• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Trade Deadline Thread

Tyler

The Houston GM tells Rosenthal that the lack of available starting pitching has prompted him to consider dealing Keuchel, McHugh, or right-hander Jarred Cosart

• If the Angels do add a starting pitcher, a rental probably makes more sense for them,tweets Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.  The Mike Trout extension counts towards their competitive balance tax payroll next season, so they won’t have much wiggle room. Meanwhile, one industry source sees the Angels as more of a player for a starter in August when they take take advantage of available money without dealing prospects (link).  The Angels have $15MM in breathing room before they surpass the tax threshold, but they are hesitant to deal more prospects after dealing six to land Joe Thatcher and Huston Street (link).

• There’s “absolutely nothing” brewing on trade talks for Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon at the moment, a source tells Andy Martino of the New York Daily News (on Twitter).

The Dodgers are investigating every top available starter, including Red Sox veteran John Lackey, sources tell Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter).  Of course, the Dodgers are also looking into the likes of Cole HamelsDavid Price, and Lackey’s teammate, Jon Lester.

Right now, I think the Angels could use another starting pitcher. I'd get on the phones with Houston, but we probably don't have much farm system left to acquire of any of three, cheap pitchers they're open to moving. However, we do have some tradeable ML pieces right now.

Edited by Shane

i think the one about the rental is the only one that has any credence, but even that's a reach as i don't think we do anything in that regard.  
The guys we have at the back end of the rotation may not be names, but they have gotten it done and are part of the future of the club at this point so.

I like the roster as it stands, ill take my chances with it in that regard barring anything unforeseen

i dont think money is an issue, Arte wants to win, he will take the hit for the right deal im sure... but the question really is what is that deal?
We tried the rental thing before, its no guarantee even if the guy is a stud
you keep your eyes and ears open of course but i dont think we need to do anything really

The Angels don't need another starter. Once you reach October, the Division Series you only need 3 starters. The Championship and World Series you only need 4 starters. I think if CJ can come back and pitch well the rest of the year, that gives you Weaver, Wilson, and Richards. If the Angels make it to the ALCS and World Series, you have Santiago, Skaggs, and Shoemaker for that fourth spot. The other two are in the bullpen in case someone gets in trouble.

I doubt we will be able to get anyone in August that is going to give us something significantly better than what we already have.

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
(12:47 pm ET) While it seems unlikely the Rockies will trade shortstop Troy Tulowitzki by Thursday's non-waiver deadline, MLB.com reports the team spent much of Monday evaluating major-league players and prospects from the Mets' organization. New York has been a team linked to Tulowitzki rumors in the last week.

MLB.com also reports the Rockies spent time evaluating players within the Cardinals and Angels organizations. They are considered two teams with money and major-league-ready players that would intrigue the Rockies' front office, if they were to inquire about a trade.

Plus Tulo would of course have to move to 3B, and I would assume the Halos have that in mind.

And besides, who is left to trade from the farm?

Read the article again. 

"Major League Ready Players" mean Cron, Green, Calhoun etc. etc. 

by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

(12:47 pm ET) While it seems unlikely the Rockies will trade shortstop Troy Tulowitzki by Thursday's non-waiver deadline, MLB.com reports the team spent much of Monday evaluating major-league players and prospects from the Mets' organization. New York has been a team linked to Tulowitzki rumors in the last week.

MLB.com also reports the Rockies spent time evaluating players within the Cardinals and Angels organizations. They are considered two teams with money and major-league-ready players that would intrigue the Rockies' front office, if they were to inquire about a trade.

I can't even think of a trade that would bring Tulo to Anaheim.

Cron, Bedrosian, Cowart, Sherman Johnson, Nate Smith... still don't see how we can bring him in, unfortunately.

I only kept Pujols and Hamilton 3/4 because they will never move out of those spots with Scioscia.

Hamilton has hit in multiple lineup locations since coming to the Angels. If you are going to invent a meme...make sure it's real. 

No, Cron is exactly who'd they be looking at in that park. 

As a filler, maybe, but not the centerpiece of a deal...he's a low on base guy with some pop. He can play one defensive position, 1b, and he's average to below average at that. 

Cron has been a nice story this year, but let's not kid ourselves that he's more than what he is. He's a nice role player and role players aren't what the Rockies would want in return for Tulo.

As a filler, maybe, but not the centerpiece of a deal...he's a low on base guy with some pop. He can play one defensive position, 1b, and he's average to below average at that. 

Cron has been a nice story this year, but let's not kid ourselves that he's more than what he is. He's a nice role player and role players aren't what the Rockies would want in return for Tulo.

First off, I didn't say anything like him as a centerpiece of a deal. I know what type of player he is... PLUS pop, 1B with limited range and average glove. 

I'm not kidding anybody, nor should it look like I was kidding myself, as you can see in the post on page 1 that I even stated we don't have what it takes to bring Tulo over.

But for a team without a 1B prospect, the Rockies, Cron would  be an enticing piece because of his high contact rate + ability to use the entire field, plus power, and ability to come through with RISP.

Edited by Shane