• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WFAN rumor: Mets interested in Hamilton

NJHalo

This situation is not unlike getting dealt a pair of pocket kings, betting a 1/3 of your stack and then seeing the turn and an ace is on the board and your opponent raises. You know your Kings aren't good anymore but you have to fight the urge to continue playing the hand.

Hamilton's cost is sunk. The money will be paid out no matter what we do with him. If you feel he is junk dump the hand. If you think it's still good play on.

This situation is not unlike getting dealt a pair of pocket kings, betting a 1/3 of your stack and then seeing the turn and an ace is on the board and your opponent raises. You know your Kings aren't good anymore but you have to fight the urge to continue playing the hand. Hamilton's cost is sunk. The money will be paid out no matter what we do with him. If you feel he is junk dump the hand. If you think it's still good play on.

Braintrust is pot committed.  I could tell during the playoffs.

If there were any positive signs that would suggest that things would get better, I would say keep Hamilton. But the excessive aches and pains and missed games, suggest to me that there are bigger problems looming. Make the trade!!

Those telltale signs were observable his last year in Texas as well.  Some 'smart' baseball people didn't do their homework.  An LA-centric owner saw a shiny bauble and had $125 million burning a hole in his pocket.

This situation is not unlike getting dealt a pair of pocket kings, betting a 1/3 of your stack and then seeing the turn and an ace is on the board and your opponent raises. You know your Kings aren't good anymore but you have to fight the urge to continue playing the hand. Hamilton's cost is sunk. The money will be paid out no matter what we do with him. If you feel he is junk dump the hand. If you think it's still good play on.

thanks for the poker lesson.

Roger Dorn Hackilton hit exactly ZERO HRs at home in 2014.   .616 home OPS vs .874 road OPS in 2014!

That might just be the WORST home season in franchise history for ANY hitter not named Mathisn't or Wood!  

Imagine what happens if he goes to an even more difficult stadium for power hitters, in Citi Field.

Imagine the frustration.....that road OPS and yet he sucks so much at home?

Edited by Angel Oracle

even if this were legit, which i doubt, why would you pay that much salary to aquire a 4-4.5 ERA pitcher in the AL with a questionable WHIP?
are some of you that desperate to dump Hamilton?  really?   
now ask yourselves why NYM would make that deal when some of you would literally give him away right now?

id rather hope he gets it together personally, but thats me.

The money is already locked into a contract. The Hamilton Project has not worked. If you can get something viable in return, why not? Besides, if we have to eat 70-75%, doesn't that mean we are saving 30-25%?

Edited by 19HALO71

I don't believe this rumor at all.  Paying 70% of Hamilton's contract makes zero sense.  It'd be one thing if it was a bad contract swap but no way Arte pays 70%.  I think the Angels ride it out with Hamilton and hopes he remembers how to hit.  If not, he becomes the most expensive bench player in baseball and hopefully just retires.  Like many have already stated, he looked checked out in every at bat.  He looks like he lost his love for the game.

The money is already been spent. The Hamilton Project has not worked. If you can get something viable in return, why not? Besides, if we have to eat 70-75%, doesn't that mean we are saving 30-25%?

Saving 30-25% and getting a serviceable (not great) SP in return...

It makes complete sense to trade a league average (or below) hitter that would bat 4th or 5th every night for a slightly below league average starting pitcher that would be 4th or 5th in the rotation. Especially when we desperately need SPs.

And we get a little salary relief from that awful contract? It's a no brainer.

Edited by Hollyw00d

The money is already locked into a contract. The Hamilton Project has not worked. If you can get something viable in return, why not? Besides, if we have to eat 70-75%, doesn't that mean we are saving 30-25%?

Niese isn't free, he is owed 17 million guaranteed over the next 2 years (including buyouts).   He's got a total of 37 million due over the next 4 years if his options were picked up.   At best they save 10 mil.   I'm all for trading Hamilton, but losing a league average bat to acquire a guy that likely puts up an ERA north of 4.50 for 10 mil in savings seems less than ideal.

it means you are overpaying for an average pitcher instead of an average hitter.

at least the average hitter has a chance to be better based on his history, the pitcher doesnt

i truly dont get the Hamilton hate... yes i know hes underperformed to expectations but sheesh!!

Niese isn't free, he is owed 17 million guaranteed over the next 2 years (including buyouts).   He's got a total of 37 million due over the next 4 years if his options were picked up.   At best they save 10 mil.   I'm all for trading Hamilton, but losing a league average bat to acquire a guy that likely puts up an ERA north of 4.50 for 10 mil in savings seems less than ideal.

You're forgetting the addition by subtraction factor.

Moving Hamilton would give scioscia one less overpaid veteran to hurt the team with, and he would finally be forced to bat someone better in the middle of the order. Left field defense would most likely improve as well. And the rotation gets a back end pitcher, of which there are exactly zero right now. League average or not.

You do this deal.

It makes complete sense to trade a league average (or below) hitter that would bat 4th or 5th every night for a slightly below league average starting pitcher that would be 4th or 5th in the rotation. Especially when we desperately need SPs.

And we get a little salary relief from that awful contract? It's a no brainer.

So we pay $20 million a year to not have Hamilton, saving ourselves about $20 million over three years, then we get to take on a average to below average starter for $9 more million? No thanks. I would rather take my chances on Hamilton returning to being around a 3 WAR player. He would be over paid but not useless.