• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scottish Independence

Lhalo

I finally got some input from two friends living in the UK - one in Wales, one in England. My Welsh friend said that while he wished that Wales could be independent, he realizes that in today's world that isn't realistic. He chuckled at the Scots for wanting complete independence on the one hand but wanting to continue to use the British pound as their national currency.

My English friend went into quite a bit more detail. He said that Scotland has oil, but that is a finite resource. He wondered aloud about what happens to Scotland when the oil runs out, since they have little else of value to support a national economy. He admitted that the United Kingdom in and of itself is an outdated concept that was of much more value when England had a worldwide empire. He said that Scotland is counting on joining the European Union, which is not a guarantee. If Scotland did succeed in Joining the EU they would likely adopt the Euro, which would complicate trade with the countries of the former UK because it adds the dimension of an exchange rate. The EU also has problems of its own without adding another nation, and a newly independent one at that. My friend said that Scotland is looking at Norway and Denmark as examples of the success that would lie ahead of them as an independent nation, but severing ties that have existed for centuries may have unintended consequences.

Both friends believe that many Scots are blinded by nationalistic idealism, and that life as an independent nation would be far different from what most Scots envision.

Sounds like Scotland may become the next Greece, if this vote goes through.  Would make tourism in England/Scotland a nightmare if they had two different currencies.  Just from the juice the exchange rates get.

A lot of businesses have said the same thing - if Scotland splits off, they're gone.

RBS and Lloyds are two of them.

I'm not really sure why some Scots want to jump onto the sinking ship called the Euro. They would probably be better off creating their own currency.

I'm not really sure why some Scots want to jump onto the sinking ship called the Euro. They would probably be better off creating their own currency.

I don't know that they won't. The currency part of Scottish independence hasn't been fully worked out - which I don't understand, because that is a pretty important component of it. I just don't see the point in them joining the EU if they aren't going to be a full fledged member of it.

I don't know that they won't. The currency part of Scottish independence hasn't been fully worked out - which I don't understand, because that is a pretty important component of it. I just don't see the point in them joining the EU if they aren't going to be a full fledged member of it.

I am pretty sure that to join the EU, all current members have to vote yes and Spain has already said they will vote no because of Catalonia wanting to break away. 

http://madmonarchist.blogspot.com/2014/09/scottish-independence-is-their-any-doubt.html

>Very soon the Kingdom of Scotland will be voting on whether or not to become an independent country. No, I’m sorry, that’s not true because even if the “Yes” vote wins, Scotland will be no more independent than it is now, perhaps even less so, but it will be voting on whether to leave the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and then submit to the ruling elite of the European Union directly. In the past, some people have been offended by my saying that any country that is a member of the European Union is no longer an independent country but I can see it in no other way.

YesScotland has the more professional website. 

It is certainly very well done. I watched some of their video presentations, and they sound very compelling on the surface. Of course, I have to wonder how a group who haven't even figured out what currency they are going to use if they win can offer free university education to all of the country's children, and to replace all the government services currently provided by Great Britain with no agencies currently in place to do so