• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

WFAN rumor: Mets interested in Hamilton

NJHalo

Yea we would pay him, an offensive player $20 million instead of $25 million, so yes we would still be stocked in offensive expensive players. Oh and if we are paying him to play on a different team there's no chance for him to be a valuable player for us.

The difference being the roster spot would be freed for another need (like SP), some of the contract impact would be lessened, an average to below hitter would be removed from the clean up and/or middle of the order, defense in left field would be improved, and the clubhouse and team attitude would improve.

That's the difference. How you see that as the "same" argument is beyond me.

Because Niese wouldn't be replacing Hamilton he would be replacing Rasmus in the rotation. Is he better than Rasmus? Then we would get Cowgill in LF, is he better than Hamilton? Doubtful. As far as team attitude, well more than a couple people on the team talked about how great the clubhouse was this year, so to assume he was an issue is just a guess on your part.

I'd rather keep and play Hamilton over paying him $20 million and Niese $9 million. I would fix the staff by signing one of the big name guys, I don't care which one. If we lose the last pick in the first round or whatever that pick would be so be it. I would also then trade Howie for the best young arm or arms I could get.

Niese has been 3.40, 3.71 and 3.40 the last 3 years....pitcher friendly park and easier league to pitch in but not sure it equates to an ERA a full run a game higher....

His most recent three year sample includes his career season  -- he's managed an ERA+ of 105 over that span, he's at 99 the last 2 years.    AL batters put up a .301/.329/.493 line against him this year -- for his career (16 starts) those numbers rise to .315/.370.512 -- a 4.78 ERA, WHIP over 1.5.  His career ERA home Vs. away is 0.72 higher away.   A person could argue that the AL sample size is too small, they could just as easily argue that it's common for players to do better at home than on the road, none of this guarantees he would suck, but there is enough there to question his ability to make the transition from the NL to the AL.  Add in the questions regarding his arm and the reality that he's guaranteed 17 mil ... I don't think the guy sucks, but there is just a lot not to like IMO..