• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rutledge the early favorite for 2B

Josh Rutledge and Johnny Giavotella turning double plays with the starting infield. #secondbasewatch

Grant Green is standing off to the side with his head down and shoulders slumped. Taylor Featherston, upon being informed he will be competing as a utility infielder took it as he'll be playing rover, like in T-Ball.  So he's out standing there about 20 feet behind second base wondering why no one is hitting any grounders to him. 

what has Grant Green done to garner all of this support?

was it his .635 OPS in 2014?

or was it the 4 hits in his last 27 ABs last year?

#'s in the minors, upside, and sample sizes. 

Think we should be rooting for anyone that can be steady and contribute this year.

all four guys have done well enough at the plate in the minors to warrant consideration.  Featherston is the best glove and a rule 5 so my guess is he's pretty much a lock to make the team.  

Among the other three, whoever management deems as the most capable for the position I am ok with.   

what has Grant Green done to garner all of this support?

was it his .635 OPS in 2014?

or was it the 4 hits in his last 27 ABs last year?

What has Rutledge done to garner a top relief prospect and support from the FO and management?

Is it his 83 OPS+ in one of the biggest hitters parks in baseball?

I think the bottom line is that Angel management is not nearly as high on Green being the future 2B as most of the people on this forum are.

For whatever reason. 

The team seems to be really focusing on ways to improve on the defensive side of the game -- Green falls seriously short in that department.  I don't really get why people are so hell bent in playing him at 2B.  Given that I don't think much of Matt Joyce's defensive abilities, I'd much sooner have Green split time in LF and at DH than play him everyday at 2B.

What has Rutledge done to garner a top relief prospect and support from the FO and management?

Is it his 83 OPS+ in one of the biggest hitters parks in baseball?

To be fair, his 83 OPS+ is equal to or better than anyone else currently vying for the 2B job.  He's also younger than Green or Giavotella and had a better minor league track record from a pure OPS standpoint.   The Angels wouldn't break camp with Featherston at 2B, just to keep from rushing him and setting him back IMO....

Not sure that Rutledge is really the best candidate so much as he's the tallest of the pygmies.

Edited by Inside Pitch

If I had to shortly summarize each...

1. Green - intriguing bat, athleticism. Serious defensive question marks.

2. Rutledge - Likely to hit for average and play adequate defense. Very little upside.

3. Giavotella - May hit for average and steal some bases. Athleticism may not transfer to the big leagues.

4. Featherston - Most talented, best defensive option. Not fully developed yet.

5. Yarbrough - Will hit for average and some pop. Adequate defense. Questionable patience, not fully developed yet.

If that were my group of options, I'd probably go with either Green or Featherston. But Rutledge and Giavotella shouldn't be discounted either.

The part that irks me is that the job will be handed to Rutledge, we know it will no matter what is reported and by no means has Rutledge earned the right to be handed a starting position on a World Series caliber team. He should be in competition for it though, he's earned that.