• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How soon before Moncada and Olivera sign?

So Hamilton prevents this but Vernon didn't prevent Albert and Albert didn't prevent Hamilton? How bout it's as simple as risk versus reward.

Different situations.....when we traded for Wells, we were in a better payroll spot, had things spread out a little better....3 significant signings in 12/13 has seemingly put a damper on things, forget the fact that CJ has been inconsistent, Albert is ok but not putting up the #'s he did in his prime and Hamilton has been awful.....not sure any of that has mattered, when you have half of your payroll invested in 3 guys, it can be a drag...and add Trout to it (forget the fact that, unlike the others, he is in his prime) and it's a lopsided payroll for sure...

What is the worst thing that happens if the Halos sign Moncada?

They can't let other commitments (Hackilton & Pujols especially) tie them up, if that is the case, when a 5 tool player with his whole MLB career ahead of him like Moncada comes along.

It's only the actual salary, and not the tax, that counts against the luxury tax.

But if they deceide not to pursue him, there is then NO reason to not sign Olivera or Ibanez.

Edited by Angel Oracle

This is a signing bonus. His salary will be like any draft pick out of college or high school. Figure one year minor league, three years at the major league minimum and then three ARB years, provide he is not signed to an extended contract somewhere along the line. So his salary cap will be minor for at least four years as I understand it.

To me it comes down to one simple question. What is freese gonna cost next year, and who is our backup plan if freese leaves/is too expensive/gets hurt etc.

I dont know prospects like some of you guys, so i can only go based on what i read here and some other sites. But imo, beltre should be a bigger lesson than hamilton. Hamiltons contract burned us, not just because of performance, but we had a solid outfield without him. Beltre was the first plus 3B that came along forever, theres been none since, and we still have yet to have an in house option. Callaspo was 'fine', he was good for what we needed him to be (good glove, good back of the order hitter).

At least have a plan. If the plan is to go hard next winter with a better FA crop, cool, but they need to have an idea of what were gonna do at 3rd sooner rsther than later

Ten,

Kubitza would be the main backup along with Green and even Giavotella.

However I would love to see the Angels sigh Hector Olivera to play 3B and trade Freese. However that won't happen now that we have Kubitza.

Kubitz is our future 3B as of now.

Edited by ettin

I really like Olivera and think that he would be a great #2 hitter behind Calhoun and in front of Trout or even in the #5/#6 spot. At $12MM for the next 4-5 years that wouldn't be a bad price to pay if he produces around a 2 WAR mark, which I really do think he could do. He was known for his power and OBP abilities in Cuba and I really feel like he would impact our lineup and would do decently on defense at 2B or even 3B (I actually prefer the latter).

If you think that Howie would produce 2.8 WAR (according to Steamer) that would make him worth about $20MM for next season albeit he is starting to age. I commend the Angels for at least looking at this option as I suggested they might in the Angels Primer (Part II).

I really like Olivera and think that he would be a great #2 hitter behind Calhoun and in front of Trout or even in the #5/#6 spot. At $12MM for the next 4-5 years that wouldn't be a bad price to pay if he produces around a 2 WAR mark, which I really do think he could do. He was known for his power and OBP abilities in Cuba and I really feel like he would impact our lineup and would do decently on defense at 2B or even 3B (I actually prefer the latter). If you think that Howie would produce 2.8 WAR (according to Steamer) that would make him worth about $20MM for next season albeit he is starting to age. I commend the Angels for at least looking at this option as I suggested they might in the Angels Primer (Part II).

I agree. Olivera would make some sense. As much as I would prefer Moncada, we aren't going to get him. Moncada makes a lot of sense for the organization, who can use him at either 3B or 2B.

Don't get me wrong by the way I actually like Kubitza a lot too especially as a #2 hitter. His ability to take walks and avoid strikeouts is a real strength and would slot very well between Calhoun and Trout.

If the Angels go after Olivera it really would be at 2B probably.

Don't get me wrong by the way I actually like Kubitza a lot too especially as a #2 hitter. His ability to take walks and avoid strikeouts is a real strength and would slot very well between Calhoun and Trout. If the Angels go after Olivera it really would be at 2B probably.

i worry about the length in kubitza's swing. 

I am quite sure every team has scouted this guy extensively.  I still stick by my math that laying out 80+ mil for a guy 2+ years from the majors is a substantial risk and while it would be great to get him, I can see why a team would be reluctant to pony up.  

I agree with the sentiment that Oliva might be the better play.   Major league ready and we have an open competition at 2b where he is likely more talented than what we have.  No tax involved as well.  

I think the main hold up with Olivera is teams just aren't sure if he can stay on the field. This guy hasn't been a full time player in the field since 2012.

Similar to Maicer Izturis, I used to love the way he played the game, but it seemed like any time he'd leave his feet for a ball or stretch a single into a double, he pulled, strained, aggravated or broke something.

I think the main hold up with Olivera is teams just aren't sure if he can stay on the field. This guy hasn't been a full time player in the field since 2012.

Similar to Maicer Izturis, I used to love the way he played the game, but it seemed like any time he'd leave his feet for a ball or stretch a single into a double, he pulled, strained, aggravated or broke something.

Which for us would make sense since we have so many 2B options that could step in if needed to replace him. The upside I think is real with Olivera and if he does get injured or re-experiences his Thombrosis (or however you spell it) again we have options.

However the price will have to be right for the Angels without a doubt. If the bidding gets out of control the Angels will just roll with what they have.