• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scherzer, Lester or Shields.........

Ohtaniland

The Angels should have signed McCarthy instead of Joe Blanton in 2013. I actually said this at the time.

I was very firmly in the McCarthy camp that offseason.

Arizona told him to stop throwing his slider (I think it was the slider) and he got hit hard because of this.

The Yankees told him to throw whatever works. He did and it did.

Every free agent is 'overpaid' when you consider what they did prior to their FA years at club controlled cost.  So the ultimate goal is to develop your own players and get that built in cost containment.  

That said, we won 98 games last year and have SP gaps going into 2015 for at least two months.  You have to figure Lester and Scherzer will be very good for about 2 years if not 3 and then become mid rotation guys for a couple more years.  The last 2-3 years of any FA pitcher contract is likely gonna suck.  

But if we are considering the window of opportunity being the next two years, then it's worth it to the same degree as trading away a bunch of Rondons for a closer.  

I am not normally a huge fan of FA contracts to pitchers, but in this case, I would make an exception for someone like Lester.  Shields is ready to implode and I think Scherzer is an injury or massive velo decline waiting to happen.  

My vote is that we get Lester.  Might as well keep the 'window of opportunity' theme going.  

Every free agent is 'overpaid' when you consider what they did prior to their FA years at club controlled cost. So the ultimate goal is to develop your own players and get that built in cost containment.

That said, we won 98 games last year and have SP gaps going into 2015 for at least two months. You have to figure Lester and Scherzer will be very good for about 2 years if not 3 and then become mid rotation guys for a couple more years. The last 2-3 years of any FA pitcher contract is likely gonna suck.

But if we are considering the window of opportunity being the next two years, then it's worth it to the same degree as trading away a bunch of Rondons for a closer.

I am not normally a huge fan of FA contracts to pitchers, but in this case, I would make an exception for someone like Lester. Shields is ready to implode and I think Scherzer is an injury or massive velo decline waiting to happen.

My vote is that we get Lester. Might as well keep the 'window of opportunity' theme going.

I think the only way this happens is if they non-tender Freese and trade Kendrick.

I am coming around to the McCarthy idea. I'd be ok with 3/30, even though that is probably an overpay based on his history of injuries (and frequent mediocrity).

With the demise of CJ, Richards likely out until May and Skaggs out until August at least, I would sign Lester. Then, if Skaggs comes back by August, I'd look to trade CJ at the deadline for a bullpen arm. Hell, I'd take a Salas or Jepsen clone at this point for Wilson.

With the demise of CJ, Richards likely out until May and Skaggs out until August at least, I would sign Lester. Then, if Skaggs comes back by August, I'd look to trade CJ at the deadline for a bullpen arm. Hell, I'd take a Salas or Jepsen clone at this point for Wilson.

Skaggs is out all of 2015. Reports also said that Richards should be ready to go Opening Day FWIW. 

I really hope Lester isn't considered. There's literally going to be no payroll flexibility the next 5 years if he's signed. 

Skaggs is out all of 2015. Reports also said that Richards should be ready to go Opening Day FWIW.

I really hope Lester isn't considered. There's literally going to be no payroll flexibility the next 5 years if he's signed.

weren't reports saying kendrys Morales was going to be ready for spring training 2011?

and his injury was earlier in the season.

I'll believe Richards is pitching next year when I see him on the mound at the big A

weren't reports saying kendrys Morales was going to be ready for spring training 2011?

and his injury was earlier in the season.

I'll believe Richards is pitching next year when I see him on the mound at the big A

Unless they completely screw up the surgery like they did with Morales, I have no reason to believe that Richards won't be ready.

I disagree with you regarding no payroll flexibility for the next 5 years. Aybar, Kendrick, Weaver, CJ, Hamilton all come off the books in less than 5 years. Even adding the pay increases to Pujols and Trout still doesn't amount to no payroll flexibility for the next 5 years.

Mr. and Mrs. McCarthy as a package deal is nice.

He finally pitched 200+ innings in 2014 for the first time, and had a rock solid 1.15 WHIP and 2.89 ERA in 14 starts for the Skanks after leaving Arizona.

Of course, the Skanks don't have much themselves after Tanaka and the always health question Pineda and big health risk and declining Sabathia.

I can see the Skanks offering McCarthy 4 years/$50 million.

The Yanks are going to sign Max or Lester.