• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bleacher Report names Pujols #1 in Top 100 Players of the 21st Century

Isn't Bleacher Report just a community blog?

Anyhow, it is an easy call because Albert has a huge lead in WAR from 2001-14; here's the top ten:

90.5 Pujols

76.0 A Rod

66.6 Halladay

63.3 Beltre

61.7 Sabathia

60.5 Miggy

59.2 Utley

58.3 Beltran

55.3 Ichiro

53.8 Bonds

Pujols was great, but this is partially due to the fact that he simply played a lot of the 21st century. His rookie year was 2001, so he's got the benefit of 14 years. Mark Buehrle is third on the list of pitchers, so that tells you something about picking an arbitrary span of time.

That list shows just how underrated Beltre has been.

Hmm. Are you saying that no one used steriods before 1990 and haven't used after 2009?

Not to nit-pick, but offense didn't go through the roof until 1993. 1990-92 was actually pretty average in terms of runs/game.

AJ, Cecil Fielder had 51 home runs in 1990. Roger Clemens had a 1.93 era. Look at how many .300+ hitters we had in 1990. These guys were crushing the ball back then.

AJ, Cecil Fielder had 51 home runs in 1990. Roger Clemens had a 1.93 era. Look at how many .300+ hitters we had in 1990. These guys were crushing the ball back then.

You're picking out a few outliers - there are always exceptions, although players performing outside of the normal range in any era. The numbers clearly support my assertion that offense exploded in 1993, as especially evinced by runs per game:

1990: 4.26

1991: 4.31

1992: 4.12

1993: 4.60

1994: 4.92

2009: 4.61

2010: 4.38

2011: 4.28

2012: 4.32

2013: 4.17

2014: 4.07

The runs/game was at 4.59 or higher every year from 1993 to 2009, with a high of 5.14 in 2000 and a low of 4.59 in 2005.

Before 1993 other than the flukey 1987 (4.72), you have to go back to the 1950s to get above 4.6 again. The majority of years range between around 3.7 and 4.3 runs per game, so we could look at 4 as about the historical average.

The guy who wrote this has 35 million+ views, so it's a little bit more than just a community blog. 

Submit a sports article example of your own, and see if they accept you as a writer. 

http://bleacherreport.com/writer_application

OK, fair enough. I'm not trashing Bleacher Report, I was just under the impression that it is more of an amateur site. Nothing wrong with that.

As for your recommendation there, I'm not sure what your point is. I feel confident that I could write pieces of comparable quality to most of what I've seen on Bleacher Report, especially if I was getting paid for it!

It is a great accomplishment and should be noted.  I just hope that Albert can contribute to the Angels future successes.

People will bitch about anything.... or ignore everything to maintain their egocentric existence.

I think that 1990's baseball was very entertaining to watch as a fan. If you're bias because the Angels never saw the post season in the 1990's then that's a different discussion.

Anyone know if there's a *ucking dislike button anywhere?