• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mitch Williams is an idiot, but...

He brought up a very good point about Jepsen on MLB Network. 

He said Jepsen continues to throw the same speeds in the same location on every fastball (down in the zone).  He never changes the eye level of the hitter and never goes up the ladder. 

That and Jepsen sucks, but interesting food for thought.

He brought up a very good point about Jepsen on MLB Network. 

He said Jepsen continues to throw the same speeds in the same location on every fastball (down in the zone).  He never changes the eye level of the hitter and never goes up the ladder. 

That and Jepsen sucks, but interesting food for thought.

Fire Butcher. Way overdue.

I'm trying to break down the logic. Jepsen sucks, but fire someone else? OK, got it.

What is the pitching coach's job? Spotting mechanical flaws, put pitchers in best position to succeed, make sure they aren't being predictable or tipping pitches, help them understand why they are sucking as badly? Just a few.

I'm just curious what a guy like Dave Duncan or Don Cooper could do for this rotation/pen.

Just who has Butcher gotten fixed, and STAYED that way? Butcher SUCKS!

I'm not a big "fire the staff" kind of guy, but at some point, if a coach is truly valuable, he fixes something, sometime. It seems that whenever we have a pitcher who has an issue it stays that way. Case in point: Every hitter in the American League, and probably 90 percent of the users on this board, knew that Ernesto Frieri was telegraphing his pitches in the second half of the season last year. There was a documented conversation between Rangers hitters standing around the batting cage pre-game talking about it. Yet our beloved pitching coach...fixed nothing, seemed oblivious to it.

It seems that for the most part, Scioscia surrounds himself with guys who he likes rather than guys who get results. Little else could explain the incredible longevity of Mickey Hatcher (until the GM finally got fed up with it). Nice guy, funny, great in the clubhouse, but no help to our hitters.

I'm not a big "fire the staff" kind of guy, but at some point, if a coach is truly valuable, he fixes something, sometime. It seems that whenever we have a pitcher who has an issue it stays that way. Case in point: Every hitter in the American League, and probably 90 percent of the users on this board, knew that Ernesto Frieri was telegraphing his pitches in the second half of the season last year. There was a documented conversation between Rangers hitters standing around the batting cage pre-game talking about it. Yet our beloved pitching coach...fixed nothing, seemed oblivious to it.

It seems that for the most part, Scioscia surrounds himself with guys who he likes rather than guys who get results. Little else could explain the incredible longevity of Mickey Hatcher (until the GM finally got fed up with it). Nice guy, funny, great in the clubhouse, but no help to our hitters.

Well said.

Little else could explain the incredible longevity of Mickey Hatcher (until the GM finally got fed up with it). Nice guy, funny, great in the clubhouse, but no help to our hitters.

Oh really? Then how come at least one current player used Hatcher as a private hitting coach this past offseason?

Williams actually had two good points tonight (I know, one is hard enough to believe).

He pointed out that someone with Jepsen's velocity should be able to work hitters up the ladder, and give them some high, stinking, filthy cheese that they can't catch up to.

He also pointed out that Howie is (the only one) succeeding with RISP because he's not up there trying to hit a home run every time.

I'm seeing a new approach in Howie, he seems to be shortening up his swing and taking what the pitchers are giving him. He went down and hit a low curve for that double tonight.

Mitch is good for some head-bobbin', irate chatter about player's personalities, but I don't think he's counted on for having an actual valid analysis (like Plesac).

But the best part was Amsinger (whose even more idiotic) egging on Mitch with how many times he hit batters and threw at their heads. Mitch exploded and I would've pay-per-viewed to see those two off-camera afterwards.