• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney will be a 5th starter at best.

rafibomb

That's funny, brcause neither Shoemaker, Santiago or CJ Wilson have a "plus" pitch as defined by extreme traditionalist scouts, yet they've been in a major league rotation and have all been considerably better than 5 starters for the most part.

Watching Heaney, I could see why he'd give LHB fits. I also think that as long as he can keep the ball low and on the corners he'll be VERY successful.

When I think of LHP that's a fifth starter, I picture Joe Saunders. Heaney throws harder, offers more deception and has a better breaking ball than Saunders. Also one of Heaney's selling points which was Saunders' too is their ability to throw strikes.

When you put it all together, Heaney looks like a very solid mid-rotation starter, which when combined with Skaggs and Newcomb is going to give the Angels a formidable group of LH starters.

Was this the same scout who said that Trumbo would never make it in the Majors? The same scout who said that Richards would never make it? That Weaver didn't have the velocity to be a top of the order pitcher?

The opinion of just one scout isn't enough to cause concern--there are so many out there that you can find just about any opinion that you want.

So...ONE scout says that he's a number 5 at best. So that makes him nothing more than a number 5 at best?

You'll probably find one scout who didn't think Trout was much of a player. Scouts have varied opinions based on individual biases. That's why there is more than one scout.

Well it would explain why he was traded twice in an hour - no one seemed to really want him but the Angels.

That said...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! To be honest, I kind of feel that Heaney is a bit overrated and is more of a future #3 than a #2, but this is ridiculous.

I figured between a #3 and #4, but yeah #5 seems a bit harsh in the long run. 

I figured that with the lack of workload and the slight of build, that he was good for at most 175 innings in 2015 anyway.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Was this the same scout who said that Trumbo would never make it in the Majors? The same scout who said that Richards would never make it? That Weaver didn't have the velocity to be a top of the order pitcher?

The opinion of just one scout isn't enough to cause concern--there are so many out there that you can find just about any opinion that you want.

And how many missed on Shoemaker?

From Baseball America (2009)

mtrout09267300ab.jpg

25. LOS ANGELES ANGELS MIKE TROUT, OF Scouting Report: Trout has turned himself into a favorite of scouts in the Northeast, both for his talent and his makeup. An East Carolina commitment, he has rocketed up draft boards as a senior, thanks to an improved offensive approach. Last year, even in the fall, he had a tendency to bail out in the batter's box, particularly against sliders. This spring he has quieted his approach and improved against breaking balls, and he's shown the ability to hit hard line drives to all fields, though his swing still gets loopy and long at times. Halfway through the spring, Trout even began working on hitting lefthanded, and he showed some aptitude for it. Trout's frame and skill set draws comparisons to Aaron Rowand, but he's a faster runner—he runs the 60-yard dash in 6.5 seconds. He has good range and instincts in center field and plenty of arm for the position. Trout's bat is not a sure thing, but he has a chance to be a solid-average hitter with average or better power. Like Rowand, Trout is a grinder who always plays the game hard.

mtrout09267300ab.jpg

25. LOS ANGELES ANGELS MIKE TROUT, OF Scouting Report: Trout has turned himself into a favorite of scouts in the Northeast, both for his talent and his makeup. An East Carolina commitment, he has rocketed up draft boards as a senior, thanks to an improved offensive approach. Last year, even in the fall, he had a tendency to bail out in the batter's box, particularly against sliders. This spring he has quieted his approach and improved against breaking balls, and he's shown the ability to hit hard line drives to all fields, though his swing still gets loopy and long at times. Halfway through the spring, Trout even began working on hitting lefthanded, and he showed some aptitude for it. Trout's frame and skill set draws comparisons to Aaron Rowand, but he's a faster runner—he runs the 60-yard dash in 6.5 seconds. He has good range and instincts in center field and plenty of arm for the position. Trout's bat is not a sure thing, but he has a chance to be a solid-average hitter with average or better power. Like Rowand, Trout is a grinder who always plays the game hard.

Seemed pretty fair to me

One of my favorite scouting assessments gone wrong is this one from 2003 by John Sickels, who I really like:

"Joe Mauer is universally regarded as the best catching prospect in baseball. But Angels farmhand Jeff Mathis isn't far behind."

Ouch. Everyone has their mistakes. I thought Mike Colangelo would be a .300-hitting player for the Angels and that Casey Kotchman would regularly hit .300+ with 25 HR. Ouch.

mtrout09267300ab.jpg

Hitting left handed????

To be fair ... Heaney was scouted by many teams including the Dodgers. I think most teams looked at him as a back of the rotation starter. He may fool them all!

'

Back of the end starter for this season, not overall or upside.