• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rangers-Andrus nearing 8 year/$120 million extension

ludosc

8/75 wouldn't even get him to the table. That's not realistic at all, in my opinion. Offering less than $10MM per for a 24 year-old elite defense shortstop who possesses plus speed and who is a fan favorite is not going get a deal done. He's been a 4 WAR player for the last 2 seasons. That's what Hamilton is.

While I agree that 8/75 wouldn't be enough... it's not that far off either IMO.  A contract in the area of 8/85-88 seems more in line for what he's done and whatever projected improvement may come.

Aybar has been worth 3.8 WAR in each of the last two season's to Andrus' 4.0, he's slated to make 8.5 mil the next four years.  Even if you consider that Andrus is younger and likely to improve, is he going to improve to where he's likely to be more than 75% better than Aybar? 

To be honest, for me, it's the years more than the per anum... not many guys in MLB history that have played at that level for a period as long as 8 years.   The Rangers are basically targeting him as a HOF type talent.

At first this seems to be very generous by Texas. But what kind of player could you get for $15m/yr in 2018? I was shocked with dollar amounts on some of this year's off season signings.

It's certainly a giant vote of confidence for Andrus.   They clearly hold him in high regard.  

$120MM isn't HOF talent money. Not in 2013.

Nobody said it was..  

I did however point to the numbers put up by HOF players to show how unlikely it is that Andrus is able to perform at that level for such an extended period of time much less 8 years in a row..

It's not a horrible contract, but it's hard to argue it's not an overpay.  Would anyone have been keen on the Angels signing Callaspo to a 2 year 20 Mil contract?  

Worth mentioning that the new Rangers TV contract starts with the 2015 season. I see the Rangers perspective that they might as well lock up their guy who is a fan favorite with some of that money. Just really tough to think of a career .275 with no pop making 15 milion per.

Was shocked when Aybar signed an extension pre free agency.

2015 Free Agent Shortstops from mlbtraderumors

Elvis Andrus (26)

Mike Aviles (34) - club option

Asdrubal Cabrera (29)

J.J. Hardy (32)

Jed Lowrie (31)

Hiroyuki Nakajima (32) - $5.5MM club option with a $500K buyout

Hanley Ramirez (31)

Cody Ransom (39)

Jimmy Rollins (36) - vesting/club/player option

Wilson Valdez (37)

does this buy out his existing contract starting this year?

that's about 11 mil.  so they are paying him an additional 109 for 6 yrs.  or an AAV of about 18 mil. for his age 26-31yo seasons

as a corollary, Erick Aybar is got a 5yr/40mil contract for his 28-32yo seasons. 

Andrus is an elite defender.  Perhaps even better than Aybar.  They are similar offensively with the edge to aybar in power and the edge to andrus in speed. 

Granted, Elvis is younger so the length makes sense, but the AAV is too much imo.  about 12-14 mil per would have been more expected.

Andrus is a good player, no doubt. $15M per year good? No. And I think it's gonna take MUCH more than Profar to pry Stanton away from Miami. It'll take much more than Profar + Olt to get Stanton. The Rangers would be more likely to get someone like Matt Adams from the Cards.

I think a Profar for Tevaras trade makes sense for both the Cardinals and Rangers.

It doesn't for the Cardinals. Taveras is in their long-term plans for the future. For them, the future begins September of this year or Opening Day 2014.

The guy is about as can't miss as it gets.

It doesn't for the Cardinals. Taveras is in their long-term plans for the future. For them, the future begins September of this year or Opening Day 2014.

The guy is about as can't miss as it gets.

Sure, but Profar is obviously a pretty amazing prospect as well and plays SS instead of corner OF.

I think it makes a fair amount of sense for both teams, but I wouldn't expect it to happen. I can't think of the last time teams did anything like that; and understandably no GM wants to end up being the guy who traded the top prospect who turns into a stud for the top prospect that doesn't turn into one.

Sure, but Profar is obviously a pretty amazing prospect as well and plays SS instead of corner OF.

I think it makes a fair amount of sense for both teams, but I wouldn't expect it to happen. I can't think of the last time teams did anything like that; and understandably no GM wants to end up being the guy who traded the top prospect who turns into a stud for the top prospect that doesn't turn into one.

Not quite on the same level but the Hamilton/Volquez trade was one of those that initially had both teams pretty nervous about. Ended up working out pretty well for both in the short term, more so the Rangers on the long term I'd say.

I think a lot of you are forgetting he is only 24 years of age. This is a really good deal for someone top five at a position that is scarce for talent, while he is only 24.

Knock up job the Texas Rangers front office.

It's not the years that's the issue. It's the 15 million per. Aybar is top 5 at SS and he is making 8.75 million per.

For me I'm with IP. The per annum amount isn't horrible. More than I would offer but I could definitely see a team offering him $15MM per in FA. But the years are killer. 8 years is a long contract. I wouldn't have offered more than 5 and I wouldn't have been working on an extension until after the season.

It's not the years that's the issue. It's the 15 million per. Aybar is top 5 at SS and he is making 8.75 million per.

Aybar is also 28 years old and is not peaking.

Elvis is 24 entering his prime while putting up already elite numbers. Elvis will only get better and he won't decline at all during the duration of the eight year contract.  This will be one of the better eight year deals.  15 million a year is market value for this guy. 

Also, Aybar has had a 4 WAR each of the last 2 seasons. I'd say he is "peaking". He isn't as young as Andrus and doesn't have the potential but assuming Andrus will be worth that much more than Aybar over the course of his contract is a bit of a stretch.

But hey, it's not only not our money, it's not even our team's money.

I believe he will be worth that much when it's all said and done.  Consistently getting 4+ WAR out of one player through the FA market costs a lot more than 15-18. I believe he will be on average a 4.7-5.2 WAR type player.  Barring injuries, I believe the Rangers made the right call on this deal. 

If the Rangers wanna throw around 100+ mill contracts to guys with a career OPS of .695 be my guest. This makes Aybars contract look amazing.

he's also one of the best defensive shortstops in the game and has baserunning value. aren't the angels paying hamilton like he's barry bonds in his prime? stop talking