• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scherzer, Lester or Shields.........

Ohtaniland

I don't see the Halos seriously making a bid for any of these guys -- perhaps Shields -- but after KC's post-season run, I don't see how the Royals don't do what it takes to bring him back on a one plus one type deal.......

Scherzer is looking for Grienke/Kershaw type contract and I don't see the Halos doing that and I don't think they should......that's a lot of money tied up in one player, a rotation guy -- if the KC Royals and even the SF Giants match up shows anything -- it's that it is more about team chemistry than big contracts.......Halos have enough big long term contracts......they should shy away from any more.

I don't see Lester staying on the West Coast -- I think he returns to Boston - would make the most sense for him -- these guys make enough money with all these contracts, I think with a guy like Lester it is more important to go some place where he is comfortable with the surroundings and can pitch well...........Boston is the place for Lester.

If I were the Angels, one guy I would really try to sign this year would be Wade Davis -- before KC's late season/ post season run, it was just assumed that the Royals would not pay what it would take to re-sign-- now they might -- but Davis signed for rotation type money for his last contract (two years ago?) and has been converted to a set up/ pen guy (and a very successful one).

So my take would be this -- we don't have the money or the desire to sign a top flight rotation guy -- let's go with the best we got in the system (Shoemaker should be back, hopefully Garrett Richards will be back by June/ July -- but we can't count on him -- Weaver's back and I have to believe that CJ Wilson has something left even if its just the first half and perhaps as a fourth starter, five / six inning pitcher --)

I would try to boost the pen as we had some late season success with that formula -- (and KC, among others, has shown that when a team can shorten games, they win games) -- so what's Street's situation, we need him back, Smith is back, we need to add some quality pen arms --

so, I wouldn't go after Sherzer, Lester -- maybe Shields -- but I think the Royals front office would face an uproar if they let Shields get away -- regardless of the W/S outcome.

Yea the team has to decide if they are going to change it's identity or not. Are you a big market team that spends money on big name free agents or are you going to develop your own through trades and the draft? We as fans have to decide if we are patient enough (most of is aren't) to wait out a philosophic change. By the way fewer and fewer 25-28 year old starting pitchers are hitting the market, same goes for high caliber offensive talent. So if you want a front line starter from the market, they are going to be expensive and 30+. In the year where there is a 25-28 year old starter, they will be giving them 7-8 year deals instead of 5-6.

yeah....

For all the complaining Angel fans do...try being an A's fan.

Go ahead, try it. This is the biggest tease franchise I've ever seen.

Well, maybe tied with the Sharks. Maybe.

DW711 has all my respect for being a consistent contributing member of this forum. 

When I think of the A's and the A's-Angels rilvary, I remember Jason Kendall stealing home when KRod threw a tantrum and forgot to catch the ball.  I remember thinking to myself, I despise and admire these A's all at the same time.

In other words, it's great to talk baseball with anybody.

Edited by NorCal Halo

IMO, Liriano is the pitcher to get.  He won't cost as much as these three, but he is a solid pitcher.

Richards, Weaver, Shoemaker, Liriano & Wilson would be a solid rotation, especially if Wilson can bounce back.

I like McCarthy. His peripherals have always been good and the last few years, he's been in hitters parks in New York and Arizona.

Injuries are a concern but even 150 innings from him is valuable. I'd sign him to a 2/25 or 3/30 type of deal. 

Mr. and Mrs. McCarthy as a package deal is nice.

He finally pitched 200+ innings in 2014 for the first time, and had a rock solid 1.15 WHIP and 2.89 ERA in 14 starts for the Skanks after leaving Arizona.

Of course, the Skanks don't have much themselves after Tanaka and the always health question Pineda and big health risk and declining Sabathia.

I can see the Skanks offering McCarthy 4 years/$50 million.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Mr. and Mrs. McCarthy as a package deal is nice.

He finally pitched 200+ innings in 2014 for the first time, and had a rock solid 1.15 WHIP and 2.89 ERA in 14 starts for the Skanks after leaving Arizona.

Of course, the Skanks don't have much themselves after Tanaka and the always health question Pineda and big health risk and declining Sabathia.

I can see the Skanks offering McCarthy 4 years/$50 million.

The Angels should have signed McCarthy instead of Joe Blanton in 2013. I actually said this at the time.