.

I honestly think Cowgill is one of the most important pieces on the team. He's always been a favorite of mine, but he's had a killer spring–the guy hits, gets on base, scores runs, and plays stellar defense. But he's one of the many promising 

-CJ Cron is the real deal, and he's emerged as an eminent power hitter for the Angels. It's safe to say that most of us didn't expect much from Cron, but seeing him hit with confidence has given me tremendous hope for this offense. He could be the piece that saves this team from losing Kendrick and Hamilton. No matter what, he's given us a glimpse of his true potential–he's not an inferior version of Trumbo. 

-Pujols' Spring has also been a huge surprise. He's putting up monster numbers compared to previous springs. One of my biggest wishes for the Angels is to see Pujols return to his former glory days; I know that won't ever happen, but I also expect him to be the most integral part of this team

-Trout still manages to impress and improve. He knew his weaknesses entering 2015, and I think he'll have his best season yet. 

-Calhoun is one of the most underrated players in baseball. I'm eager to see how he performs this season. 

The Angels never get the credit they deserve as they manage to overcome every setback they endure: 2014 is a perfect example of how this team never gives up. With so many question marks surrounding the Angels, I remain optimistic in their perseverance and ability to silence the naysayers. 

Edited by failos

Except Pujols is not having a monster spring compared to past years. He's hit very well every spring since being an Angel. Otherwise, good stuff.

True, but I think he looks different this time around. It's almost like Pujols has returned to form based on how he's been swinging the ball.

I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers but instead what the players are actually doing.

For example, it doesn't matter that Cron is hitting .400, what really matters is that he's working counts, making contact and using the whole field.

I like that Trout hasn't been chasing the high ones and is being more aggressive earlier in the count.

Small things like that which don't show up in the box score. It's usually how I try to model my assessments of prospects as well.

Hitters generally look much better in spring. Partly because they're going up against minor league talent, and also because the established guys are going 75% at the most and/or experimenting with new pitches and mechanics.

There's a reason why Kendrick always looked like a hall of fame in spring and just merely good in the regular season. There's also a reason why pujols looks "vintage" in march and old in july

Hitters generally look much better in spring. Partly because they're going up against minor league talent, and also because the established guys are going 75% at the most and/or experimenting with new pitches and mechanics.

There's a reason why Kendrick always looked like a hall of fame in spring and just merely good in the regular season. There's also a reason why pujols looks "vintage" in march and old in july

And they are fresh. Pretty sure the long season takes a toll on their bodies.

Edited by KevinJ14

I agree with the OP in every way.  You have to give Giavotella credit for stepping up in a 4 way competition at 2B as well.  I had him 3rd or 4th out of that group but I think he won the spot.  He's not Howie, but..

The other bright spot I saw was DiSarcina maturing.  He lost games for us last year.  If we can run ahead of Pujols and prevent some GIDP's, along with making good decisions running the bases, it could be worth 5 or 6 extra wins.  That and keeping Hamilton out of the stadium may give us another 2 or 3.  Enough to keep competing in an even tougher AL West.

Spring training, in my opinion, is completely relevant and indicative of how a player will probably perform in the regular season. Regardless of how you might interpret spring stats, it's fun to analyze each player's performance.

I honestly think Cowgill is one of the most important pieces on the team. He's always been a favorite of mine, but he's had a killer spring–the guy hits, gets on base, scores runs, and plays stellar defense. But he's one of the many promising 

-CJ Cron is the real deal, and he's emerged as an eminent power hitter for the Angels. It's safe to say that most of us didn't expect much from Cron, but seeing him hit with confidence has given me tremendous hope for this offense. He could be the piece that saves this team from losing Kendrick and Hamilton. No matter what, he's given us a glimpse of his true potential–he's not an inferior version of Trumbo. 

-Pujols' Spring has also been a huge surprise. He's putting up monster numbers compared to previous springs. One of my biggest wishes for the Angels is to see Pujols return to his former glory days; I know that won't ever happen, but I also expect him to be the most integral part of this team

-Trout still manages to impress and improve. He knew his weaknesses entering 2015, and I think he'll have his best season yet. 

-Calhoun is one of the most underrated players in baseball. I'm eager to see how he performs this season. 

The Angels never get the credit they deserve as they manage to overcome every setback they endure: 2014 is a perfect example of how this team never gives up. With so many question marks surrounding the Angels, I remain optimistic in their perseverance and ability to silence the naysayers. 

please see Pujols' spring statistics three  years ago and tell me if they are indicative to how they will perform during the season.

Hopefully Cron keeps mashing so he can eventually become the #4 or #5 hitter at some point this season. Perhaps he already hits there when they face LHP...

I was going to remark how I'm pretty meh overall on Joyce/Freese being their #4/#5 hitters but then I remembered that they plugged Hamilton in those spots last season. It's an upgrade for sure over that

Edited by bloodbrother