• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rutledge the early favorite for 2B

FWIW, Josh Rutledge has been hitting in the group with Pujols, Freese and Aybar all week. Clearly leading the 2B race at the moment. #Angels

He has the most MLB experience of any of the candidates, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising. Still, I figured Green would be the guy.

Edited by WallyWorld

You had to see that coming right? The Angels didn't trade Kendrick to put Heaney in AAA, they didn't trade their 7th inning option for Joyxe just to platoon him, they didn't trade their best RP prospect for Rutledge just to bury him on the depth chart.

It doesn't matter if we like the decisions or not, the Angels will start Rutledge at 2B, Joyce will bat against LHP and Heaney will be the 5th starter.

I think the bottom line is that Angel management is not nearly as high on Green being the future 2B as most of the people on this forum are.

For whatever reason. 

And that's fine. Green hasn't really shown much other than some flashes here and there with the bat.

They still have two other options though (3 if you include Yarbrough) and one of those options is a pretty decent prospect in Featherston. Handing over the job to Rutledge because they gave up a solid piece for him and because he has the most experience is a poor decision though. He has yet to do anything to earn that starting spot.

Edited by tdawg87

The Angels haven't "handed the job" to anyone. But someone has to hit in the group with Aybar, and someone has to start at 2B in the opener on Thursday. (I assume that will be Rutledge too.)

I really only pointed that out to confirm what should have been obvious: Rutledge is starting with the top spot. But he can still lose it.

By the way, I'll have a story up on Featherston tomorrow. Spoiler: he's the most talented of the 4.

You had to see that coming right? The Angels didn't trade Kendrick to put Heaney in AAA, they didn't trade their 7th inning option for Joyxe just to platoon him, they didn't trade their best RP prospect for Rutledge just to bury him on the depth chart.

It doesn't matter if we like the decisions or not, the Angels will start Rutledge at 2B, Joyce will bat against LHP and Heaney will be the 5th starter.

You don't really think Jiaro Diaz is a better prospect than Bedrosian and Gott, do you?

The Angels haven't "handed the job" to anyone.

We'll see come opening day. If Rutledge earns the spot and gets it then I'll be happy with it. But if he stinks it up in spring and still gets the job then I'm absolutely going to question the decision.

Jeff:  I could see Green or Rutledge in a utility role but would it seem Featherston is kind of all or nothing? He either wins the job or you send him back under Rule 5?

By the way, I'll have a story up on Featherston tomorrow. Spoiler: he's the most talented of the 4.

Jeff: I could see Green or Rutledge in a utility role but would it seem Featherston is kind of all or nothing? He either wins the job or you send him back under Rule 5?

Just the opposite. Green and Rutledge both can be optioned Featherston can't. Id say he has the least chance of being ready to be everyday 2B today but the only way they keep him until he is ready is by stashing him on the big league bench all year, so that's what they'd like to do.

If Featherston and Rutledge make the team and Green goes to AAA, they keep all 3.

(Giavotella is out of options but there's a better chance he slips through waivers and sticks around. Featherston will have to go back to Colorado.)

Just the opposite. Green and Rutledge both can be optioned Featherston can't. Id say he has the least chance of being ready to be everyday 2B today but the only way they keep him until he is ready is by stashing him on the big league bench all year, so that's what they'd like to do.

If Featherston and Rutledge make the team and Green goes to AAA, they keep all 3.

(Giavotella is out of options but there's a better chance he slips through waivers and sticks around. Featherston will have to go back to Colorado.)

thanks for laying that out so clearly, Jeff. Sounds like Green really has his work cut out of him if he wants to make the team out of camp.

Edited by WallyWorld

I think the bottom line is that Angel management is not nearly as high on Green being the future 2B as most of the people on this forum are.

For whatever reason.

Probably some ridiculous reason like he's not jovial enough or mike doesn't like how he jogs back to the dugout

You don't really think Jiaro Diaz is a better prospect than Bedrosian and Gott, do you?

Yes very much so, though I understand I was mostly alone in this.  Diaz's fastball and slider were both better than Bedrock, Gott or Reynolds'.  Throwing 99-101, keeping it down in the zone, slider in the low 90's that just dives.  Diaz is going to be a closer real soon, much like R.J. Alvarez. 

Yes very much so, though I understand I was mostly alone in this. Diaz's fastball and slider were both better than Bedrock, Gott or Reynolds'. Throwing 99-101, keeping it down in the zone, slider in the low 90's that just dives. Diaz is going to be a closer real soon, much like R.J. Alvarez.

Diaz had been a train wreck until a good half-season in AA. Maybe he has turned a corner, but nothing in his past suggests he is going to amount to anything.

Diaz had been a train wreck until a good half-season in AA. Maybe he has turned a corner, but nothing in his past suggests he is going to amount to anything.

I've paid attention to prospects long enough to know when I've witnessed a breakout. Diaz is the real deal.

Fun fact, back when Erik Bedard was still good and pitching for the Orioles, the Angeks approached them about a trade. The O's mentioned Aybar and Diaz, the Angels wisely said no. Common belief at the time was that Brandon Wood could take over SS.

Maybe we are thinking of two different players. Bedard hasn't pitched for Baltimore since 2007. Diaz didn't first pitch for the Angels until 2010, three years later. Was Diaz even in the Angels organization when Bedard pitched for Baltimore?

Maybe we are thinking of two different players. Bedard hasn't pitched for Baltimore since 2007. Diaz didn't first pitch for the Angels until 2010, three years later. Was Diaz even in the Angels organization when Bedard pitched for Baltimore?

Diaz had originally agreed to sign with the Angels in 2007 (age 16) as both a pitcher and catcher.  Part of his agreement was that he'd be allowed to play the field and throw bullpens on the side. Most teams saw him as a pitcher, and were even willing to sign him for more than the Angels offered, the Orioles included, who obviously felt they saw something special in him.  But he wanted to play the field and the Angels offered that.

I always thought it was silly the Angels tried him out as a starter.  He basically couldn't do anything from the windup and his stuff so clearly worked better in the pen.  But the Angels do that with a lot of guys that'll end up in relief, just to get them innings and experience.  Alcantara, Jewell, Bedrosian, Wood...