• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

*Hoax: Michele Bachmann's husband refused service in Indiana

I would love to see this get all the way to SCOTUS.  I just think any laws like that are redundant.

A privately owned company should have the ability to choose who its customers are.  Then let the results be the judge.  If people want to be douchebags then I'm guessing they will eventually go out of business.

I'm pretty sure there are small towns in rural America that if they refused service to let's say blacks then their businesses would do just fine yet discrimination would still be allowed to exist.

That's the thing. If the group being discriminated against is a small enough portion of the population, the argument that economics will put bigots out of business doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure there are small towns in rural America that if they refused service to let's say blacks then their businesses would do just fine yet discrimination would still be allowed to exist.

So if people really want to embrace their douchebaggery, they have to move way out into rural America?

OK

That's the thing. If the group being discriminated against is a small enough portion of the population, the argument that economics will put bigots out of business doesn't work.

What group is that small?  

It doesn't really matter, none of those things should take priority over the right of someone to do what they wish on their own property.

I have a mixed opinion on this. I don't agree with the idea of one person telling another what they can and can't do. Because of that I support the right of businesses and individuals to decide, using their own criteria, who they wish to associate and conduct business with.

On the other hand I recognize that society can't be so free and void of boundaries. There are plenty of things that I wish didn't happen but understand must happen in order for society to be even somewhat functional. And the idea that "in this day and age" prejudice like that couldn't happen is absolute nonsense. That type of prejudice has always existed in humans. From the very beginning. There have always been minorities struggling to exist due to negative pressure being put on them. It is silly to think that we as humans are past that. Maybe we don't hate Asians or blacks or the Irish or gays anymore. But there will always be a group. It's inevitable.

The question for me becomes: recognizing that society MUST contain at least some rules to function, what rules are to be included among that set? Does the right to choose who business is conducted with lower societies' functionality? And if it does then is the right of a business or individual to choose who they conduct business with to be valued more than an increasingly functional society? What do we need to consider when creating the rules our society uses to function?

TL;DR: I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Edited by HaloMagic